Transgender policy change

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

I think it will be another PR problem for BSA if the first female Eagle Scout is transgender. 

When you refer to a "female" who is "transgender", in this situation you are referring to a child whose birth certificate says they are a girl but who is now "living as a boy", and whose membership application (signed by their parents) says they are a boy, right?  The BSA now regards that person as a boy.  Many in our society regard him as a boy, though many others regard him as a girl.  So I suppose anything the BSA does in this area is going to cause a PR problem with somebody.

When you refer to a "female" who is "transgender", in this situation you are referring to a child whose birth certificate says they are a girl but who is now "living as a boy", and whose membership application (signed by their parents) says they are a boy, right?  The BSA now regards that person as a boy.  Many in our society regard him as a boy, though many others regard him as a girl.  So I suppose anything the BSA does in this area is going to cause a PR problem with somebody.

Yes. The "somebody" are all the young ("living as girls"?) women who wanted to join Boy Scouts, or as Venturers, and earn Eagle Scout but were turned away.

Yes. The "somebody" are all the young ("living as girls"?) women who wanted to join Boy Scouts, or as Venturers, and earn Eagle Scout but were turned away.

Well, those among them that believe that transgender is a "real thing" shouldn't have a problem with it, since it would follow that all Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are "boys" regardless of what their birth certificates say.  (That doesn't count the non-transgender girls that have apparently been admitted to Cub Scout packs either as a so-called pilot program or under LFL or by local units breaking the rules, etc.)  For those among them that think that "trans boys" are just girls in disguise, or something, it would be a different story.

Does anybody besides me find the terminology very awkward when discussing this subject?  I mean the whole boy/girl thing has gotten kind of confusing in this thread.  And I find that in the preceding paragraph, I used the term "non-transgender", which is a term that probably does not exist.  Out there on the rest of the Internet I have seen a term "cisgender" (or "cis") which is used (largely by transgender people and those who are more into new words than I am) to describe those of us whose birth certificates match our gender identity, or what I just called "non-transgender".  In other words 99.7 percent of people.  But I don't really think that terminology is widely understood in this forum or that people here (including myself) really want to use it.

Does anybody besides me find the terminology very awkward when discussing this subject?  I mean the whole boy/girl thing has gotten kind of confusing in this thread.

Only because we make it confusing. I thought God had taken care of most of the problem by making two sexes.

When @@RememberSchiff said "first female Eagle Scout is transgender" I took that to mean a girl, who wants to be known as a boy, makes Eagle.

Scouting belongs to the "people"?  That's a change in position.  

It's just rhetoric.  (I think you know that.)

Overall, when I read this thing, I am of two minds.  I agree with the basic theme of what he is saying.  But I also have no interest in what he is "tired" of, even if I am tired of some of it too.  Stop whining and do your job, Scout Executive of the Mecklenburg County Council.  If you can't stand the heat, get away from the campfire.  Or something like that.