Not sure what this means to mthe discussion, but thus sayeth the G:

"May a charter school be religious in nature? No. As public schools, charter schools must be non-religious in their programs, admissions policies, governance, employment practices and all other operations, and the charter school’s curriculum must be completely secular. As with other public schools, charter schools may not provide religious instruction, but they may teach about religion from a secular perspective. And though charter schools must be neutral with respect to religion, they may play an active role in teaching civic values. The fact that some of these values are also held by religions does not make it unlawful to teach them in a charter school. Furthermore, as discussed below, faithbased and religious organizations can be involved with charter schools in many ways, and religious expression by students is allowed in charter schools to the same extent as in other public schools. See also the Department’s guidance on Constitutionally protected prayer in public elementary and secondary schools of ESEA, available at: http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/religionandschools/index.html.

May charter schools enter into partnerships with religious organizations to provide secular services? Yes. Like other public schools, charter schools may enter into partnerships with community groups for secular purposes, such as tutoring or recreational activities. Religious groups may be partners for these types of activities so long as charter schools select partners without regard to their religious affiliation, ensure that no public funds are used for religious purposes, and do not engage in or encourage religious activity. Charter schools may not limit participation in the partnership to religious groups or certain religious groups, and they may not select students or encourage or discourage student participation with particular partners based on the religious or secular nature of the organization."

And it's SOME avowed atheists who are excluded.  Not all.  BSA's policy is, for pragmatic reasons, clear as mud.

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, but if scouts at that school unit cannot recruit their friends from other schools, they often leave scouting.

SSScout included the Knights of Columbus in his list of groups who can charter scout units.   Not the Knights of Columbus.  The Catholic Church has instructed the KC's to not charter scout units any

Moderator's Note:  I think ghjim has raised an important topic, which deserves its own discussion, and I was thinking of responding, mainly because I don't think some of the responses address some new

No, it was not their decision.

In addition to giving up their Boy Scout units, the KC's were also instructed to begin phasing out its own youth program, the Columbian Squires.

I wonder if that is a local decision. My sons were being heavily recruited for Columbian Squires last fall.