World Jamboree and Home Hospitality

Camb:   In advance, welcome to 'Merika !    All the suggestions above are good and correct. A lot can be found out from 'our friend Google'.

Some more to note:  National Capitol Area Council has two nice campsites, I dare say will be gearing up for hospitality:  Camp Snyder, near Haymarket VA, and  Goshen, in the south part of VA, near Goshen VA.  Also, other nearby Councils may offer camp hospitality, notably Baltimore Area Council and  Blue Ridge Council.  Tidewater Council , out near Norfolk VA, and there are others .... 

Be advised, there is NO railroad near The Summit.  Closest AMTRAK station is Thurmond West VA, (? 30 KMs by road? )  but the road into Thurmond will not allow (it ain't big enough) busses.  Unless the West Virginia Highway folks really do some work, the roads into Thurmond are SMALL.  Then too,if you look at the map, one might be led to think you could HIKE into The Summit, cross country.   We will see.  International folk will be coming into BWI-Thurgood Marshall (Baltimore) or Dulles (Wash DC/VA) or Philadelphia (a long ways) or somewhere else, and bussing into The Summit.  

Stuff to see/do:  Harpers Ferry, US Civil War,   Beckley WVA Coal mine (into the dark !) , Washington DC, Baltimore MD (Inner Harbor, Ships, etc.), Richmond VA has many sights.   

IH hostels in Harpers Ferry, Wash DC. and Philly.  I think the Baltimore hostel closed.  

Time to start planning, I guess....

Thanks for the pointers. Alas I doubt I will be going! Its a massive commitment to be a jamboree unit leader. The trip itself is about 3 weeks once you do home hospitality. Throw in the selection process and the training camps and it burns an awful lot of time. Only so much my annual leave I can throw at scouting. I'm sure whoever goes though will have a fantastic time.

On the logistics front I imagine everything will be well thought out in advance. After seeing what they did here in 2007, which was something close to a military operation, I doubt it will be down to unit leaders to worry, they will simply be given instructions!

Sorry, @@Cambridgeskip, that post is actually in the wrong thread, my mistake, my apologies.

No worries Stosh, the joy of technology!

Thanks for the pointers. Alas I doubt I will be going! Its a massive commitment to be a jamboree unit leader. The trip itself is about 3 weeks once you do home hospitality. Throw in the selection process and the training camps and it burns an awful lot of time. Only so much my annual leave I can throw at scouting. I'm sure whoever goes though will have a fantastic time.

I hear the Dallas council (Circle Ten) is willing to host folks. It's a good 1200 miles from West Va, but there's plenty to see there and between the two points.