Eagle Scout Medal at Blue and Gold Banquet

Being a new guy is difficult at best.  What we often omit in the discussion is the importance and power of silence.  Listen, observe and reserve judgment.  Gather the intel and be patient.  The time will come when someone in the group offers an opening.  "Well, you've been here for a while.  What do you think?" Now you can speak from your experience of what you've learned by watching, listening, and keeping one's mouth shut. 

Others often are bothered by silence and will open the door for you to walk through unimpeded.

• Upvote 1

Being a new guy is difficult at best.  What we often omit in the discussion is the importance and power of silence.  Listen, observe and reserve judgment.  Gather the intel and be patient.  The time will come when someone in the group offers an opening.  "Well, you've been here for a while.  What do you think?" Now you can speak from your experience of what you've learned by watching, listening, and keeping one's mouth shut. 

Others often are bothered by silence and will open the door for you to walk through unimpeded.

Thanks Stosh, thats good advice I'll keep in the back pocket. 

So one of the things I've noticed right off the bat... is seeing the proliferation of handheld video games by the Webelos and AOL scouts (and some of their younger siblings in the other dens) at Pack meetings.  For me, this is not only disrespectful to the other dens, it's a clear sign the older boys are bored.  Anyone run into  this in their units and have some tips on weaning that out?  Granted the AOLs will age out and cross over, but I really want to nip this in the bud but without dropping some kind of ban hammer on them.  That's only going to breed resentment.  Thoughts? 

Edited by Gwaihir

So one of the things I've noticed right off the bat... is seeing the proliferation of handheld video games by the Webelos and AOL scouts (and some of their younger siblings in the other dens) at Pack meetings.  For me, this is not only disrespectful to the other dens, it's a clear sign the older boys are bored.  Anyone run into  this in their units and have some tips on weaning that out?  Granted the AOLs will age out and cross over, but I really want to nip this in the bud but without dropping some kind of ban hammer on them.  That's only going to breed resentment.  Thoughts? 

Nope, I would not allow that. And its never happened, because the boys are always involved in something at a pack meetings. They are fun, engaging, and they always take something away from them. 

That being said, I would drop the hammer and ban them.