Seriously? It has come to this?

Then one has to take into consideration, knife control.  It would seem that ISIS has taken on that as a tactic.  I don't know of many knife control laws out there.  Next thing you know we'll all be eating our steaks like a Popsicle on a fork.  

http://gizmodo.com/what-knives-you-can-carry-where-in-the-united-states-1697091171

for a general overview

http://www.knifeup.com/

Seems to be a more accurate site for official rules/laws.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanna buy some cookies?  

Just need the right merit badge training.  

I have been told I have a hole in my head - never a crease.

Good articles.  when I was in reenacting as an officer, I often carried a holstered handgun and sword.  In colder temperatures I would put on a great coat and now they were both concealed.  I have a conceal carry permit for just such purposes.  But when going into a building with a musket, cased one was in violation of conceal carry.  Again as an infantry soldier, that would be a problem, too.  It meant that when I took my musket out of the trunk of my car and take the case off before going into the meeting place.  Some rules are really dumb.  I can openly carry a handgun in my state, but as soon as I put on a coat, I need instruction, testing and a permit.  I didn't realize how dangerous my coat really was.  :)

http://gizmodo.com/what-knives-you-can-carry-where-in-the-united-states-1697091171

for a general overview

http://www.knifeup.com/

Seems to be a more accurate site for official rules/laws.

The sites are misleading.

FALSE: "Ohio: Anything goes, just don't be a child playing with a toy gun [indistinguishable from a real gun] in a park [that has been the scene of several previous gang shootings]."

State laws are only part of the issue.

The largest number of criminal laws regarding knives are local - not state of federal.  In Cleveland, Ohio, the ordinance send you to jail for a minimum of six months if you possess a knife with a blade of 2.5" in a public place.  "Knife" is  not defined, so that rules out Micky D's plastic knives with their 3.25" blades.  Are they enforced?  Selectively.

Carrying any "weapon" concealed is a felony in Ohio, and whether a knife is a "Weapon" is a matter of the intent of the carrier and whether the knife was made or modified to be a weapon.  Selectively.

Knives in government buildings

The federal building across the street from where I worked for 25 years, the City Hall, and most high schools have a cafeterias that often provide knives. So much for no knives in a government building.  But try to carry a pocket knife into most government buildings and you will have problems.  Irrational, unless sandpaper is also barred.

New York City -  the Big Rotten Apple

In NYC, possessing any knife lock-blade knife that can eventually be opened by grasping the blade and shaking - even if the effort fails 9/10 of the time, is a serious crime because NYC, and only NYC, regards any such knife as a "gravity knife" under New York state law. Tens of thousands have been arrested, convicted, and jailed or imprisoned - for up to six years - for carrying common, everyday locking knives in NYC, including tradesmen who require them for their work (NOTE: possess).  A slip joint will probably stay closed due to its spring, but most locking knives have weak springs and can be opened by shaking against the weight of the handle, especially by practiced NYC policemen looking to pad their arrest numbers.

A bill to correct this miscarriage of justice passed the NY legislature easily (61-0 in the Senate and 99-12 in the Assembly) but was vetoed by Cuomo a few weeks ago, with the Mayor of NYC's strong approval.  

Scouting is an  easy target, I guess.   We can google and read about the theft of Christmas trees, Troop trailers,  SUVs on campouts with Scout gear inside,  money from Girl Scout cookie sales, money from Boy Scout popcorn sales, gear from Troop Scout Huts,  "welcome to the big city". 

Everyone else does not live by the Scout Law and Promise. Doesn't mean we should abandon them as our ideals. Set the example, be the role model....

You know what left will say if we had gun co from this would t happen. That's the excuse every time a gun is used.

I'm part of "the left", and I wouldn't say that. I don't think you understand what "the left" wants in terms of gun control. 

We already have gun control, too, so I don't quite understand your statement about "if we had gun co". 

One could drop all the "gun control" laws in our country and it wouldn't make one iota of difference.  The bad guys will have the same guns to commit crimes and the law abiding people will still have guns to protect themselves.  In this area especially, laws are irrelevant.

It would be more accurate to say that every time we have a publicized shooting, the left asks for more laws controlling access to firearms.  The "flavor of the week" in that regard is the semi-automatic rifle, used in a statistically minority number of shootings, incorrectly called an "assault rifle."  Not that assault rifles - magazine-fed fully automatic rifles - are not in civilian hands in trivial numbers (Automatic weapons are considered machineguns subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.).  Two or three legally-owned fully automatic weapons have been used in homicides since 1934 so far as I can find.  Further, the last time I can document one being used intentionally in a crime in the U.S. (as opposed to Sweden or Syria)  was the incident in North Hollywood where the two armed bank robbers with full body armor and actual AK-47s took on the police. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

A Columbus, Ohio policeman illegally used a fully-automatic .30 carbine to kill an unresisting burglary suspect in the late 1960's and received no punishment beyond a brief suspension from duty.

I'm part of "the left", and I wouldn't say that. I don't think you understand what "the left" wants in terms of gun control. 

We already have gun control, too, so I don't quite understand your statement about "if we had gun co".

