How to get rid of the SM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Commissioner Field Book has a section on How to Remove a Volunteer. But of course its not that simple.

First off, the SM is not In Command, he works for the committee. So you have to start with your committee. What did the poor guy do to deserve such harsh punishment?

The CC "recruited" the SM when no one else would do it, so he (CC) is rather vested and less than objective. He is not really responsive. Is that my only recourse, then?

As to what brought this about, I'd rather not whine.

How to get rid of the SM??

Begs a lot of questions.

Here in Boston I'ver heard there's a guy in Charlston you can talk to that will get you in touch with Whitey Bulger eventually... Oh! You want to relieve him of his postion. Sorry you'll have to wait for a response from Bob White or DSteele who will most likely have the most accurate information on how to do this. Still begs alot of questions though.

Welcome to the forums. There is a lot of good information here, just use whatever information you garner from these forums with a grain of salt. There a number of highly knowledgeable folks that participate here, but keep in mind this is not an official BSA website or forum.

Good luck.

SA

Actually, what he did does have some bearing on it. If there are YP or legal issues you are well within your right to contact the DE if for some reason you can't talk with the committee. However, your committee should have at least 3 people on it, depending on who they are you should talk to them. If you feel, that they are all vested with the SM, say the Spouse, Brother and Brother-in-Law, then you can always go to the CO. But your committee wont like that.

Thank you for the welcome. I have been a silent observer for about a month and have already learned enough to know that things aren't going right in our troop. Maybe ignorance was bliss.... But I am not going to whine.

Maybe if you did speak more specifically, you'd get a more specific answer. It's not "whining" if you truely need help with a situation. Aand from the people I've seen in here, although not "official" BSA policy, have years of experience to draw from. I already have learned much here!

Not a YP issue. More of a "Committee? What's that? PLC? What's that? ASM? Patrol Meetings? Rules, Guidelines, Training? What's that?" issue. So you broke me down. As I write this I am beginning to think that maybe the problem didn't start with the SM, but higher up.

If those are the kinds of questions and responses your getting, maybe the answer is to look into the kinds of training available from your council or district and volunteer to make arrangements to have the training brought out to the Troop Committee and leadership?

If all refuse to participate in training, well then maybe it's time to look into another Troop.

As noted by others it's hard to comment without more information on your situation and what your goals are, etc.

Just some thoughts.

I heard Whitey will consider volume discounts.

SA

Mrs. Smith,

I'll bet your volunteering as ASM in order to help the current leaders get the Troop Committee, PLC, Patrols, Training, Themes, YP, TLC, and agendas all in motion would be greatly appreciated.

If the SM seems overwhelmed a heads-up ASM like yourself, would be the perfect fix.

Good Luck Mrs. Smith!!!

Thank you for your kind responses. I have read some(BobWhite v FOG)that are pretty intimidating.

How does the Committee get revitalized and become a democratic body without a bloodbath? (But I will keep those suggestions in mind)

A troop is owned by the charter organization (CO). The institutional head (IH) of the CO appoints a charter organization representative (COR) to act as liason between the troop and the CO. Often the IH will delegate to the COR approval authority for adult membership applications, including committee chair, members, scoutmaster and assistant scoutmasters.

To answer your latest most recent question, revitalizing a committee starts with the CO and IH. Are they sponsering a troop because they see the BSA program as an excellent way to serve youth while instilling shared values? Or are doing someone a favor because the troop needs a home? Are you a member of the CO, and therefore more likely to have your voice heard?

Sorry to answer questions with questions, but I think you've already realized the CO/BSA relationship is complex AND directly affects the quality of the troop experience your son is having.

Assuming the guy needs to go, your Chartered Organization is a big stick, if they're a real CO and not just a name on a piece of paper. I will also assume the CO is involved and wants the Troop to run well, and be led by competent, properly-motivated leaders who are delivering a youth program the CO envisioned when the agreed to accept the charter.

Look at the adult leader application form. The CC signs it, then the COR does, then the Council does. If the SM and CC are in cahoots, go to the COR. If there's inertia there that you can't overcome, go to your District/Council. It helps if you have specifics, and it helps more if you have a Unit Commissioner who has identified the same things you did in the unit "report cards" from his periodic visits to your meetings/activities.

Training's great, but it only improves people who are in the receive mode to begin with. In my experience, people like you describe operate only in "transmit". Training doesn't do anything for them, even if you can get them to go.

KS

Hi and Welcome.

It could be that the SM that is now serving the unit that you are not whining about is a real nit wit? I don't know him or her so I am not going to pass judgment.

It sounds as if the poor old Lad? has had this dropped in his lap. Let's try and give him the benefit of the doubt. First off he can't be all bad he did step up to the plate when asked?

Sometimes becoming the Scoutmaster that even you want to be can take a little time. If the troop had been doing things wrong for a long time, to go in and try to change everything overnight is not always a good idea. Even if he has attended all the training in the world and knows what he should be doing it could be that he is just taking very small steps?

Before I would get too many people involved I would have a word with the Unit Commissioner or if you don't know who that is the District Commissioner. Many of these people are skilled in acting in a very friendly way while at the same time getting things back on track.

If you are a leader in the troop you might do well to start asking the Scoutmaster if he would ride with you to: Training's or Round-table meetings, maybe offer to help set up a in house JLT training. Offer to make refreshments for the next PLC meeting. Go out of your way to catch this Scoutmaster doing things right and give him a word of praise and encouragement.

Try and be as empathetic as you can. It can be very lonely up there at the top when you are a little unsure of what you ought to be doing, the last thing you need is another enemy. You don't have to buy into the stuff that he is doing wrong or not doing, but you as just one person can work wonders in getting things to work by gently nudging and bringing more people on board to help, not because he is a nit wit, but because he is doing his best but needs a helping hand.

Eamonn