Jump to content
JosephMD

Proud of our ceremonies team

Recommended Posts

I have not heard any of this news and there is no way I would ever ask about it. My chapter will keep performing ceremonies with full regalia until we are told otherwise.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just received requests from two troops for a Call-Out Ceremony.  Didn't they get the memo that all chapter ceremony teams have been disbanded? You now have your election, everybody gets voted in, the announcement is made right after the election. Everyone's a winner. The NEW OA!

sst3rd

former chapter ceremony advisor

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my knowledge Chapter ceremony teams have not been disbanded - the Call-Out Ceremony is typically written by the Chapter, though a generic Call Out scrip is available through National.

It' the Cross-Over / AoL Ceremonies that have been poo-pooed by National and replaced by an "official script"/"Ceremony".  Maybe that's what you're thinking of??

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a symposium at NOAC that was to talk about best practices, and potential to create some norms while allowing local customs/traditions to co-exist.  I have not actually had a conversation with anyone that went to that symposium on what was discussed.  By all measures though, everything I have heard was to ensure that any regalia used at these ceremonies are appropriate for the region.  

Chapter ceremony teams also have different roles based on the Lodge.  For some lodges, Ordeal weekends and/or Brotherhood conversions are the responsibility of the Chapter, not the Lodge itself, to organize and carry out.  In my home Lodge, call-out only occurs at summer camp- the Lodge will send election teams for those who do not attend council camp, but these teams only read out the names at the end of the election, they do not do any set ceremony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MikeS,

I'm glad your chapter teams still exist. Ours were disbanded last year. They (I mean the council/lodge) may do one more year of call-outs in regalia at this season's summer camp using the currently approved national OA script, and then that's done. Since last year, there are no call-outs, just announcements to the troop right after the election. There is a nationally approved so called call-out ceremony that can be done in scout uniform, but no one has of yet to do it. To read this new script is painful and extremely sad.

We knew about the demise of the Cross Over/ AOL Ceremonies going bye-bye, but we still got several requests for this upcoming season. We, of course, told these Packs that their requests were absolutely horrendous and inappropriate, and made sure they understood the horrors of the many years that the OA has dragged the native American culture through the mud. And YES, I'm being a bit sarcastic. I'm truly sad that the OA has been turned into just a service group (free labor), and the Boy Scouts turned into a family camping club.

sst3rd

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bunch of random guys wearing their personal regalia, with absolutely no official connection or mention of the OA, are planning to do a few AoL ceremonies at the request of the packs in our area.   

I suspect that the requests will dwindle to zero over the next few years, but that will be their decision not some edict from the royal court in Irving.

I'm dreading reading the " approved " call out script  but as a  ceremonies advisor I guess it goes with the job. 

Do you have a link to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

A bunch of random guys wearing their personal regalia, with absolutely no official connection or mention of the OA, are planning to do a few AoL ceremonies at the request of the packs in our area.   

I suspect that the requests will dwindle to zero over the next few years, but that will be their decision not some edict from the royal court in Irving.

I'm dreading reading the " approved " call out script  but as a  ceremonies advisor I guess it goes with the job. 

Do you have a link to it?

https://oa-bsa.org/uploads/publications/OA-Cub-Crossover-Ceremony-2018.pdf

https://oa-bsa.org/uploads/publications/OA-Arrow-of-Light-Ceremony-2018.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

A bunch of random guys wearing their personal regalia, with absolutely no official connection or mention of the OA, are planning to do a few AoL ceremonies at the request of the packs in our area.   

I suspect that the requests will dwindle to zero over the next few years, but that will be their decision not some edict from the royal court in Irving.

I'm dreading reading the " approved " call out script  but as a  ceremonies advisor I guess it goes with the job. 

Do you have a link to it?

Same thing happening in my neck of the woods. We have a bunch of guys working in Indian Lore MB, and to make doubly sure it OK, AND ARE NOT OA MEMBERS ( emphasis), doing  AOL ceremonies now. They are using the MBC's dance regalia for the ceremony. Since they are not Arrowmen,  they are using one of the discarded AOL ceremonies the OA use to do. Only concern is that the MBC is an Arrowman, although not current in his dues, and 3/4ths of the regalia has been on loan to the local OA chapter for about 10 years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, sst3rd said:

MikeS,

I'm glad your chapter teams still exist. Ours were disbanded last year. They (I mean the council/lodge) may do one more year of call-outs in regalia at this season's summer camp using the currently approved national OA script, and then that's done. Since last year, there are no call-outs, just announcements to the troop right after the election. There is a nationally approved so called call-out ceremony that can be done in scout uniform, but no one has of yet to do it. To read this new script is painful and extremely sad.

We knew about the demise of the Cross Over/ AOL Ceremonies going bye-bye, but we still got several requests for this upcoming season. We, of course, told these Packs that their requests were absolutely horrendous and inappropriate, and made sure they understood the horrors of the many years that the OA has dragged the native American culture through the mud. And YES, I'm being a bit sarcastic. I'm truly sad that the OA has been turned into just a service group (free labor), and the Boy Scouts turned into a family camping club.

sst3rd

LOL, I truly feel your pain. There seems to be no end of redefinition of expression during these Political Correct times. What next, burn all the old books?