Magazine regulation. Reduction of hand gun availability. Just two of several left platforms regarding gun control.

I have a military assault rifle in my closet as I write.  It was a mainstay of a war that more Americans were killed than all the other wars combined.  It's an 1853 Enfield rifle musket.  Now that single shot rifle is not even considered by the ATF as a "weapon".  However, it will put a .58 caliber round out that is bigger than today's sniper rifle.  I also have a Mosin-Nagant, the primary weapon used by Russian forces from the late 1800's through the Vietnam era when it was replaced by the AK-47.  Mosin-Nagan fired a 7.62 x 54 round.  The AK-47 fires a 7.62 x 36 which means it's the same bullet but the AK-47 has less impact.  The only gun in the world today that fires a 7.62 x 54 is the modern Russian sniper rifle.  The Finnish woman sniper who holds the world record for efficiency in the field used an un-scoped Mosin-Nagant.  Of course my WW I Turkish Mauser which fires an 8mm round is in the same case as the rest.  Now, The lethality of those guns is greater per round than any modern "assault" rifle of today used by our military.  What's magazine capacity have to do with the fact that one only needs one bullet to do the work.  Yes an AK-47 can fire in full automatic like a machine gun.  But those are illegal for anyone other than police and military to posses.  But criminals don't care.  The notorious Tommy Gun made famous by the mobs of Chicago back in the 20's used a 45 cal bullet, like the ones in most modern semi-automatic handguns of today.  Sub-machine guns use pistol ammunition.  I conceal carry a 9mm handgun that has 17 rounds in the gun and a second magazine with another 17 rounds.  That's a lot of firepower.  No one knows I carry that much firepower under a coat and I do it legally with the blessing of the government. 

What people don't realize is that the only part of the gun that is lethal is the bullet.  Studies have shown that on full automatic, only the first round is aimed at the target.  Because of recoil all subsequent bulltets go high.  The military has found that they are far more effective leaving their guns on semi-automatic.  Semi-automatic rifles are the same ones that 80% of the hunters out in the woods are using to deer hunt.  Take the stock off change it out to look like a hunting rifle and it's totally legal.  Leave it looking like a military assault rifle, and it's not.  Go figure, the mechanics and bullets are just the same. 

The #1 hunting rifle today is the 30-06, it's the same round as the M1-Garrand the primary rifle used by the US Infantry in WW II, and the Israeli Uzi uses the same bullets as the gun I have on my night stand.  I've fired an Uzi, my Smith and Western semi-automatic is the gun I want if needed.

"Gun Control" is nothing more than political speak to get guns out of the hands of people.  It works on those who are law abiding, but has no effect those that don't care.

By the way, the Girl Scout in the picture has a modern US Army sniper rifle, 50 cal and yes, it's a bolt action gun, just like the Russian Mosin-Nagant and German Mauser.  It's not the gun that needs controlling, it's the people using them.

And yes, my wife was a Girl Scout, she carries a 9mm, too.

Fill out a form.  Pass the background check,. Pay a $200.00 fee, and you too can own an actual assault rifle - fully automatic, like the FAL that uses a round as powerful as the 30-06, the Browning .30 cal. Machine Gun, or the M-2 cal. .50 Heavy Machine Gun.  

I can't imagine the cost - like burning $100s as fast as you can.

Edited by TAHAWK

What people don't realize is that guns are not controlled by laws, but by people.  How effective they are makes the difference.  A criminal is generally better self-trained in the use of his weapon than the average conceal carry permit holder.  They are obsessed with weapons and train constantly and have the mind-set to use them against other people, The law-abiding citizen does not, his mindset is only to protect.  Both those characteristics still places the advantage with the criminal.  The only deterrent is the self-preservation.  The only thing that will cause the criminal to not use his weapon is if the target of his attention could in turn cause him harm.  If he holds all the cards, there is nothing for him to consider.  If the victim could possibly be able to resist with the same force he/she has, then there is reason to reconsider.  This is why schools and movie theaters, banks, and such are easy targets.  If a bank is a no-gun law and armed guards, it's not a good target.  If the school has armed teachers, that might be a problem too.  Why do people run from the police?  It's because they are armed, probably better trained and have more firepower than they do.  Not a good choice to take on the police with a gun in one's hand.  What if there was a big question mark on every victim instead of a bull's-eye?  Now one is into controlling criminals by altering their ability to choose.  If one does it only with laws, the choice is easy,  They have the guns and all the fear of citizen retaliation is off the table.

This reminds me of the cute story I heard a few years ago.

An elderly lady was driving down the street (at speed limit) and was impeding faster traffic.  A police officer pulls her over and asks for her driver's license, registration and proof-of-insurance.  She says she's has a conceal carry permit and there's a .45 cal in her glove box.  The officer says he'll need to see her permit, too.  She then says her driver's license and permit are in her purse, but there's a 9mm in there.  By now the officer is really perplexed and asks if there are any other guns in the car and she says yes, there's a .357 magnum under the front seat, too.  Totally amazed he says, Lady, what in the world are you afraid of?" to which she answered, "Absolutely nothing, Officer."