NSP - want to do it right his time

Our troop tried having a NSP last year, and blew it big time. We didn't follow the plan - didn't have a troop guide, a specific advisor for the patrol, didn't change PL's, etc.

this year we are trying again - we have 14 new 5th graders and are heading out on our first patrol campout this weekend. - Just a local one nighter - Sat to Sun - learn how to set up camp, put up the tents, do some cooking, basic stuff.

We have a Troop guide this time, and I am the adult advisor for the patrol. I have been trained and have 4 yrs experience as a BS ASM and/ or committee member, as well as a background of camping, and girl scouting. We have the Troop Guide, 2 star scouts and a JASM going along to teach and guide the NSP.

Two things I could use help/ suggestions with:

I want to really emphasise to the new parents - BOY LEAD. We want to welcome the adults/ parents & encourage them to participate - but to keep them from hovering over the boys and doing for them. That was a big problem with last year's group - and some of our older scouts - some of their parents are still 'hovering'.

Some of these moms and dads have been very active in cubs, and have had training and experience camping. I'm sure many have valuble experience and knowledge, and i don't want to belittle that - but I'd like all of us to get to know each other and work FOR the benefit of the boys - not run it like an older cub scout den.

the other thing we have a slight problem with is - I suspect - simply due to the boys being fresh from cubs and used to being 'lead' by adults and having adults do for them. That is, they jabber all the time, can't stay on track on a task (like planning the meals) and they are just so squirreley! (I guess I've gotten used to the older boys - what a difference a few years make! LOL!)

part of this we plan to handle by 'divide and conquer' - we'll break them into smaller groups for cooking and advancement work. we'll probably end up with two patrols instead of one - but we wanted to get at least one campout in on their own, on a very easy pace - before they went on a troop campout and had to deal with setting up tents in the dark, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions for the NSP and the New 'parent' patrol on this first campout?

>>I want to really emphasise to the new parents - BOY LEAD. We want to welcome the adults/ parents & encourage them to participate - but>they jabber all the time, can't stay on track on a task (like planning the meals) and they are just so squirreley! (I guess I've gotten used to the older boys - what a difference a few years make! LOL!)

part of this we plan to handle by 'divide and conquer'

I attended our council's spring camporree this weekend. It was a very good (not quite great) weekend. It was also the first troop camping trip for many in my troop. 7 of the new scouts and 2 of our experienced Scouts attended. For adult leadership we had the SM, an ASM (me), and one of the new boy's parents each night. The trip was relatively successful. The acting SPL (our Troop Guide/Instructor) did a very good job keeping things together. Tent set up went nicely, even though it was done in the dark without prior practice. (It went so smoothly I had time to eat a 3 piece fish dinner from captain d's between helping select a site for the tents and being needed again.) As with all camporrees, there were problems. However, most of them were out of site from the Scouts, and so they all seemed to have quite a good time. The only thing I was really disappointed in was that we only had 9 of 17 Scouts attend. (That and the fact we had to suffer the embarrassment of asking a neighboring cub pack if we could borrow a dutch oven to make a cobbler, only to be offered most of an entire extra cobbler they had already made.)

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, these sorts of things really can go well for everyone.

The do have a few pieces of advice to offer.

I would definitely split that group into two patrols. I would then want a Troop Guide for each patrol. It would also probably be best if a second ASM was tasked with helping the NSPs.

It would also be helpful if you do a tent set up and take down demo at a troop meeting. Hopefully you can do this in the form of having some older Scouts demonstrate, then let the new ones try it. This should make camp site set up go more smoothly.

Another thing would be to stress the critical items on the packing list, perhaps even have a shake down. I know we got lucky this weekend because it didn't rain on us much, because at least one of the new Scouts forgot to bring a poncho.

It sounds like your are on the right path. Set your plans and then stick to them. (Though don't have a plan so rigid it can't stand up to a few set-backs or take advantage of unexpected opportunities.) Good luck. I will be keeping my eyes on this thread, since some of the advice given to you may be of use to me.

Laura7, I think you have all the right reasons but the actions don't quite match.

My recommendations are these:

Leave the parents at home on this one. If you don't want it to feel like cub camping then don't have it look or fell that way by being adult heavy in participants. Take them out with just the new scout patrols and their junior and adult leadership.

You notice I said patrols. 14 new scouts in a new situation with new skilss is too many. I recommend for ease of operation that this becomes at least two patrols now preferably three.

Set your activities up as modules and rotate the patrols through one patrol at a time at each station.

It will be easier for the scouts to learn, administrate, and socialize, in smaller patrols. I would have two patrols of 6 and one of 5 (including a Troop Guide in each patrol.

Make sure every activity they do for the next year is related to learning, practicing or applying the requirements of tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks.

I'm sure you will do fine.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Laura,

If the parents do go let them know that the boys will have difficulty and you'll probably be hearing "Hey Dad, I can't do this" inform those parents to resist the urge to jump in and help out advise them on what to say. The famous first lines from a NSP last year at Camporee was "Dad, I cant find my underwear".....I cant wait till he earns his eagel so I can bring that one up during his ECOH

LauraT7- Pay attention to these guys! I split my small (12 boys) troop into patrols and the troop is already the better for it.

I have also taken to telling new parents, "If you don't have a trailer hitch on a van we'll see you at the family camp in May." It took me two years to convince one very type-A father that speed was NOT of the essence, teaching was.

Reread the other posts again. And again. I am!