BOR, Advancement Report at Committee Meeting

well that's just it, aint it?

the only thing about the training side track is that a committee member that doesn't know the program, or is still stuck in adult lead cub mode, or whatever really doesn't know what to ask or how to interpret things in a useful way....  I think that's the only point of that

You're right, the bigger question is does your committee do a formal bit on this topic for the attending scoutmaster, or does the feedback from BOR go into a black hole..... and I would add the question does the committee purposely fish for that kind of feedback when doing BORs

One thing I think to remember, & I suppose I really should refresh my memory before writing this, but I believe there is a bit about BOR's being confidential so there is a bit of a tip toe dance to be done here....

• Upvote 1

CC: "Ya know, John, the past few BOR's I have conducted seem to all follow the same flow.  It would seem the boys aren't getting enough outings like they used to."

SM: "I've noticed that too, but with the lack of reliable ASM's and parents stepping up to be backup for me, it's a bit more difficult lately.

CC: "Sounds like something we as a committee need to address.  I hadn't realized we were short on personnel."

No confidentiality issues, a concern expressed, a bit of dialog and some possible solutions to the issuess the boys are talking about.  The CC isn't trying to make any program changes, just aired out some of the concerns the boys seem to be expressing in their BOR's. 

CC: "Oh, by the way, the boys seemed to still talk about that canoe trip the troop took last summer.  It must have been something they really enjoyed.  Might want to keep that ball rolling for a while.

SM: "Really, I didn't think they were all that excited about it.  But it's good to know, for next summer."

It works both ways, both the positive and negative feedback.  And yes, all that interviewing the BOR does is wasted unless the information collected is actually used to support the program of the troop.

Thread did go off topic a wee bit. As CC, I  occasionally pass stuff to on to SM, most of which he knows already. As far as bringing stuff up at Committee, I have a quick roundtable at the end where I ask for any suggestions, improvements or concerns. Some are more vocal than others. 

We could always do better following the patrol method and being a Scout-run troop. And the parents and the SM and the committee folk know this and it's a work in progress.