What happened to local Council Conservation Committee?

Does your Council have a Conservation Committee? Around these parts, it seems downsized to just a couple of component task groups - Summer Camp Program and Camp Management.

Council Conservation Committee Guidebook

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/430-022.pdf

Edited by RememberSchiff

I never heard of one either, but I looked at our council's web site and there is one, or at least there is a web page for one. Except it isn't called the Conservation Committee anymore, it is now called the Sustainability Committee. (I can tell it is just a name change because the page for the Sustainability Committee has a logo for the committee, but the logo still says "Conservation Committee" with the name of the council. So it would be fair to guess that the name change took place fairly recently.  The page also mentions the "sustainability program (formerly known as the conservation program).")

The committee's web page has sections on Leave No Trace, Conservation Good Turns, the Hornaday Awards and the World Conservation Award. It does not have anything very specific about what the council committee itself actually does nor does it indicate the makeup of the committee. It does have an email link for the committee chair to get further information.

Edited by NJCubScouter

I think like many other council committees, a lack volunteers/interests have led various council committees to dissolve, be absorbed into another, or stagnate. I think a lack a volunteers willing to serve on council committees from both inside and outside of Scouting has contributed to this.

In my council's case, a core a group of "council favorites" head-up the majority of the remaining council committees, events, and projects. I believe my council likes to keep its avid supporters close and insulate themselves in the process. I can't say the same for other councils, but I do know the councils I've been a part of have often overworked,burnt-out, or flat-out burn bridges with many of their volunteers.

Just my two-cents.

I can't say the same for other councils, but I do know the councils I've been a part of have often overworked,burnt-out, or flat-out burn bridges with many of their volunteers.

Unfortunately I have heard the same thing from several district-level volunteers.  The problem seems to emanate from the council.  A related problem is the "clique" of "district guys" who seem to spend as much time currying favor with the professional hierarchy, and with each other, as they do actually accomplishing anything.  These are the main reasons I have never volunteered for anything above the unit level.  (I have DONE some things at the district level, mainly doing some training at day-long training events where they need a sub, and this is where I have had a lot of my experience with the "clique" types.  I seem to have dropped off the "sub call list", which is fine with me.)