My favorite Breakfast

Country Breakfast

1 pound bulk pork sausage

1 pound peppered bacon

2 boxes dehydrated (NOT FROZEN) hash brown potatoes

1 dozen eggs

1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese

Dice bacon In the bottom of the Dutch Oven, crumble the pork sausage add the bacon, and onions and brown. Add hash brown potatoes, cover with water, boil until water is dissolved. Fry potato/sausage mixture until potatoes are browned. Remove the Dutch oven from the coals. Using a large spoon, make several depressions in the top of the potatoes. Crack one or two eggs in to each of the depressions. Cover the Dutch Oven. Add heat to the top to cook the eggs. When the whites are white, sprinkle cheese over the top and return the heat to the top of the Dutch Oven long enough to melt the cheese. The yolks should be liquid. Eat and enjoy

My favorite lunch

HOT SAUSAGE AND SHRIMP JAMBALAYA

1 lb hot link sausage, cut in 1/2 in pieces

2 onions, chopped

1 cup parsley

4 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups water

1 can tomatoes

1 tsp thyme

salt to taste

2 cups rice

1 lb frozen peeled shrimp

Cook sausage and onions in large skillet until onions are clear. Add garlic and parsley. Cook until parsley is limp. Transfer to Dutch oven, add water, tomatoes, thyme and salt. Bring to boil. add rice and shrimp. Stir once, lower heat, cover, and simmer. Cook until rice is tender. Add more water if necessary.

My favorite dessert

Memphis Molly

1 16oz can tart cherries (not pie filling)

1 16oz can blueberries (not pie filling)

1 can crushed pineapple drained

1 small package of chopped walnuts

2 boxes Jiffy cake mix

1/2 stick butter pats

oil

2 eggs

Spread fruit and nuts in bottom of dutch oven. Mix cake mix per instructions on box, mix in a ziploc bag and you have not cleanup. Pour cake mix over all Cook 20 -30 minutes or until "cake" is done

Shell in WA, USA,

Noting your location I just have to relate the following: A few years ago I was doing some work on the Columbia/Snake River system and I stumbled on a local natural resource type who was collecting squawfish and paying a bounty on them. (for those interested, the bounty was $3 each, later increased to $4-6 each) Now most persons don't know this but squawfish are a major predator on juvenile salmon and they have no commercial value other than the bounty which is paid to try to control their populations. Squawfish account for nearly %80 of the predation as the young salmon run to the sea. Incidentally, these squawfish are a different species from the Colorado squawfish which is an endangered species. But they are both in the minnow family (really, really large minnows). But I digress.

I watched as fishermen brought these by and collected their bounties. Many of them weighed in the 2-5 pound range. Before I could stop myself, I mused outloud that perhaps if people discovered that squawfish were actually good to eat, that could create greater fishing pressure on them. I stupidly asked, "Does anyone eat squawfish?"

Now I have heard approximately the same description of how to prepare: gar, carp, freshwater drum, suckers, saltwater catfish...and I could tell by the person's expression that I was going to hear it again. Sure enough, the board, the oven, the..ahem..manure, then one eats the manure and throws everything else away, ha ha. Same old story. So having 'asked for it' I took my 'medicine' thankful that I would know not to make that mistake again. So...to make a long story a little shorter here is a tasty dish we created employing a tastier creature:

One or more cutthroat trout, minimum 20 inches in length (absolutely required) are cleaned and lightly salted and peppered (optional), head on is ok. In a dutch oven (not preferred), or grill, or griddle, or even on a really hot smooth, clean stone on a bed of coals, cook potatoes and just begin to sautee onions in butter (in a pan separately). After the spuds are done, slice them and lay them out as a bed for the fish. Lay the fish out on them and cover them with the mostly-cooked onions and butter. Either broil this with a really hot fire on the sides or in a really hot dutch oven with lots of coals on top. The fire works better because it's quicker. Cook until the fish is done but not beyond. Optionally, you can pour on a little melted cheese after broiling the fish. You can do this directly on hot coals by slicing the raw potatoes longwise and laying them skin down on the coals. Let them cook a bit before applying the fish. Also, don't pour on the butter (fire hazard). Anyway, this is really good. But I suppose it could just be a function of the degree of hunger. H'mm, I should try it with gar, maybe squawfish. Bon Apetite

The battle lines have been drawn and the planning for our annual cooking campout are underway.

I previewed some of the menus this week and here's what's on.

Cajun smoked turkey breast. Turn a tall box into a smoker/cooker. Plans are on food tv .com Good eats. and modified to use live coal instead of hot plate.

Carribian pork salad

Jamacian roast beef

spiced carrots

mashed yucca

Spoon bread with roast pears and peachs