Bear scout starting late, rest of den 2/3rd complete with requirements

Go to solution Solved by bbender,

What is the expectation of a Scout that joins a den (as a brand new scout) 2/3rds of the way through the Scouting year?  We have a potential new Bear scout (who will need to also earn the Bobcat) that is interested in joining our den now. Our den is already 2/3rd of the way done with the requirements for the Bear rank badge. 
1. Would the new scout be expected to complete all of the past requirements in order to earn the rank badge?

2. If yes, who's responsibility is it to  catch the scout up?  the parent? the den leader?

3. If he just did the remainder of the requirements that we have left with us, would he be eligible for the Bear Rank Badge?
4. Would it be best for him to just concentrate on earning his Bobcat and then be ready to go as a Weblos I?

I just want to set clear expectation if they decide to join at this late in the program year.

• Solution

My $0.02:

On "1. Would the new scout be expected to complete all of the past requirements in order to earn the rank badge?" === > To earn the rank badge, yeah, gotta complete the requirements.  Either the handbook ones or the 11/30/16 version, or mix and match as ya like.  The 11/30/16 versions will be easier, mostly.

• Of course, advancement is just a "method", not a requirement.  
  • He can still be a Cub Scout and just have fun / do activities / get loops.  
  • No need for anxiety here.

On "2. If yes, who's responsibility is it to  catch the scout up?  the parent? the den leader?" === > Parent.

• You signed up for Den Leader to lead the Bear activities once ... your job is not to repeat it every time someone comes through.
    • You can if you want to, or for part of it.
    • I mean, sometimes activities you may already be doing (spring camping, hikes, field trips) might easily tie into ways you can help ... 
    • ... if you want.
  • If the Parent is really keen on doing all the "catch up" activities ... they can do them all on their own, on Pack campouts / day events, etc.
  • But they can also chill out and not stress about it ... have fun, get some loops, have some laughs.

On "3. If he just did the remainder of the requirements that we have left with us, would he be eligible for the Bear Rank Badge?" === > Nope.  If he didn't all all Six Required (whichever ones ... recall that the 11/30/16 version made Grin & Bear It an elective (but you can mix and match, it's OK) plus one elective, he didn't "earn the rank".  

• But he gets all the loops!

On "4. Would it be best for him to just concentrate on earning his Bobcat and then be ready to go as a Weblos I?" === > Nope, but it isn't an "either 'go bust it for bear' or 'just wait fer Webelos'" type of situation here:  the best situation would be have him earn Bobcat (easy peasy, really ...) .. and do your Bear activities.

• so he gets a Rank Patch for Bobcat,
  • and let him load up on whatever loops you're doing for the rest of the year ... 
  • ... any any other awards you might start that he can finish.

Hope that helps! 

In a situation like this I always like to remind the leader that Bear is NOT a RANK, it is an earned AWARD,

I would spend a bit of time explaining this to the parents so they don't freak out.  He has missed the Tiger award, and the Wolf award, so be it.  Now the boy and his parents have two choices, just enjoy the fun along with the others or work with his parents to bring him up to speed.  It will be a good way for the parents to come online with the program without any pressure.  He missed the fun of dong the activities with the other boys, but he can still earn the award working with his parents.  No big deal

He can start fresh with everyone when they start up in the fall with Webelos.  There is no time requirements on the award, he can work on the awards for the rest of the school year and if the Pack doesn't meet during the summer he can continue on with the parents and pick up his award at the first Pack meeting in the fall.

No need to panic, he's got time, he should enjoy it but focus on having fun with the boys already in the troop,

I think it depends on why the boy is joining--if they are gung-ho for doing all the requirements, sure, do it at home. If they are just joining to have fun with the experience, let them have the experience that everyone else is having now. Earn the Bobcat plus whatever the rest of the den is working on.

My big worry is encouraging the new Bear to buy a blue shirt they're only going to wear for a few months before they go with tan in Webelos.

What is the expectation of a Scout that joins a den (as a brand new scout) 2/3rds of the way through the Scouting year?  We have a potential new Bear scout (who will need to also earn the Bobcat) that is interested in joining our den now. Our den is already 2/3rd of the way done with the requirements for the Bear rank badge. 

1. Would the new scout be expected to complete all of the past requirements in order to earn the rank badge?

2. If yes, who's responsibility is it to  catch the scout up?  the parent? the den leader?

3. If he just did the remainder of the requirements that we have left with us, would he be eligible for the Bear Rank Badge?

4. Would it be best for him to just concentrate on earning his Bobcat and then be ready to go as a Weblos I?

I just want to set clear expectation if they decide to join at this late in the program year.

1. Depends on the culture of your den. If you're all about everyone getting every piece of bling possible, yes. If you're all about boys diving in an having fun where they can, no.

2. It's the scout's responsibility to catch himself up. He can get help from his parents, if they are available. A den chief, if one is available. The DL if they are available.

3. If the remainder of the requirements cover all the requirements for Bear, yes. If not, no.

4. It really depends on how much you all still practice Bobcat skills, and if that will help the boy feel at home in your den.

I think that it's fair to tell the boy and his parents that it would take a lot of work to get the Bear award,  but don't worry. The whole den next year will start on Webelos, even if they never earned Bear.

What everyone else said. Let his parents know they can work on the award at home if they want, but there's no pressure. He gets his loops and Bobcat, everyone is happy.

I would tell him to just buy a tan shirt. There's no way I'd spend the $ on a blue shirt for such a short amount of time.

• Upvote 1

Uh, on "is it a rank" or "is it an award" ... well, uh, actually:  it is a Rank.  Though "generically" a "Rank" is also an "award" ... but it is a Rank.

To support that, see this page: https://cubscouts.org/library/welcome-to-bear-cub-scouting/, which sadly also has a stray reference to "Wolf" at "a Bear must first earn his Bobcat rank. After completing the requirements for Bobcat he may go on to complete the requirements for the Wolf rank and the many electives that are offered for his rank", likely copied, and missed by the proofreaders.  

And when a Bear level Scout opens up the Bear Handbook, Ethan is there to say, among other things: "... As you work on your Bear rank, ... "

See also https://cubscouts.org/library/cub-scout-ages-and-ranks/, and https://cubscouts.org/library/advancement/.

• Upvote 1

Uh, on "is it a rank" or "is it an award" ... well, uh, actually:  it is a Rank.  Though "generically" a "Rank" is also an "award" ... but it is a Rank.

To support that, see this page: https://cubscouts.org/library/welcome-to-bear-cub-scouting/, which sadly also has a stray reference to "Wolf" at "a Bear must first earn his Bobcat rank. After completing the requirements for Bobcat he may go on to complete the requirements for the Wolf rank and the many electives that are offered for his rank", likely copied, and missed by the proofreaders.  

And when a Bear level Scout opens up the Bear Handbook, Ethan is there to say, among other things: "... As you work on your Bear rank, ... "

See also https://cubscouts.org/library/cub-scout-ages-and-ranks/, and https://cubscouts.org/library/advancement/.

If a boy joins Cub Scouts at the Webelos level he does not need to go back and earn the Wolf and Bear "rank"/award.  He doesn't even need to earn the Webeos, The only award that he can get if he gets is the AOL if he joins during Webelos II.  No one waltzes into the army and immediately gets bestowed the rank of general.

On the other hand, a boy joining Boy Scouts has to "come through the ranks" even if he joins at age 15.  Ranks involve a progression through experience and skills gained.  Neither of those is required for Cub Scouts.

And award is an award, a rank is an earned designation based on experience and skill levels.