• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@RichardB, this thread exists because a number of councils are telling their volunteers about a policy change and linking to a memo that is online that YOU apparently wrote.  You did write it, didn't

Our council has a Tour Plan Coordinator.   He name is Helen Weight.    That is who we tell folks to go to.

This sort of reminds me of a bit from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:     The sad part here is that the real-life communications abilities of BSA and its councils are reminding me of a work

Gotta say I'm not at all broken up about this. As it evolved, the process wrested the control of filing plans from my youth and dumped it on me. That undermined the only benefit I ever thought it had ... Training boys in organizing themselves effectively.

Trip planning and preparation should rest squarely on PL's, den Chiefs, and crew officers. With accountability to parents via the unit leader. Until that happens, we lock our boys in a state of arrested scouting development.

• Upvote 1

I have no problems with a simplified tour permit.  The current one is a pain in the butt.  I actually think it is a good idea to let council know where we are going but having to fill out the same info every month is a pain, and since we don't know the actual attendees until a week before council always makes them send us a warning that it is within 2 weeks of the trip.

I won't miss them.

I'm curious, has anyone ever had to cancel a trip because Council denied a permit, back when they were permits, or had to substantively change a plan because they were remiss in their plannings?

My guess is that thousands upon thousands of these things have been filed over the years without any appreciable effect on anyone's behavior.

I cannot think of any reason Council would need to know where my troop was going.  They're not going to be there to prevent any problems or help in any emergency, and if something does go wrong it's a near certainty that we'll be back home before they would know about it, so why would it matter that they knew of a particular campout ahead of time.

I won't miss them.

I'm curious, has anyone ever had to cancel a trip because Council denied a permit, back when they were permits, or had to substantively change a plan because they were remiss in their plannings?

My guess is that thousands upon thousands of these things have been filed over the years without any appreciable effect on anyone's behavior.

I cannot think of any reason Council would need to know where my troop was going.  They're not going to be there to prevent any problems or help in any emergency, and if something does go wrong it's a near certainty that we'll be back home before they would know about it, so why would it matter that they knew of a particular campout ahead of time.

Yes actually. My pack was going to a state park that was not on the council list of approved facilities. We were told we can't go. This was before the online form.

We have units in our district which don't plan or staff their events to the minimum of the tour plan. As much as I hate paperwork it only takes 10 mins to fill this out and print it. Only needed if we go out of Council. Not a big deal and we will continue to do them even after they are taken down.

Ok - I'll admit to being amused if someone has indeed pranked the councils here.

Well any SE worth his weight would check something like this before they post it. If not, they should be removed. You simply do not post stuff until you've verified its authenticity when you run a business.

Well any SE worth his weight would check something like this before they post it. If not, they should be removed. You simply do not post stuff until you've verified its authenticity when you run a business.

If nothing else, some clarifying statement from National would be nice.