Who is "Unit Leadership"?

I don't quite understand, if everyone on there unit leadership??

Basically, I am trying to figure out if the COR can also be a Assistant DL, Assistant CM, and a Committee Member at the same time.  The definition says he cannot be unit leadership or assistant unit leadership.  Trying to figure out what that is.

Basically, I am trying to figure out if the COR can also be a Assistant DL, Assistant CM, and a Committee Member at the same time.  The definition says he cannot be unit leadership or assistant unit leadership.  Trying to figure out what that is.

When I became an IH, I was told that the IH is the only person who is allowed to serve in more than one position in a unit. He/she can serve as IH and in one leadership position.

It makes sense to me that a scout leader should only be allowed to serve in one position in a unit.  Otherwise, a leader could be his/her own supervisor.

Edited by David CO

I wouldn't think they could hold another Key 3 role.

In a small unit you almost cannot avoid wearing more than one hat, so I would think DL would be okay. Best to ask your district.

When I became an IH, I was told that the IH is the only person who is allowed to serve in more than one position in a unit. He/she can serve as IH and in one leadership position.

Well, we are blowing that one out of the water, not sure there is a single committee member that doesn't also do something else.  Also, what qualifies as small?  I think we have 35-40 between all the dens.

A CR can also be either Committee Chair or a Committee Member.

Other than that, a CR cannot hold ANY other position, or what some people call the "uniformed" positions, including Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Den Leader, Crew Advisor and Assistants to all of the above.  (I put "uniformed" in quotes because I too have a uniform, with a Committee Member patch on it, though I wear it mainly on "special occasions".  But I have heard many people use "uniformed leaders" to refer to anyone who is not a CC or MC.)

That does not mean that you will never see a CR being an "unofficial" Den Leader, for example.  We had that in our Cub pack, where the CO was a PTA-type organization and the CR was usually a person who was both an officer of the CO and had a son in the pack.  That person might, in practice, "double" as a DL or ADL, but could not be registered that way.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Unit Leader = Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor and Skipper - or their assistants.

Den and Assistant Den leaders are not Unit Leaders - they don't lead the unit, they lead a section of the unit.

Committee Members are not Unit Leaders - they don't lead the Unit - they provide support to the Unit.

• Upvote 4

The BSA Adult application says:

No one may register in more than one position in the same unit, except the chartered organization representative (CR) (who can multiple only as the committee chairman (CC) or a committee member (MC)), and the parent coordinator (PC), who may multiple as chartered organization representative.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-501.pdf

Edited by jjlash
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unit Leader = Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor and Skipper - or their assistants.

Den and Assistant Den leaders are not Unit Leaders - they don't lead the unit, they lead a section of the unit.

Committee Members are not Unit Leaders - they don't lead the Unit - they provide support to the Unit.

Calico is right.  The EXACT term "Unit Leader" is used because BSA has multiple programs and they need a single term for the adult scout leader.  BSA documents such as advancement reports and merit badge cards refer to "Unit Leader".  It is used because advancement can be worked by scouts in a troop, team, crew or venturing.  So, there is no single term for the adult leader across all these types of units.  Boy Scout camps will often say "unit leader" as the camp has troops, crews, teams and venturing present.  

The "Unit leader" may choose to delegate some authority to their assistants, but that is their choice.  It is not automatic.  Assistants are NOT automatically the "unit leader" ... though it's usually not that big of a deal.  

"Unit Leader" is confusing because it is NOT the person at the top of the authority diagram.  The unit leader reports to the committee chair.  The CC reports to the charter org rep.  The COR reports to the charter org executive officer.  

Edited by fred johnson

Basically, I am trying to figure out if the COR can also be a Assistant DL, Assistant CM, and a Committee Member at the same time. The definition says he cannot be unit leadership or assistant unit leadership. Trying to figure out what that is.

The BSA Adult application says:

No one may register in more than one position in the same unit, except the chartered organization representative (CR) (who can multiple only as the committee chairman (CC) or a committee member (MC)), and the parent coordinator (PC), who may multiple as chartered organization representative.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-501.pdf

I mistakenly marked jjlash down. He is right in the further clarification of the question. The idea is that unit leaders (those that work with scouts) are not also overseeing the program. That is why you want committee members, the CC and the COR to not be allocated to work with the scouts. The idea is they are helping improve the program and fix issues. But that is hard to do if they are in the trenches working with the scouts.

In reality, the lines get crossed all the time.  Put the person in their position that best matches their role.  Then support them in fulfilling that role.  If they do more, great.  Just make sure their assigned role is well covered.  

• Upvote 1

""The Work Is Done By Whoever Shows Up.""

BSA is well known  in it's ability to ignore it's own guidelines if it means the Unit is up and chartered.   "Some ink on every line"  is the mantra I am told to repeat in times of chartering.   

It is certainly advisable and desirable to have Active  leadership  listed , rather than merely space holders on the applications.   Who approves?  Who is willing?   I have known folks to come to me and say, "I never said I'd do that."  when it is discovered that their name is in a slot.   

What is desired, as has been noted, is that the Uniformed, Youth overseeing positions should not also be the "civilian"  overseeing positions.  But then too,   we all tend to have more than one hat hung on the Scout closet door rack, don't we? 

I expect the military model is a little at play here as well.

Since technically the COR can remove any other adult leader in the unit at an time for any reason (or no reason), it makes it difficult for a CM/SM to have a COR who is also an ACM/ASM because then technically your assistant is your boss - not a good work dynamic.