Say, I'm involved in a troop and am the program Coordinator for a Cub Scout day camp. I'm tired of my same old tried and true recipes. Anyone want to share their favorite camping or campfire recipe whether it be DO, Stick, Foil, or other? I can share some too down the line.

Omlette in a bag or breakfast burrito:

Heavy duty gallon bag (freezer rated)

Mixed two eggs or three, depending how much cholesterol you'd like.

Add chopped onion (if desired)

Add chopped bell pepprt (ig desired)

Add salt & pepper to your liking (and a touch of tobasco sauce for those who like it hot!)

Add chopped sausages (cooked), bacons (cooked), hamburger (cooked) meat ... whatever you carnivorous heart desires ... I prefer all three.

Add grated cheese

and anything else that you would like in your omlette ... tomatoes, etc...

Place the baggie of goodies into boiling pot of water until egg is cooked or cease to be runny (about 2-5 minutes or longer depend on how boiling your water is!). Hence, please cook any meat thoroughly first before add them into the baggie. Remember, do not use regular plastic bag, it will get punctured. Don't forget a permanent marker to mark the names on the baggies.

Eat as omlette or place in tortilla with a dab of picante sauce for wonderful breakfast burrito that can be eaten as lunch!

I usually get a lot of skepticisms at first about how good it would take and I usually get a lot amazement from the boys (and some of the new parents) as to how easy it is to make and how good it tastes after they have eating it.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I'm a Cub Grub guy ;) at my district DC; second year at that task (three years before that as the wood guy).

Last year I did Dutch oven cobblers and hot dogs.

Dutch oven cobblers work! I'm going to do them again this year.

I'm also going to do twist. I'm going to do it under an austere environment though... nonfat dry milk, bisquik, and YOU JUST GAVE ME AN IDEA.... forget the spoons and the cut down milk jugs as mixing bowls ... I'm going to have parents/cubs measure mix into gallon plastic bags, add water, knead in the bag, turn out and twist onto the sticks!!!

THANKS Shell!!!!

YIS John

Dutch Oven Pasta Bake

Recipe assumes a 12" DO, adjust if yours is bigger/smaller

Ingredients:

2 bags of spiral pasta noodles (plain or vegetable, doesn't matter)

2 cans Hunt's (or equivalent) spaghetti sauce, meat or sausage flavor

1 8 oz bag of shredded mozzarella cheese

1 3 oz package of sliced pepperoni

1 box(?) frozen chopped spinach

Grated parmesan cheese if desired

Directions: Boil the pasta noodles till they're "al dente", or cook them up at home and put them in a tupperware container in the cooler. While boiling, start your charcoal and line the DO with wide, HD foil. Drain the noodles very well, pour in the DO. Mix in the pepperoni and chopped spinach until it's all evenly distributed. Mix in 1/3 of the cheese. Pour in both cans of spaghetti sauce, unheated, so that it covers the noodles evenly and seeps down to the bottom. Cover the DO, and put it on the coals to get a temp of about 350 -- even coals on top and bottom. Don't stir it. When the sauce starts to boil, remove the DO from the coals, but leave the ones on the lid. Pour the remaining cheese evenly on top of the noodle mix, and replace the lid. Check it after about ten minutes. When the cheese is melted, but before it turns brown, remove the lid and serve. Top with parmesan if desired.

KS

Where's Cheffy when you need 'im? That guy and his troop eat very, very well. All the dutch oven stuff is great. I'm just a little suspicious of the 'eggs-in-a-bag' thing, though. I've seen the conflicting data on plasticizers in heated foods but I would like to see those studies done on this preparation technique. Maybe I worry too much.

For a lot of good recipes check out the 'Ol Geezers Cook Book'. Should be able to find it on the internet.

One favorite that our scouts like to try is eggs on a spit. Use either a small metal spit ( not a round one but one with edges, the edges keep the egg from spinning on the spit) or a wooden one the scouts have whittled. Start a hole with a small pointed knife, insert the spit into the hole and place the end of the egg without a hole on a solid surface and tap the end of the spit through. Place the spitted egg on two supports near the coals and turn as needed.

Some of the eggs may 'explode' or crack but most will cook through just like a hard boiled egg. the scouts seem to enjoy the cracked ones as much as the finished ones. Some of the scouts just like to try to cook them and let the others eat them.

Have fun.

yis

recipes?

there are recipes for campfire and Scout cooking?

That just takes all the fun out of it. There wouldn't be any more chicken surprise if we all followed recipes. There would be no more super-atomic-green-funk-dutch-oven-chili (don't ask). There would be know more contests to name the now unidentifiable food we just cooked.

My suggestion is to come up with something you want to make, and try and make it. If you put good stuff into good cookware and use good common sense methods of preparation you will get something good out of it. You may not get what you wanted, but you will still get something good.

