Transgender policy change

It's just rhetoric.  (I think you know that.)

Overall, when I read this thing, I am of two minds.  I agree with the basic theme of what he is saying.  But I also have no interest in what he is "tired" of, even if I am tired of some of it too.  Stop whining and do your job, Scout Executive of the Mecklenburg County Council.  If you can't stand the heat, get away from the campfire.  Or something like that.

I suggest watching the video, it is much better than the text.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

“A house built on lies has a weak foundation.â€

― Brom, Krampus: The Yule Lord

I think this the core of the argument that the future of BSA is going to build upon.

Drop the "BOY" from BSA and go co-ed and get honest with scouting once more.  This halfway position built on lies continues to crumble into a slow death anyway.

• Upvote 1

“A house built on lies has a weak foundation.â€

― Brom, Krampus: The Yule Lord

I think this the core of the argument that the future of BSA is going to build upon.

Drop the "BOY" from BSA and go co-ed and get honest with scouting once more.  This halfway position built on lies continues to crumble into a slow death anyway.

I thought you were quoting that guy Krampus that used to be on here. :)

• Upvote 1

I thought you were quoting that guy Krampus that used to be on here. :)

Me too, lol.

I read the article and basically agreed with his tone and intent. The 'belongs to the people' thing is just a metaphorical whim and anyone who seizes on that is being distracted from the real message. I'm sorry the guy wasn't heading the council while I was still in it myself.

I ran on to this quite by accident. I have been saying that allowing transgender youth puts BSA adults at the risk of adding more harm to the youth. 

This article discusses my concern.

American College of Pediatricians: ‘Transgender’ Conditioning Is ‘Child Abuse’

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/j-matt-barber/american-college-pediatricians-transgender-conditioning-child-abuse

• Upvote 1

I ran on to this quite by accident. I have been saying that allowing transgender youth puts BSA adults at the risk of adding more harm to the youth. 

This article discusses my concern.

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/j-matt-barber/american-college-pediatricians-transgender-conditioning-child-abuse

Man, talk about lighting the fuse and running... ;)

tumblr_nqpelzTIw31s2wio8o1_500.gif

Yes, I also stated the same opinion during our gay scout discussions. I've heard enough personal stories of gays switching back to heterosexual to still feel strongly about it.

I'm not suggesting more debate, I only submitted the article because it expresses my feelings better than I can that the BSA is putting adults in harms way. 

Barry

I think anyone reading this article should view it with the knowledge that the American College of Pediatricians is a splinter group of about 500 physicians which broke away from the mainstream American Academy of Pediatrics (64,000 members).  They formed a new group because the AAP endorsed adoption of children by gay couples.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_College_of_Pediatricians)  So it is not surprising they would take this position.  Of course, anyone can believe what they want and listen to whoever they want.  But I think someone looking at "American College of Pediatricians" and thinking that this is "the" pediatrician's group (as I did before I looked it up on a hunch) should be aware that it isn't.

And I'll tell you what gave me the hunch.  The web site from which this article comes is cnsnews.com, which I knew, without looking it up, the "cns" stands for Conservative News Service.  

• Upvote 1

Yes, you are of course correct NJ. I only used the source as a way of expressing why I appose the BSAs policy on this subject. I'm sure my previous post are consistent. It's a moral perspective for me, but I guess it's also conservative, which sadly makes it political as well.

Barry

• Upvote 1

I've heard enough personal stories of gays switching back to heterosexual to still feel strongly about it.

I've seen this argument as well as the one of Trans kids reverting to their sexes. But both beg the question, "so what?" They grew out of a "phase,"  just like many (all?) of us have.  Kids experiment all the time with hair, clothes, activities, etc. and for all their time experimenting before they grew out of it, no harm occurred.  I think the same can be said for homosexuality and trans-sexual activity. As long as they are in a loving relationship and supported, where is the harm?  If it's a phase and they grow out of it, or revert, they have lost nothing but time. 

I've seen this argument as well as the one of Trans kids reverting to their sexes. But both beg the question, "so what?" They grew out of a "phase,"  just like many (all?) of us have.  Kids experiment all the time with hair, clothes, activities, etc. and for all their time experimenting before they grew out of it, no harm occurred.  I think the same can be said for homosexuality and trans-sexual activity. As long as they are in a loving relationship and supported, where is the harm?  If it's a phase and they grow out of it, or revert, they have lost nothing but time. 

And yet during that "phase" they are going through they may not be wanting male moral development, that which the program offers.  Males wishing to be female doesn't make sense in a male development program.  And yet females wish to be male would get instruction in that, but when the end their phase the development is of no real value to them.  Would that run parallel to a student going to med school to become eventually a lawyer?  I suppose if his purpose is to be a medical malpractice lawyer he/she may not have wasted their time.  There are easier ways to go about it.and less expensive too.

One also needs to consider that at this time of adolescent experimentation, it is only experimentation and not full immersion?  Sure, back in the day, that is 50 years ago, boys played with dolls.  Adam West, Major Matt Mason and GI Joe. Surprisingly the first astronaut doll to hit the market was Barbie. That didn't make them homosexual.  Some of the world's renown chefs are male as well.  Not all tailors are homosexual.  The list goes on and on with all kids of activities that show that single sex programs are beneficial to those who are more comfortable with their sexuality and are focusing in on that development, but those that are unsure are not getting the same benefit.  They might do better in a program designed for mix sexed opportunities.  It has harmed no male that the females have GS/USA, the same holds true for BSA.  If one is considering equality, this choice in a young person's mind should also be an option.

As mentioned before, programs like 4-H have been around for over 100 years and have produced a lot of great leaders in our country.  They did it with a co-ed platform helping both males and females.  Today their membership is almost 3 times that of the BSA and GS/USA.  It's best to have both a single-sex program as well as co-educational for people to choose from. 

Edited by Stosh

As long as they are in a loving relationship and supported, where is the harm?  If it's a phase and they grow out of it, or revert, they have lost nothing but time. 

1 Corinthians 13:7  "Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

You and I have a different definition of what support and harm means in raising children. In my lifetime I found that children feel a kind of horror when they are betrayed by the adults they trusted. It changes them and while they may recover (revert?), it never goes away.

I have said here before that I believe that loneliness is the major cause for most of people who choose unnatural paths of a life. 

Adults have an obligation to raise children in the way they should go. For me, the way they should go is God. But at the very least, it's respect.

Barry