Transgender policy change

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

I didn't say it shouldn't be done (married folks tenting together), I asked why it was "mad" (I guess that is British for "crazy") that they not.

I agree with you that it is not "mad" (i.e. crazy) to require married couples to tent separately. It is unusual, but as I said, it is a matter of personal preference. But as far as your post, I just didn't see what family camping vs. Scout camping had to do with it.

My wife and I never share a tent on a campout. Her decision. We trained the kids from the get go that if they come out of their tent at night that they go straight to the Leaders tent. And since my co Leaders have a tendency to be off and on in their consistency she thinks I need to be at that tent for them to find.

I think Tyke may be more commenting on there being any rule at all regarding the sleeping arrangements for adults. Other than a requirement for adults to have separate accommodation to youth members adults are free to choose their own arrangements regardless of gender, marital status etc Quite simply a big cultural difference I think.

• Upvote 1

yep in the UK you can pretty much share a tent with whoever you want as long as its adults, no one really cares as its generally none of there business. I share with my scout leader who is also my other half, we are not married, the kids know we are a gay couple, as do most of there parents, and the parents are more interested in us providing a safe and fun  camp than who and were we sleep.

• Downvote 1

BSA policy permits married couples to tent together.  Although there has never been a married couple among the leaders in my troop, I suspect that most married couples would choose to share a tent (like Stosh and his wife) and that most units would not have a problem with it.  It does not matter whether it is "Scout camping" or "family camping."  It is a matter of personal/unit preference.

We routinely have several married couples on outings in our troop and they all share a tent with their married partner. Nobody has ever had a problem with it, and we sometimes have as many as 60 to 80 on an outing. It never occurred to me that anybody would object. 

We did one time on a cub scout outing have a divorced couple who wanted to share a tent. I mean, they had once been married, then they divorced, and they were in the process of reconciling. They came to us and asked what the rules on the sleeping arrangements were. I told them that the rule was that unmarried men and women were not permitted to tent together but that the rules did not address divorced couples and other complications. And that I wasn't going to check for compliance with the general rule in middle of the night.

But this question seems to be taking a hit now with the whole trans/homosexuality thing. We just are not getting any kind of guidance from national. I truly resent being put in a position where I HAVE to deal with other people's sexuality.

so if you have a couple who arn't married, then under the BSA rules are they allowed to sleep in the same tent ?

The Guide to Safe Scouting, apparently the current version (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf) says:

No adult may share a tent with a person of the opposite sex unless he or she is that adult’s spouse.

(It's on Page 2 of the Guide, which is the 11th page in the PDF file.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

so you could live your other half with for years, have a couple of kids, mortgage  etc but on camp you have to sleep apart ?

Apparently so. Unless you are two men or two women. Then the policy does not even address that, so one is good to go.