My troop created its favorite dish in this way. We were trying to create a chicken casserole using a rough adaptation of someones memory of a recipe they had once seen. We ended up with way too much water in the thing. We ended up having a very stew like chicken dish. When we served it, it quickly gained the name chicken surprise. It turned into the troops all time favorite dish. We still don't have a recipe for it, just make sure it contains: chicken, rice and/or noodles, some vegetables of some sort, seasonings, maybe some cream of mushroom or some other sort of soup as an extra item for the base, and whatever else is in the patrol box or troop trailer, and you too will soon have chicken surprise. Who knows, you may even rediscover that casserole we were trying to make.

(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

OK you asked for it.

This is the latest one going around and not totally perfected yet.

DO Taco bake

Works best in a 10" DO

You need 10" flour tortillas about 10

gound beef 2#

Taco seasoning

refried beans 1 Lg can

cheese Cheddar jack combo is good about 1#

salsa 2 jars

cook and season grd beef

Line the Do with foil

lay in 1 tortilla

top with beef and a little salsa

top this with beans and cheese

Repeat until you use up everything and top the whole thing with more cheese

Kind of like a lasagne

Put on low fire until everything is hot and melted

Let cook for about 5 min until things "set"

Cut into wedges and serve. Goes good with chips.

packsaddle ... if I were to worry about plasticizers in heated foods (which this cooking technique by the way has been a fav for a while now ... we even show it during OLST) then I need to worry about the extra aluminum in our foil meal diets (aluminum was purported to have ties with Alzheimer), the rust and corrosion in some of BSA camps' water, the additives in coolaids, rust and iron bits from our dutch ovens, etc. ;) You do worry too much! :) I worry more about my cholestrol level than anything else, cause everything else that I eat already tainted with additives, flavorings, preservatives, ... chemical galores. So Packsaddle ... try it. I was surprised how good it tasted the first time that I tried it 6 years ago. I'm probably going to pay for it later in my old age, but I think that the cholestrol is going to get me first!

ShellinWA, I like to show the Cubs how to cook in the Dutch Oven as well, but that usually take too long. Cobbler has always worked.

For some reference off the Net:

http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/breakfast/omelette.html

http://www.onefunbunch.com/app/recipelist.jsp?book=1&chapter=217

Here are a few of my favorite sites for scouting recipes:

http://www.troop792.org/cook.htm

http://www.troop718.org/cookbook/

http://www.bsatroop28.org/Downloads/Official.Documents/Cookbook.pdf

http://www.tricreekdistrict.org/cooking.htm

http://scout.ao.com/Notes/phlmntcb.html

http://www.scouttroop.org/tx/bsa/38/troop38links.htm

http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/

There are some quick recipes there.

Hey Cheffy ... will try your recipe ... sounds great!

1Hour

OneHour, I guess I plead guilty. I did consider the aluminum thing until I studied the mechanisms involved. Besides, Al is inescapable as you mention. Somehow, though, I have developed a taste for browned (slightly burned) eggs and cheese in the omelets. I guess it comes naturally from a liking of charred mammal flesh. But you're right, as a person who likes to suck head and eat tail, I probably worry too much. :)

Edited part: Uuuuh, that's as in 'crawfish' for those of you who haven't had the pleasure.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

on a canoe trip last summer - we 'forgot' some of the cooking pots - so we had only one dutch oven and individual mess kits.

We were supposed to have breakfast burritos for breakfast - but the bacon and sausage was supposed to be "on the side" for those who didn't want/ like everything.

It did help that for expediency and packing - the boys had chopped all the veggies at home ahead of time and had them in baggies.

Instead - the bacon and sausage were cooked up together in one big dutch oven - we poured off the grease, added the eggs and peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc all into the big pot and scrambled it all up. Toss a spoonful in a burrito shell and sprinkle on some grated cheese and roll. Picante sauce optional.

Best breakfast I ever had!

Foil packets are GREAT -

but for a change, instead of hamburger (dull and tasteless) do them with HAM or Spam - sliced thick. Potatoes, slice thin, with butter, salt & pepper.

Or chicken breasts - salt and pepper

BAnnana boats -

lay the bannana on it's side, so it doesn't roll. cut/ peel away the top strip of bannana skin - slice the bannana inside the skin, lengthwise - and stuff the crack and between the bannana and the skin with choc chips (or choc cunks from hershey bars) & mini-marshmallows. place the skin 'flap' over the opening, wrap in tinfoil and heat in coals until marshmallow and choc are melted - YUMMY!

Ther is a magazine out called "camping life"that I bought when one of the boys wwas raiseing cash for a school trip. Every month there are great articles on camp cooking. They sort of theme them like all things cobbler, or chicken,Mexican etc. The magazine is also covers both RV and backpack camping. About a year ago they had an excellent article on map and compass use. Almost better than the handbook, especially the part on find your way without a compass.

Try making Smacos. They are Smore Tacos. All you need is a 12" skillet, Flour tortillas, miniature marshmallows and chocolate chips.

Put tortilla in skillet, add some chocolate chips and marshmallows, fold tortilla in half and place over heat (campfire or cook stove) til everything melts and voila a SMACO!

bs