But, to be fair, OA started out as a service organization. Well, service and camping organization. The early Arrowmen focus on service and outdoorsmenship They were the best of the best. Selection was more stringent, which is why most Arrowmen early days were looked up as the better Best) Scouts in the unit. I think if OA is to make some kind of comeback, the organization  needs to go back to the higher standards of outdoorsmenship and selfless service. I'm not sure how they can go about in this toxic social media world, but even today, there are scouts, then there are the real scouts. OA needs to focus on selfless service (which are really outward actions of the Oath and Law), and expertise in outdoor activities. Those scouts will standout out as noble in the scouting movement. But, I think the change will have to come from within, National hasn't got a clue.

Barry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean a Brotherhood of Scouting honor campers?  Who exemplify the Oath and Law in their daily lives? 

What a novel idea!  

(Sarcasm mode off)

I think there are three main ways to change the Order back to a highly esteemed organization .

One  change the election criteria. The main focus from the order to the troop should be " We want your best both in skills and character. " not " We accept anyone with a first class badge and one summer camp under his belt."

Two.  Make the Ordeal a real challenge.  Have elongomats who know what the tests represent  and can explain their importance  to the candidates.  .And if a candidate clearly refuses to abide by the rules, we need to have the ability to politely boot him out. ( Oy vey!  The stories I could tell)

Three.  We need to do more to help scouting than set up and tear down summer camps.  We need to: run local training for junior leaders,  help out troops who are dying, or just starting up, staff camporees,  offer some semi high adventure to the local troops (50 miler?) 

 In short we need to be more than a group with colorful flaps who main focus is electing and indicting the maximum number of new members so that we can say " Our numbers are increasing,  so everything is all right"  Is it? Is it really?

Oldscout.  (Mikemossin Wanachk)

Ps:  and you are quite right National doesn't have a clue.

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

We have a bunch of guys working in Indian Lore MB, and to make doubly sure it OK, AND ARE NOT OA MEMBERS ( emphasis), doing  AOL ceremonies now. They are using the MBC's dance regalia for the ceremony. Since they are not Arrowmen,  they are using one of the discarded AOL ceremonies the OA use to do.

Funny.  The witch hunt for a 'Secret Society' has created a secret society.

Inito

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

One  change the election criteria. The main focus from the order to the troop should be " We want your best both in skills and character. " not " We accept anyone with a first class badge and one summer camp under his belt."

You mean like saying things like:

Who in this group is a friend to all and a brother to every other Scout? Who is pleasant and easy to get along with? Is he kind and helpful? In all, if you were a Tenderfoot Scout, would you like to hike and camp with him?


Who is cheerful, even when he has many tiresome jobs to do? Who smiles whenever he can? Who obeys promptly and cheerfully? Does he control his temper? If you were at camp with him for several weeks, do you think you would enjoy it?


Who is always ready to give unselfish and wholehearted service to others? Who, in serving others, can forget his own desires and interests? Who has served your unit all year round, faithfully attending your meetings and helping with your service projects? Do you think he will continue his service in the future? If you were his patrol leader, could you depend on him?


In all, ask yourselves: Who in this group, by living up to the Scout Oath, serves your fellow Scouts with such an example of brotherhood and cheerfulness that you look up to him with deep respect and admiration?

and

Scouts, on the ballot you will be given, print the first and last names of the candidates who, in your opinion, have set the best examples of brotherhood, cheerfulness, and service.


Vote only for those you believe will continue in unselfish service to your troop. If you feel that no one is worthy, turn in an unmarked ballot. If you are new in the troop or team and do not know the candidates well enough to vote wisely, you may abstain by not turning in a ballot at all, and this will not affect the final result.

That’s from the current election script, by the way.

How exactly would you change the objective criteria to accomplish what you want?

Edited by shortridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double, maybe even triple the camping requirements and restrict the number of scouts elected to 1 for every 15 scouts in the troop. 

Barry

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shortridge,

Bring back the pre-1998 or so election requirements, i.e. only 1/2 of those eligible can be placed on the ballot.

 

10 hours ago, shortridge said:

Vote only for those you believe will continue in unselfish service to your troop. If you feel that no one is worthy, turn in an unmarked ballot. If you are new in the troop or team and do not know the candidates well enough to vote wisely, you may abstain by not turning in a ballot at all, and this will not affect the final result.

Very similar wording was on the script when I was active as a chapter adviser. I had a SM come up to me after a troop election upset because  the camp promo/ election team said to vote only for those they feel worthy. He was expecting all of his eligible Scouts to get in because  they were always getting in. It was the first time in a long time the camp promo/election team was using the national script, and mentioning voting for who you think is worthy. Really sad thing is the SM was a past lodge chief and section officer. :( And he was not the only one upset. We had parents and Scouts upset that year. It seemed as if everyone thought OA membership was a "gimme,"  and a unit election was a mere formality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossover dog-and-pony shows are nice, but what really will be net positives for O/A? I think most will involve broader troop issues ...

  • Allow the use of sash-racks. (I.e., everyone stop griping at scouts folding sashes over their belts.)
  • Make sure 1st Class means skill mastery.
  • Only hold elections at camp. Usually by day 2 the younger scouts can pick the roses from the thorns.
  • Do serious Indian Lore at camp. That includes inviting Native Americans to join the camp staff.
  • Leverage the opening to female ordeals to talk about women, culture, and family.
  • Look for your troop's O/A rep at roundtable (or wherever your chapter meets). If he's not there, let him know your troop isn't getting the representation it deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×