Transgender policy change

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

yay to the BSA.  Reading posts on here sometimes make me face palm lots. Lots of the  fears / concerns are so alarmist. I run a coed scout group as they all are in the UK and have been for 35 years. I have got girls in my troop, both scouts and cubs,  we do not have any female ladies, do I worry about them getting pregnant, having a period on camp, separate tents, showers etc, no, as all of these are easily solved by being pragmatic and sensible and its nothing to worry about. If I had a trans kid, then nothing would change as generally the kids don't really care, its usually the adults that get all out of sorts about these things.

So what's the YPT protocol for "co-ed" units with male SM/ASM's? 

I imagine no different than all boy units with female SM/ASMs.  Regardless, BSA is asexual in my opinion.  Our unit has never had husband/wife leader team before but it has been discussed.  The Troop would insist on separate tents for even a married couple.

When I was a Scoutmaster, I directed the program so that if the patrol went on a campout in the woods without adults, the patrol would have the exact same experience they have with adults 100 yards away. I don't believe in "boys will be boys", I believe in developing the discipline of living by the Oath and Law. 

My approach may or may not appear realistic to many leaders, but it worked for me. However, I can understand the concern. I was talking to a professional once who told me that the high level professionals had some concerns about mixing genders at the older ages. I'm not really familiar with the camping policies of Crews today, but he did told me that there are a few scouting babies in the 90's from Crew outings and it cost the BSA dearly. He refuse to give any details other than the crews were camping without adults.

So with all due respect, when I hear someone from another country tell us that it's not a big deal and the adults are just over reacting, I don't believe we are getting the whole story. Our program is turning into an after school program that has to be heavily monitored by adults. With these new requirements on sexuality at all ages, how could it not!

Barry  

I imagine no different than all boy units with female SM/ASMs.  Regardless, BSA is asexual in my opinion.  Our unit has never had husband/wife leader team before but it has been discussed.  The Troop would insist on separate tents for even a married couple.

separate tents for a married couple :o thats well mad.

Would I be able to share a tent with my scout leader as we're a couple, but not married ? 

When I was a Scoutmaster, I directed the program so that if the patrol went on a campout in the woods without adults, the patrol would have the exact same experience they have with adults 100 yards away. I don't believe in "boys will be boys", I believe in developing the discipline of living by the Oath and Law. 

My approach may or may not appear realistic to many leaders, but it worked for me. However, I can understand the concern. I was talking to a professional once who told me that the high level professionals had some concerns about mixing genders at the older ages. I'm not really familiar with the camping policies of Crews today, but he did told me that there are a few scouting babies in the 90's from Crew outings and it cost the BSA dearly. He refuse to give any details other than the crews were camping without adults.

So with all due respect, when I hear someone from another country tell us that it's not a big deal and the adults are just over reacting, I don't believe we are getting the whole story. Our program is turning into an after school program that has to be heavily monitored by adults. With these new requirements on sexuality at all ages, how could it not!

Barry  

Out of interested why did a few 'scouting' babies cost the BSA dearly ? 

But I am really concerned about my sons, and all of the boys. It seems as if there are getting to be fewer and fewer 'boys only" organizations as they are constantly getting attacked, yet having girls only organizations are not only OK, but encouraged.

Because being male is toxic, overtly aggressive, dominant, and socially unacceptable.  The goal of equality is to make everyone the same i.e. feminine.  That's been the agenda now for 50 years.  The rise in ADD, ADHD being a male problem attests to the attempt to medicate the problem away.  Careers for all and paid child raising industry have become the new norm.  The traditional nuclear family has gone the way of the dinosaurs. 

Ever notice that all the ills we face today as a society have their root cause in the maleness of our culture?  Why would the BSA not be a target of disdain in that it promotes the male side of the human species.

• Upvote 4

In my neck of the woods, we had one female Venturer whose parents tried to sue because she "ran away" to work at summer camp with her boyfriend. Only reason it didn't go anywhere was because she was 18. Thankfully it all worked out in the end; the two Venturers are now married and the parents and daughter are reconciled. But it got interesting.

This issue in my eyes is not an issue.  She did not run away she left to work at a job.  Sounds like that the parents were way off base here.  

People today have glossed over the reality that the law still states that parents of a pregnant minor can have the DNA proven father brought up on statutory rape charges.  This will put the boy in the National Sex Offender Database.  Parents tend to not do this, but there is still a legal possibility that this can happen.  How many times does the die get rolled to get the answer they want and what are the odds that it's not going to be that answer?  Everyone takes their chances.