Council Shoulder Patches Booklet

Has anyone seen a simple booklet of Council Shoulder Patches for the beginner patch collector?  Would like to design one for our event this fall.

Since I'm not a collector, is there any websites scouts should check out that you provide links for and tips I should include on patch trading?

I don't know if there's a set of books big enough to offer up enough pages to do it justice.  My council alone has so many shoulder patches, I think they have one for every day of the week.  I think they come out with a new patch every so often to use as a fundraiser.  I still wear the patch I put on 25 years ago and haven't bothered to change.  I'm thinking it's worth quite a mint now.

Over the course of a year, I know there's one for the Council, one for FOS, one for major fundraising, one for any specialty event like Jamboree, one for just the Cubs, one for Just the Scouts.  And then there's the OA council patches, and the list goes on and on and on....

However on my "historic" uniform I have my community strip and state strip and get FAR more comments on that overall.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if there's a set of books big enough to offer up enough pages to do it justice.  My council alone has so many shoulder patches, I think they have one for every day of the week.  I think they come out with a new patch every so often to use as a fundraiser.  I still wear the patch I put on 25 years ago and haven't bothered to change.  I'm thinking it's worth quite a mint now.

Over the course of a year, I know there's one for the Council, one for FOS, one for major fundraising, one for any specialty event like Jamboree, one for just the Cubs, one for Just the Scouts.  And then there's the OA council patches, and the list goes on and on and on....

However on my "historic" uniform I have my community strip and state strip and get FAR more comments on that overall.

Honest with ya Stosh, I thought about this too and added the word 'beginner' for this very reason.  The patch would have to be the main CSP for that Council.  More and more as I think about it it is best served for the Jamboree crew so scouts goal is not really about the patch per se but meeting scouts from all over.  Some of the brotherhood camporee would see the worth of this patch booklet.  Who knows maybe two troops would decide to camp together at a mid point and spend a weekend trading while learning about the other for life long friendships.  (Maybe I should add this last sentence as  purpose of the booklet? ;) )

Patch trading is a nice hobby and a lot of scouts do it.  I myself have a huge bucket of patches that cover 40+ years of scouting.  Yet, when all is said and done concerning the Council Patches, from 5' away they are basically unreadable with all the fancy colors and designs, etc. and yet from 15' away I can clearly make out DETROIT, MICH in red and white.  Seriously unless one is in the neighborhood, where on god's green earth is FOUR LAKES COUNCIL or BAY LAKES COUNCIL. 

I might be a bit old-fashioned, but within that old-fashionedness is a spark of common sense, too.  :)

So will the patch people be upset?  Heavens no! One's going to need to collect a community strip for every town in America!    That'll keep them busy for a while.

My local library has a book that has every U.S. Council in alphabetical order with their patches going back to the time that Council patches were first introduced. It also includes foreign councils, cancelled councils, and merged councils. I believe it was printed in the early 2000's, so it isn't quite up-to-date, but it is still a treasure trove of information for anybody looking into a collection.

Maybe you could start with a map book: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/OutdoorProgram/Properties/Region%20and%20Area%20Maps.aspx

Let the boys figure out the patch for each council.

Qwasze.. found that and decided that my booklet will only list the councils in NE region since I need to limit things to 2 sheets of pages..

My local library has a book that has every U.S. Council in alphabetical order with their patches going back to the time that Council patches were first introduced. It also includes foreign councils, cancelled councils, and merged councils. I believe it was printed in the early 2000's, so it isn't quite up-to-date, but it is still a treasure trove of information for anybody looking into a collection.

Latin Scot... This is news to me.  Going to need to google this tidbit for myself and see if I can find it.

Eagle 94... Haven't found this not seen a publication of the DVD you mention either.  Guess my search is a bit limiting.

My local library has a book that has every U.S. Council in alphabetical order with their patches going back to the time that Council patches were first introduced.

Share that ISBN with us if you remember to write it down the next time you're in the library. Please and thanks!

Okay so here is the book's information:

The Boy Scout Council Shoulder Patch Guide : A Tour of Councils Through Their Patches

by Steven and Elisa Delman

Council%20Patch%20Book_zpsvbhw2vz6.jpg

It seems there have been several editions printed since the original; I think the cover I have posted is the latest one. Looking through it again, I note that it actually isn't as thorough as I remember (last time I read it was a year ago). It can be a bit fickle in which patches it includes; I do know that if you get the past editions you will get a more comprehensive view of the patches that were made. Evidently with each new edition they add lots of new patches, but at the expense of including older ones. Thus you may want to get all the editions printed; they are only $2 - $4 on Amazon. I hope this helps!

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 2