Ditch the Neckerchief

I really would love to implement just the Yellow and Blue necker for all cubs in our Pack (Tiger through Bear, Webelos get the plaid ones).... and I'm one of the strict ones on uniforming.  But having to shell out $25 each year just in uniform gear.... not even including the belt buckle... it's absurd.  Are any other units doing this?

I always insisted boys hand down neckers. I wish I would have insisted they sign or initial the edge before ha didn it down. It would be need to see who had he one with the most names.
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Necker is the universal symbol of scouting, we should encourage its use and Scouters should wear it whenever they are in uniform

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.  

Pyramid scheme?  Not really, in a pyramid scheme quite often some of the victims get their money back.     (Added note, I was probably thinking more of a Ponzi scheme than a pyramid scheme, but I t

I always insisted boys hand down neckers. I wish I would have insisted they sign or initial the edge before ha didn it down. It would be need to see who had he one with the most names.

that's a great idea too! The only flaw, at least in our Pack, is the disparate number of boys in each den.   Nothing that can't be solved with the Pack grabbing one or two extras.  I really like that idea! 

I've tried to keep a steady supply of neckers and hats on hand for those situations where families can't readily afford new equipment for a boy moving up in rank. Whenever a boy ages up, I ask his parents if they are willing to donate any of their old things for future cub scouts coming up through the program. Not all do, but usually enough are willing for me to have a small supply ready for boys to draw from now and then. My bag currently has a couple of shirts, various neckers and slides, and some hats for the various ranks. It's not much but it's definitely helpful.

My area is pretty evenly split between those who are affluent enough to buy whole uniforms on a whim, and those who have to save up just to get a new woggle. Neither is it too hard to find people willing to donate things when there is a legitimate concern; I had one boy whose family couldn't afford anything, but donors stepped in and got him an entire uniforms new. Ask, and you shall receive!

• Upvote 2

I am the only one I know of that has patrol neckers in my troop.  Most troops have troop neckers.  There have been uniform police question me on this practice.  I always say the necker is optional and they can wear whatever they want and they want patrol neckers.

And then we turn to the Cubs.... well they have den neckers... and even if they went to a Pack necker, they would still be hyping the plaid for the Webelos boys. 

It's hypocrisy like this that keep the OCD uniform police awake at night.

I am the only one I know of that has patrol neckers in my troop.  Most troops have troop neckers.  There have been uniform police question me on this practice.  I always say the necker is optional and they can wear whatever they want and they want patrol neckers.

And then we turn to the Cubs.... well they have den neckers... and even if they went to a Pack necker, they would still be hyping the plaid for the Webelos boys. 

It's hypocrisy like this that keep the OCD uniform police awake at night.

Valid counter-point.  Thanks Stosh.  I think the only difference is that a Patrol will be a patrol for several years, a Cub is his "animal" for 1 year and then he moves on.  The other difference is in Cubs, it's the necker, the slide, the belt buckle, the hat... 

Inconsistency is not necessarily hypocrisy.  

The differences in Cub neckerchiefs are by program, not by den as such.

The BSA rule on neckerchiefs is largely ignored, like wearing denims with the blue Cub shirt.  Because most troops are not Patrol Method troops, there is little pressure for formally allowing patrol neckerchiefs.  Troop.  Troop.  Troop.

I think patrol neckerchiefs are a great idea, like large, square neckerchiefs and going back to registering patrols as "units."   So long as it has no financial impact, BSA would like those ideas too.

• Upvote 1

Our Troop has different neckerchiefs for each patrol; specifically because each patrol has their own colors drawn from their patrol flag, and so they wanted their neckers to coordinate with their flags in those very colors. So the "Mighty Knights" patrol uses black and silver in their flag and neckers, the "Savage Vikings" use brown and gold on both, et cetera et cetera. It has really helped cement the idea of patrol identity; I highly recommend this practice to those who haven't tried it!

• Upvote 3

Our Troop has different neckerchiefs for each patrol; specifically because each patrol has their own colors drawn from their patrol flag, and so they wanted their neckers to coordinate with their flags in those very colors. So the "Mighty Knights" patrol uses black and silver in their flag and neckers, the "Savage Vikings" use brown and gold on both, et cetera et cetera. It has really helped cement the idea of patrol identity; I highly recommend this practice to those who haven't tried it!

I think it's great, wish we had done it as scouts back in the day.  We just used the standard Red with yellow piping.  Will keep that in the back pocket. 

I think patrol neckerchiefs are a great idea, like large, square neckerchiefs and going back to registering patrols as "units."   So long as it has no financial impact, BSA would like those ideas too.

@@TAHAWK, when were patrols registered as units?

Until at least 1969.  Look, you can buy an old Neighborhood Patrol charter: http://www.scoutstuff4sale.com/1969-national-charter-for-a-neighborhood-patrol/ 

That link didn't work, I think you have an extra space or two at the end.  This worked: http://www.scoutstuff4sale.com/1969-national-charter-for-a-neighborhood-patrol/

I have never heard of a charter for a patrol, nor do I recall hearing the term "neighborhood patrol", as opposed to just a "patrol".  I notice the document doesn't actually say the word "charter".  It says the patrol "has duly qualified and is registered with" the BSA.  I am not sure what that means and it does not say anything else of substance.  It seems to be a certificate that was given out in addition to a troop charter, because I know troops have had charters going back to the beginning.  

I did some googling and found this which mentions Neighborhood Patrols, if I am interpreting this correctly they seem to have been part of something called "Rural Scouting."  

http://chestofbooks.com/outdoors/scouts/Rural-Boys/Rural-Reading-Program-Region-IX-Fine-Example-Under-Regional-Leadership.html#neighborhood_patrol

It says no CO or committee was required, just a Scoutmaster who would be approved by three "fathers" (presumably fathers of boys who are participating in the patrol, though it doesn't actually say that, and it doesn't say "parents", just "fathers".)

The only date I see in this document is 1938, as the year one of the photos was taken, so this document is probably either from then or shortly after that.

No sponsor

No Committee

"Scoutmaster is selected by three fathers from the community."

A few as two boys

"NEIGHBORHOOD PATROL: a small neighborhood group of from 2 to 8 Scouts may be organized as a 'Neighborhood Patrol."   A Neighborhood Patrol requires no sponsorship. Three fathers in the community must approve the Scoutmaster.  Meetings are held in homes or other suitable places as often as the membership desires to meet."

Boy's Life, June, 1938, at p. 27.

In several places, BSA literature suggests that a Neighborhood Patrol could be a sort of pre-troop.

But if you get a sponsor and Committee, no reason a patrol cannot register as a "troop" and operate as a patrol. We sure have numerous patrol-sized "troops" trying to operate as a troop.

• 4 months later...