Exploration MB help please

Hi

My son bought an Exploration (possibly "Exploring", it isn't right in front of me) MB book at the Scout shop last week... but neither of us can find anything at all about it online. A few sites mention it as one for the future, but there really doesn't seem to be any more information available. 

He read the reqs and would like to find a counselor, etc., but what's the story?? Is it unreleased as of yet? It isn't listed on merit badge sites that I can find. 

thanks, baseballfan

Exploration Merit Badge is super-new.  I had heard it was supposed to be formally announced and released at the Jamboree in July (it's on the list of Merit Badges being offered there), so I'm surprised they already have pamphlets in stores.  There hasn't been a formal announcement of it yet from the BSA.

All that said, you won't be finding any counselors for it yet, since very few even know of its existence.

• Upvote 1

Talk to your troop committee chair and see if someone in your troop can sign up to counsel it. (You might have to share a copy of the requirements so people know what you're talking about.

If not, ask at your district round-table for someone to volunteer to help your son. Anyone who does field surveys as part of his/her job would make a great counselor: biology/geology/anthropology departments at many colleges, museums, heck I know one guy who traveled the world looking for new plants at pharmaceuticals.

It sounds like a fun badge, and your son is "paving the way" for other scouts to enjoy it!

I had never heard of it before, but here it is, with a picture of the badge and the requirements from the BSA's web site:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Exploration.pdf

On the badge itself, it looks like they're going for an Indiana Jones thing. I'm guessing it is the only merit badge with a whip on it.

The requirements are a combination of things but the main focus seems to be on planning and going on a scientific expedition.

I was thinking of what qualifications you would want to have to be a counselor for this, and it occurred to me, the ideal counselor would be @@packsaddle. :)

Great idea, Qwazse. I think I'll bring it up at our next meeting. I'm actually in charge of recruiting counselors and managing the list, so I'll see if I can make this happen. 

Thanks everyone for your input.

Edited by Baseballfan
  • 4 weeks later...

I had never heard of it before, but here it is, with a picture of the badge and the requirements from the BSA's web site:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Exploration.pdf

On the badge itself, it looks like they're going for an Indiana Jones thing. I'm guessing it is the only merit badge with a whip on it.

The requirements are a combination of things but the main focus seems to be on planning and going on a scientific expedition.

I was thinking of what qualifications you would want to have to be a counselor for this, and it occurred to me, the ideal counselor would be @@packsaddle. :)

I feel like 'Jambi' in the old Pee Wee show: "Wish, did someone make a wish?" 

'Ideal' probably doesn't apply but I can help if anyone is interested enough. I'm still taking students to exotic overseas places to study weird stuff. Repeat after me, "mecalecahi mecahinyho"!

Frank Buck,  Theodore Roosevelt, Darwin and the Beagle, Shackleton, Hillary, Lewis and Clark,  Jacque Cartier,  Vitus Bering,  William Beebe,  Jacque Cousteau,  Hernan Cortes, Michael Ryan,  Roy Chapman Andrews,  Noonian Sung....

Edited by SSScout