I heard a rumor at our district banquet that Tour Plans have been eliminated.  I didn't think much of iut, but I went to myscouting.org to fill one out, and it is no longer listed under Legacy Tools.  Anyone else hear anything about this? RichardB?

Dale

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@RichardB, this thread exists because a number of councils are telling their volunteers about a policy change and linking to a memo that is online that YOU apparently wrote.  You did write it, didn't

Our council has a Tour Plan Coordinator.   He name is Helen Weight.    That is who we tell folks to go to.

This sort of reminds me of a bit from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:     The sad part here is that the real-life communications abilities of BSA and its councils are reminding me of a work

The word saying tour planners would be going away was premature. It's not official yet.

EDITED: This information was posted on Bryan on Scouting, and the retraction was on Facebook.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1

There was a post by Mike Walton on one of the Scouting LinkedIn Groups last week saying that Tour Plans would be going away as of April 1, citing, among other things, a desire to process less paperwork and red tape, and the fact that many units never bothered to even fill out Tour Plans when they would travel.  That post has since been removed.

He did note that while the intent was to eliminate them as of April 1, it was still not a done deal and that the team involved in making the decision was still taking comments on the issue.

• 1 month later...

That page from the Gulf Coast Council links to a FAQ document that is apparently from National.  Here is the document:  http://files.constantcontact.com/ac05d2b4101/a38e92b7-3a44-4f10-b81f-71ac99a7d6d8.pdf

I notice that on each page of the FAQ it says "Updated 3/10/17 by RRB".  I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that "RRB" is the same person as our fellow forum member RichardB.

So my first question for @@RichardB is, Are we to ignore the fact that this change in policy goes into effect on April Fools Day?

And my second question is, assuming that this change is real, is it time to put a note on this page, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx, that the contents are about to become obsolete?

Edited by NJCubScouter

Yeah I saw that. But with not solid evidence one way or the other, now this, I thought was interesting.

That page from the Gulf Coast Council links to a FAQ document that is apparently from National.  Here is the document:  http://files.constantcontact.com/ac05d2b4101/a38e92b7-3a44-4f10-b81f-71ac99a7d6d8.pdf

I notice that on each page of the FAQ it says "Updated 3/10/17 by RRB".  I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that "RRB" is the same person as our fellow forum member RichardB.

So my first question for @@RichardB is, Are we to ignore the fact that this change in policy goes into effect on April Fools Day?

And my second question is, assuming that this change is real, is it time to put a note on this page, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx, that the contents are about to become obsolete?

I was thinking the same thing. Usually April Fools jokes are a day before or day of. Announcing THIS early would mean prior planning; something BSA is not noted for.  ;)

Adding an FAQ with all the links seemed overkill for a joke, but who knows.

Well, the previous now-you-see-it-now-you-don't (discussed in the thread that Ken linked to) and the fact that the official national web site still refers to the requirement for tour permits, with no indication that it is becoming defunct in 15 days, does raise a question or two.