Eagle BOR and A Non-Rechartered Unit

Have you looked in to Lone Scout? Registers with council.

The GTA provides for the scout to have his BOR upheld since the problem was not due to any fault of the scout.

Lone Scout dynamics are different and Councils tend to not want to get involved with it. Register him in any troop in the district.  He is officially a registered scout.  He doesn't need to go to any meetings, activities or even meet with the SM.  I have had Webelos cross-overs disappear faster than the ink on the registration.  BUT he's official for one year.  End of discussion.  He needs signatures from whom?  SM?  Nope he already has an EBOR, all he needs do is walk into the room and have the EBOR members initial their signatures and change the date.  We're done.  He has reached the Eagle rank, any celebrations can be done by the parents who plan the party anyway.

It's easy to overlook a 1 month lapse in membership when it is know that the reason for it is the ineptitude of adults.  If the boy wants to go back to his original troop?  $1 will get him the transfer.  At 16 and the keys to the car he can pick and chose any troop he wants.  "Much ado about nothing."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is anyone worried about this troop and it's SM?  They don't exist!  End of discussion.  Get the boys registered in any other troop in the mean time, get his EBOR and then when the dust settles, ge

Okay, you're a SM of a troop rather close.  Eagle candidate comes and says his troop has lost its charter can he joint to get his Eagle/  So he signs up with the troop and never comes back.  How is th

So then there shouldn't be any challenges to getting his needs met.

Lone Scout dynamics are different and Councils tend to not want to get involved with it. Register him in any troop in the district.  He is officially a registered scout.  He doesn't need to go to any meetings, activities or even meet with the SM.  I have had Webelos cross-overs disappear faster than the ink on the registration.  BUT he's official for one year.  End of discussion.  He needs signatures from whom?  SM?  Nope he already has an EBOR, all he needs do is walk into the room and have the EBOR members initial their signatures and change the date.  We're done.  He has reached the Eagle rank, any celebrations can be done by the parents who plan the party anyway.

It's easy to overlook a 1 month lapse in membership when it is know that the reason for it is the ineptitude of adults.  If the boy wants to go back to his original troop?  $1 will get him the transfer.  At 16 and the keys to the car he can pick and chose any troop he wants.  "Much ado about nothing."

Finding a troop to do that might be a challenge. 

Finding a troop to do that might be a challenge. 

Okay, you're a SM of a troop rather close.  Eagle candidate comes and says his troop has lost its charter can he joint to get his Eagle/  So he signs up with the troop and never comes back.  How is that any different than the eagle scout that gets the rank and then disappears and never comes back?  Looks like a horse apiece.  What's it that you as SM are out?  Nothing but one more dead-wood name on your roster. 

On the other hand the scout with the problem back home just might find the friendliness of the SM sufficient to check it out and as an Eagle might be something the new troop would appreciate the boy sticking around.  It could just as easily go that way as to the other.  For me it would be a chance worth taking.  After all being friendly and helpful on my part is the only part I'm responsible for when all is said and done.  I have no problem doing my part.  I don't judge MY actions on what I think MIGHT BE the actions of another.

• Upvote 1

Finding troop would not be a matter for the Scout. Most folks around here have the same mentality: we want a Scout to find a troop that fits his needs, and don't care where he goes as long as he stays in the program. Whether it's another troop, a crew ( when we have one), or even an Explorer post. Especially since there are 2 other troops within 3 miles of the "lapsed" troop.

Curious as to what issues folks have seen occur when a Scout passed his Eagle BOR while the troop's charter lapsed?

Long story short, troop still has not turned in the charter, it was due December 31st, and the Life Scout passed last week. From the district commish, the SM is ignoring phone calls, emails, etc and the COR/CC are basically non existant with the unit, only on paper, so they cannot help.

I'm concerned for this Eagle in particular, but also all of the Scouts in the troop.

If the SM, CC, and COR are all missing in action, it is time to go have a sit down with the IH.

Like I said:   Tell the Scout/parents  to call the Council and get  (at least) a local Commissioner on it.  The Scout should deal with Council, who, if they have their job descriptions correct, will either (1) deal with a disputed Eagle application (no Unit) or (2) help him transfer to an active, sympathetic Troop or Crew .....  And in the mean time, the Council will deal with the non-chartered unit by contacting the IH , the COR, and  removing the registration of all the adult leaders and helping those Scouts desirous of continuing in Scouting to find a good unit.  Commissioners?

• Upvote 1

If the SM, CC, and COR are all missing in action, it is time to go have a sit down with the IH.

Unfortunately the IH is also MIA. Long story short, they view the pack and troop as groups that use their facilities, not as part of their ministry. The IH has kicked out the Scouts from activities, even an Eagle Court of Honor that was scheduled with the church and planned 4 months in advance with a week's notice. And a new building that they promoted in fundraising for it as being for the Scouts has actually been used a handful of times since they completed it 6 years ago. I know the pack has used it 3 times. 

It sounds like this unit is toxic all around. Council will definitely need to be involved, not only to help with the completion of this one scout's Eagle, but also to deal with this mess of a troop in which it seems like none of the adults involved are interested in doing right by the boys. Like SSScout mentioned, Council should help with getting all of the scouts into new units before they all lose interest while the charter and leadership languish. 

Good news: charter is turned in. 

Regarding the leadership, I am hoping and praying they get a new SM within the year. SM's son is 17 and Life. There is some speculation that once son gets Eagle, they are gone. The attitude from the son is that he is only in Scouting because dad wants him to get Eagle, otherwise he could care less. The old CM of my pack is now an ASM, so a lot fo fokls hopes he takes over.

Good news: charter is turned in. 

Regarding the leadership, I am hoping and praying they get a new SM within the year. SM's son is 17 and Life. There is some speculation that once son gets Eagle, they are gone. The attitude from the son is that he is only in Scouting because dad wants him to get Eagle, otherwise he could care less. The old CM of my pack is now an ASM, so a lot fo fokls hopes he takes over.

I wouldn't "hope", I'd plan. If not on the TC get on the TC and help bring the issue of succession planning to the table. I suspect you are already doing more than just hoping, but a successful transition depends on knowing who is taking over now, not later.

At this time all I can do is hope and get the ASM to complete his training. Heck, if I can get any of the other leaders trained, I'd be happy. But that i has been written on in a different thread

Dare I ask, UC anywhere around to help out? To be even more bold, is the DE anywhere to be seen?

While I know BSA won't punish the Scout for the adults mistakes, seen that first hand, I wanted to know how it will be handled.

My understanding is that if the charter is turned in by closing time on Tuesday the 28th, it's in the grace period, and everything gets done OK.  If not, it;s lie it is a new unit, and nothing done Since December 31st counts, including the Eagle Board.

Need to get your DC involved and help between Council and Eagle

Dare I ask, UC anywhere around to help out? To be even more bold, is the DE anywhere to be seen?

Actually the UCs, and a few other district folks, have either died ( UC originally assigned to them), or have become so frustrated they say the heck with it and ask to work with units that want their help. (3 UCs). Long story short, this is the SM who thinks he know it all and will not take any advice or help form anyone.

As for the DEs, my council is so short staffed, that the DEs working my district have barely kept their heads above water. It sucks not having your own DE.