FAQ's....http://www.scouting.org/Home/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx

Q. Has all literature been updated to reflect this change? 

A. Key documents are either updated or in the process of being updated. Other literature will be updated in the normal revision cycle so it may take several years to complete. If you find something to be updated feel free to let us know with the “Got Questions†link to the left.

Advancement materials are in the process of update....

Years!!!!??? Years to update!!!????

Is it matter of getting the stone tablets out of the ark in order to change them? Or do the specialized skills for editing stone tablets not yet exist?  :rolleyes:

This is an example of a very easy, low-level task that could be done to keep folks properly informed. I don't think it is unreasonable for members to expect published information from the organization in which they are members to be up-to-date. This should have been planned for AHEAD of the announcement. Proof again BSA does not plan well, react well or adjust well. :dry:

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@RichardB, this thread exists because a number of councils are telling their volunteers about a policy change and linking to a memo that is online that YOU apparently wrote.  You did write it, didn't

Our council has a Tour Plan Coordinator.   He name is Helen Weight.    That is who we tell folks to go to.

This sort of reminds me of a bit from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:     The sad part here is that the real-life communications abilities of BSA and its councils are reminding me of a work

Proof again BSA does not plan well, react well or adjust well. :dry:

Maybe National should be forced to continue to use Tour Permits until they figure out the planning aspect of the program?

Maybe National should be forced to continue to use Tour Permits until they figure out the planning aspect of the program?

No. They should just learn how to run a professional organization where you update your documentation when you make a program change.

If it's going to take years to clean that up, national should expect people to be confused and disgruntled.

No. They should just learn how to run a professional organization where you update your documentation when you make a program change.

If it's going to take years to clean that up, national should expect people to be confused and disgruntled.

And even when they do update them, old documents have a way of hanging around on the Internet until the end of time.  When I look for things online like the Guide to Advancement or Troop Committee Guidebook, I tend to find multiple versions from various years and have to figure out which is the (or at least, "a") more recent version.  You can even find, if you want to, the publication on advancement that pre-dated the Guide to Advancement.

And then of course there are publications which apparently aren't even supposed to be on the Internet (because the BSA charges money for them) but which some unit or individual Scouter has scanned and posted.

All of which creates a great deal of confusion for people trying to find up-to-date information.  I can understand that the BSA does not want to do paper printings of documents "ahead of schedule" due to the cost, but there is no reason why there cannot be a specific online repository of all BSA documents (including those that currently cost money - yeah, sure) that is updated whenever a major change needs to be made - and I think the elimination of the tour permit/plan falls into that category.

Edited by NJCubScouter

All of which creates a great deal of confusion for people trying to find up-to-date information.  I can understand that the BSA does not want to do paper printings of documents "ahead of schedule" due to the cost, but there is no reason why there cannot be a specific online repository of all BSA documents (including those that currently cost money - yeah, sure) that is updated whenever a major change needs to be made - and I think the elimination of the tour permit/plan falls into that category.

Amen.

It is an easy thing to fix and the impact on volunteers would be immediately felt. I will say they seem to going in the right direction with new sites like Program Resources and Troop Leader. I'd prefer an online library model where finding the docs were a bit easier (search feature, indexed, cross-referenced, etc.).

• Upvote 1

Amen.

It is an easy thing to fix and the impact on volunteers would be immediately felt. I will say they seem to going in the right direction with new sites like Program Resources and Troop Leader. I'd prefer an online library model where finding the docs were a bit easier (search feature, indexed, cross-referenced, etc.).

First time I've heard of these websites. I would add they need a better job of advertising them.

First time I've heard of these websites. I would add they need a better job of advertising them.

I dunno if only the web had the ability to have central places, call them hubs or portals, where you could start and then easily navigate to the desired information and as a backup the whole site accessible to and  indexed by common search engines...

We seem lost, but let's look at a map.

http://2zcwe21sj5ak1wpzl92omr3u.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/architecture.pdf

http://itroadmap.scouting.org/

Edited by RememberSchiff

I dunno if only the web had the ability to have central places, call them hubs or portals, where you could start and then easily navigate to the desired information and as a backup the whole site accessible to and  indexed by common search engines...

We seem lost, but let's look at a map.

http://2zcwe21sj5ak1wpzl92omr3u.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/architecture.pdf

http://itroadmap.scouting.org/

Maps are only good if:

- They are accurate

- They show all hazards

- The user knows how to use them

- You have all the gear you need to get from Point A to Point B safely and timely.