Selection of Adult candidates

Good catch, didn't notice that.  I think BSA says long term camping is 72+ hours

The OA requires 6 contiguous days and 5 nights resident camp. I have never seen it defined as such, it may be, but resident Camp is taken to refer to the Council Summer camps. That makes sense because much of the OA's service is to those camps as well as promoting it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats! May the odds be ever in your favor!   oh wait, that's a different tap out. 

A long-awaited update. I was tapped-out! Ordeal is August 11 - 12.

Our unit allows the ASMs to elect from the eligible adults, similar to how the boys do it. Their camping nights and service hours are made known so scouters can see the level of participation. We ask

We usually leave the selection to the scoutmaster.  He usually considers who has been there the longest and helped the most that is not in OA.  Then he asks them to see if they are interested and would they go through the Ordeal.  Essentially, the scoutmaster is looking for something that is fair and will be used.  

• Upvote 1

Actually there are rules. The Unit Committee may make nominations (not elections) for adults become a member of the Order of the Arrow.

A Unit Committee may nominate one leader for every three scouts elected to the OA during a given election. The Scoutmaster does not count against that number. So if I troop elected three (youth) members to the OA, the Committee may nominate one adult, 4 youth elected allow 2 adult nominations, 7 youth 3 adults and so on. The Unit Committee may also nominate the Unit Leader as well, and not count against that number.

Those nominations are given to the Adult Selection Committee who determine which adults are called out. I believe there is a limit that the ASC can select for call out, based on the number of active youth in the lodge, but I don't recall what that number is off hand.

Does not say who the unit committee is comprised of. It that the troop committee? If so, they might want to say that to be clear. I am with @@fred johnson, we have the SM and OA ASMs make the recommendation.

The OA requires 6 contiguous days and 5 nights resident camp. I have never seen it defined as such, it may be, but resident Camp is taken to refer to the Council Summer camps. That makes sense because much of the OA's service is to those camps as well as promoting it.

From the OA Guide to Elections Adult Candidate Form: "The camping requirement for youth candidates must be fulfilled by adults for them to be considered. To be eligible, the adult must have completed 15 nights of Boy Scout camping during the two years immediately prior to nomination. The 15 nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of five consecutive nights of overnight camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the BSA. Only five nights of the long-term camp may be credited toward the 15-night camping requirement; the balance must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps of, at most, three nights each. Include above the dates and location of the long-term camping experience."

No mention of days required, just nights camping.

We usually leave the selection to the scoutmaster.  He usually considers who has been there the longest and helped the most that is not in OA.  Then he asks them to see if they are interested and would they go through the Ordeal.  Essentially, the scoutmaster is looking for something that is fair and will be used.  

I am the Scoutmaster but I'm not an OA member. Interestingly enough. I fumed-out as a scout and have been back in Scouting as an adult for 7 years, 3 with the troop.

I am the Scoutmaster but I'm not an OA member. Interestingly enough. I fumed-out as a scout and have been back in Scouting as an adult for 7 years, 3 with the troop.

What's keeping you from joining the OA now? Your nomination does not count against the numbers. Have you camped 15 nights in the last 2 years? (I'm betting that you have camped 15 nights in the last year ;)) Have the committee submit your name! :)

What's keeping you from joining the OA now? Your nomination does not count against the numbers. Have you camped 15 nights in the last 2 years? (I'm betting that you have camped 15 nights in the last year ;)) Have the committee submit your name! :)

No reasons I can think of. I've only been Scoutmaster for two months, but yes I have enough camping nights. Maybe I will be nominated, perhaps I will not. I just want the boys who are OA to be involved and have an adult to get them to events. Too much sash-and-dash going on.

I may have upset a few folks by missing events to staff a WB course twice in the last three years. WB is frowned upon, as if you are collaborating with the enemy at Council. (LOTS of ancient hard-feelings the locals can't let go of).

Edited by deanofmac

No reasons I can think of. I've only been Scoutmaster for two months, but yes I have enough camping nights. Maybe I will be nominated, perhaps I will not. I just want the boys who are OA to be involved and have an adult to get them to events. Too much sash-and-dash going on.

I may have upset a few folks by missing events to staff a WB course twice in the last three years. WB is frowned upon, as if you are collaborating with the enemy at Council. (LOTS of ancient hard-feelings the locals can't let go of).

How dare you go on and provide training and leadership for others?? Don't you know the Scout Motto? Do a good turn daily but only for your unit. ;)

I think that since you were selected SM recently, the committee might be over whatever grudge they had against you... unless they chose to make you SM as a punishment. :D Either way, talk to your CC and tell them you'd like to be nominated so that you can lead by example. I think scouts get a kick when they find out adults have to go through the ordeal just the same as they do. And you will earn mad props from them if you go back to elangomat and do it all over again. 

Congrats on the promotion!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I was not involved in OA as a Scout, and I am just now becoming familiar with OA as a Scoutmaster.

Our troop recently conducted our first OA election with four candidates elected. I am also qualified with the required camping nights, but the lodge representatives said I did not need to be included on the ballot.

Just to become more knowledgeable about OA, I feel like I (or some other adult leader in our troop) should go through the ordeal and become involved if I am sending off some of my Scouts.

For lack of information, I am a bit apprehensive. Blind are leading the blind right now when it comes to OA.

Edited by gblotter