ownership of scout units

Sorry i have not posted in awhile. Work is the reason. I'll leave it at that.

Hmmmm.... I don't get that read. He is not running down BSA,just pointing out where there are those who have their heads in the sand. Ignoring the problems doesn't solve anything, nor does Pollyanna conversation. People who care and speak up are at least defining there is a problem. That's the first step in dealing with it. Enough heads in the game and maybe things can get better. If I didn't believe that I would not have spent the last few years on this forum.

This is the most accurate post I have seen and is the reason for my post. I never asked or told  anyone to join me and quit. I will ask you to evaluate why you scout and the organization itself. And if you know about things that should change try to change them. Do not ignore them. That is not honorable or ethical. Do something about it. I'm posting to let you know I tried to fix the problem. At this time it can't be fixed. Mostly because most scout members are putting up with it, so the BSA Organization has no reason to fix it. Everyone has to make up their own minds, for me if the problem will not be fixed by going to the top. Then I had no other choice, but to quit. It is that or ignore the problem. I will not bury my head in the sand. The problem as far as the BSA are concerned has NOT been defined yet. Only ignored.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shift, it seems to me that what you really want, the purpose you're here, is to convince us that the BSA is not worthy and that we should leave. You never really asked a question. It was always a stat

David, I think you are talking about a fidelity bond (aka fidelity insurance policy), not a surety bond. But I agree with the general idea. The policy would obligate the insurance company to reimbur

So the purpose of your posting is what?? 

Regarding Scouting removing a volunteer, unless A) it a youth protection issue B) health and safety issue, or C) legal issue, they will not remove someone. If the CO would have sought legal recourse, the the council would have jumped in.

Regarding Scouting removing a volunteer, unless A) it a youth protection issue B) health and safety issue, or C) legal issue, they will not remove someone. If the CO would have sought legal recourse, the the council would have jumped in.

we all know that after a CO gets shed of dishonest scout members 99% of the time that is the end of the CO involvement. After all they no longer belong with the CO's scout unit. However the BSA still has them as scout members. And as scout members these people are your fellow members, they represent scouting the BSA and all it's members.

Not for me any more.

I also should add that scouts like these know the CO will most likely not pursue them. And if the CO will not go after them, they also know the BSA will not either. This is why the problem continues for the honest scout members. That is why I think the BSA need to be involved with the behavior of it's members. Enforcing the SCOUT OATH and LAW is not too much to ask.

The person from the Scout Council admitted that Scout Leaders like these know the loop holes in Scouting and use them. I informed him loop holes can only be used if they are left in place to be used. Fix the loop holes is not asking too much either. But it takes more then just one person to make it a big deal. I not tell anyone to quit. but you could

still get after the BSA and make it a big deal. I don't think this should be "marked Solved"

Scouting, of any nationality or region, is a promotion of "IDEALS".   If one strives to meet and live by  those ideals, they are being,  IMVHO, a better than the average human, ...   Is not our purpose, as "SCOUTERS" , then,  to encourage young folk to see the benefit to themselves and  the rest of the world of striving to meet those ideals?  To see the  advantage of those ideals to  human , if not the Earth's existence? 

If one strives to live by the ideal  "me first, everybody else fend for themselves".  well, I guess that explains a lot of the world's problems, ultimately.  

The fact that we have centerlines on roads is part of the Social Contract we modern folks live by.   The internet hackers that have found electronic ways to steal others' bank accounts without even going into a bank to say "put the money in the bag" are evidence of  the ultimate "Me First"  generation.  

I have had raincoats (with my name and phone number in it) disappear off chair backs after Scout meetings and never appear again.  I have had whole backpacks be returned, untouched, to me when left behind on the Metro.

I have had drivers give me the finger AFTER I let them preceed me on the off ramp.  I have had folks wave me on when I tried to slow for their progress. 

Should the CO pursue the miscreants in court?  Possibly. It would make it easier for the BSA to , as Shift would have it, "discipline" those folks out of Scouting.  On the other hand, would that lack lead me to believe all Scouting is a waste of time?  I doubt it.  

Sometimes paying no taxes is legal, sometimes not.  Depends on 1) the law  2) your lawyer  and accountant 3) Your desire and sense of "fair play". 

As Dr. Kent M. Keith said in his famously misquoted poem said,"  Do good anyway". 

See you on the trail.....

• Upvote 1

This will be my last post on this subject. While I know many scouts should feel the same as I do and would want the BSA to defend it's honor and integrity. I am sad to see so many scout defending the lack of involvement of the BSA and there for defending bad behavior in scouting.