Proud of our ceremonies team

Our team handled two Arrow of Light Blue & Gold Banquets on the same day, one early in the afternoon, and one later.  The later one was a little bit of a scheduling mess as they were told they were needed at four o’clock pm.  The team feels like an hour to prepare is necessary so they arrived at 3, only to find out that they aren’t really needed until five thirty, which really turned out to be more like quarter to six. 

We know how these things happen, but they can be quite irksome, but the team kept a cheerful attitude and killed some time while waiting for the cubs to be ready for them.  There was no complaining, not even from our ceremonies adviser who took a blow to the head from a falling flag (he reads this board).  When I see the arrowmen living the obligation, it reminds me that it works, and that OA a worthwhile thing to be a part of.  The pack made sure the arrowmen ate well, and forced us adults who were advising to do so as well. 

The ceremony was great.  The team is so flexible with how they do it, adjusting for the number of guys they can get together, to each pack’s unique way of handling the awards.  As a chapter adviser, I really like to see the arrowmen engage with the Cub Scout aged youth, especially the Webelos, it won’t be too long before they’ll be eligible to become arrowmen themselves.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forty two years ago.... We mostly worked.  As @MikeS72 well said, it was still fun, even the work weekends.  Conclaves and the '79 NOAC were enjoyable. Looking back, I think the prime motiva

You mean a Brotherhood of Scouting honor campers?  Who exemplify the Oath and Law in their daily lives?  What a novel idea!   (Sarcasm mode off) I think there are three main ways to cha

This June will be my 50th year as an Arrowman. When I was elected there was a formula based on the number of active scouts in a troop.  If you had 5 scouts you could potentially elect 1 person; 6

As Teams become more "well known" in their district (and even out of district), it's not at all uncommon to get multiple requests in the same day.

Kudos for your Team handling the scheduling snafu so well (but get used to it - it does indeed happen).

Our guys have a tradition this time of year - when we have two 'back to back' ceremonies, they do not change out of regalia, rather they proceed to a local McDonalds, walk in (a la full regalia) and order Shamrock shakes. Funds are generally in one of their many pouches. I can just imagine the look behind the counter:)

Whatever works!

My son is on the chapter team.  this was the second weekend of multiple ceremonies.  Last week had the morning/evening split.  This weekend was back to back sat evening then another sun afternoon.  The chapter has multiple team members so we can accommodate several ceremonies even if the timing is tight or the geography is hard.

But I share your frustration with units who don't have a great sense of time.  Our bigger issue is getting units to coord well in advance so we can support all.  so many packs and basically all wanting to go around the same time.  need advance planning to reduce/eliminate schedule conflicts and make sure the boys get the ceremony they deserve.

"twas only a flesh wound"

In truth that was quite a wack on the head.   I made it home and went right to bed and I was still a bit fuzzy this morning. Couldn't  seem to add a few numbers together without a calculator and even then I kept on transposing the digits.  

But let me add my admiration of the young men on the team. The job they did was just outstanding!  

" Mad Respect" I believe is the phrase in vogue 

• Upvote 1

Great job!

One of the things my old ceremony team did as a youth was have the advisor go to the Cub Scout roundtable, and schedule BnG banquets 3 or 4 months out. It was first come first serve. By the time I aged out and was advisor, we were working 2 districts.

• 6 months later...

I was informed tonight at our chapter meeting, that the national OA has made a decision to remove all native american themes from all call-out ceremonies. So, no matter your chapter's traditions for call-out ceremonies, they will cease. We all know that so called "call-out/tap-out" ceremonies were never "official." Right???????

Call-Out ceremonies will be renamed to something generic, and will be a simple induction program. There will be the use of a required national script so all programs are the same nationally, so as not to offend anyone. BSA uniforms will be the only attire.

What if I'm offended? Oh well, nothing to see here. Move along.

This saturday, I will have the biggest bonfire legally allowed on my proprerty, and will give back to the sky, over 35 years of ceremonial outfits and props (I was an assistant advisor and then became the advisor) . I'm so sorry for my over 35 years of offending everyone.

sst3rd

p.s. I'm dun.

I am sorry to hear that sst3rd is "dun."  This is a decision we all have to make at some time.

I hope that he reconsiders his decision to have a bonfire.  When the Lone Scout program was changed, many years ago, my family saved all the old stuff for future generations to see.  We still have it.  

The OA regalia belongs in a museum, not a bonfire.  Of course, it is his property and his to do with as he wishes.

So if we keep doing the callout the way we have been, with drums, feathers,and such, what is national going to do arrest us? I have told "uniform police" to go take a flying leap more than once. I don't think I'll have a problem with "regalia police"

Sst3rd, quit if you must, I walked away in disgust once, it was about 20 years before I came back. But please rethink the bonfire. As another scout who has spent hundreds of hours sewing and beading and gluing fluffys onto feathers, I understand the anger. Believe me I do. Give it a couple of weeks. If you still feel the same way you can have your bonfire then.

As for me and my house, we will just keep " offending". And no I will NOT kowtow to the politically correct stupidity that is so popular with the snowflakes of today.

Edited by Oldscout448

I wonder where this is coming from. The National meeting is still a few weeks off.

You just mentioned call out. Is this supposed to apply to Ordeal/Brotherhood/Vigil?

What about conclaves and Pow Wow's?

Could this possibly be someone trolling/punking you?

Edited by HelpfulTracks

At our chapter meeting last night, the ceremony committee/team was getting ready to practice for the upcoming camporee call-out. I am/was the advisor. Our chapter advisor told me I may want to hold off as he had attended the lodge/chapter advisor's (lec) meeting over the weekend (at our annual fall service weekend), and was told that national oa had made the decision to change the call-out tradition (as everyone does something a bit different) no longer using the Native American theme. The implementation will be soon, but the decision has been made. As far as I know, this only affects the non official but traditional call-out ceremonies that chapters have done since the beginning of time, but not the pre-ordeal, ordeal, brotherhood, and vigil ceremonies. And since I advised the chapter ceremony team, it affected us. We're no longer needed. One other motive was mentioned, and that was that our long suffering lodge ceremony team has been trying to force all chapter ceremony teams to merge with them, as their once proud team has dwindled down to just a few scouts.

And since our chapter team no longer exists (we disbanded last night), I'm guessing our lodge ceremony team can take care of the 20 or so annual AOL ceremony requests we usually get.

Our chapter advisor also mentioned that, what used to be the call-out, will now be a simple announcement program using a required script from the national oa, so every chapter does it the same way.

sst3rd

I've heard grumblings that this might happen with public ceremonies from people in the National Committee but nothing official has come our way. So, like others have said, hold off on the bonfire and even if it comes to pass, the items are better off in a museum than in a pile of ashes. 

• 4 weeks later...