Transgender policy change

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

For anyone who is wondering, I reorganized the threads on this subject, moving one from Open Discussion and putting all the posts on the new policy into this thread. I was going to lock the older thread but instead edited the title to direct posts on the policy change into this thread.

Here is a written statement from the BSA web site, http://scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/bsa-addresses-gender-identity/. This statement is a shorter version of the CSE's spoken statement in the video above.

BSA Addresses Gender Identity

January 30, 2017

As one of America’s largest youth-serving organizations, the Boy Scouts of America continues to work to bring the benefits of our programs to as many children, families and communities as possible.

While we offer a number of programs that serve all youth, Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting are specifically designed to meet the needs of boys. For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual’s birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.

Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application. Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.

The Boy Scouts of America is committed to identifying program options that will help us truly serve the whole family, and this is an area that we will continue to thoughtfully evaluate to bring the benefits of Scouting to the greatest number of youth possible – all while remaining true to our core values, outlined in the Scout Oath and Law.

Edited by NJCubScouter

So what's the YPT protocol for "co-ed" units with male SM/ASM's?

There are no "coed" Boy Scout troops, at least not officially. This policy change does not alter that.

Or, to put it another way, Stosh, the BSA has changed its definition of "boy". Their definition now agrees with yours "only" about 99.97% of the time, not 100%.

Edited by NJCubScouter

He said it beautifully and logically.  It is hard to argue with the logic but I know many will.

I agree.

I think the BSA has learned its lesson that letting these kinds of issues drag out for 15-20 years does not do the organization much good. I'd say that's progress.

Edited by NJCubScouter

The YPT question is this.  If a girl registers as a boy (for whatever reason), must the scout unit have a female scout leader at the activities?  

My guess is the answer is yes.  BSA will see this as a potential liability.  A female scout leader will be required.

Since BSA will have no way of knowing if any registered scout is actually a boy or a girl, they will have to require that all Boy Scout activities have a female unit leader.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 2

Was there really any direct input at all from charter organizations leading up to this?  I'm pretty sure there was little. Sure, this had to be confronted sooner or later. However this seems like a decision made solely at the professional level, with not even a pretense of building a consensus.