Can Senior Patrol Leaders Run Twice?

Once again we prove the adage that   ""The work is done by whoever shows up""

You can elect, you can appoint, but the boys will see who does what.  And they will ultimately decide what they will do.   Either by jumping in or by dragging feet. 

If the ADULTS decide, the boys will never have to.   If the BOYS decide,  they will find out how it feels to succeed at something they  decided on.  

No matter who decides,  if no one shows up,   nothing gets done.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again we prove the adage that   ""The work is done by whoever shows up"" You can elect, you can appoint, but the boys will see who does what.  And they will ultimately decide what they will

Hmmmm, if rule making by adults is important to the operation of the troop, why not have an opportunity for each boy to be SPL for a 1 week, 1 term election and then everyone can mark it off on their

In my troop any of the POR positions are open for selection, volunteering included.  The boy holds the position for as long as he wants and as long as he does the job as long as this buddies want him

On 1/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, Jarmfam said:

Hello! I am a Scout Master for Troop 18, but have one question. Can Senior Patrol Leaders re-run? If they can't is there some Scout book that states it? Thanks!

Yes...and I would encourage it if he's really good. 

I would advise you to also identify other guys who could under-study him should he get re-elected.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Stosh said:

With only 2 patrols, that's not much of a job for an SPL.  If the two PL's needed to discuss anything they could do it over the phone.

Personally, I believe some small Troops do. We do not have many adult leaders (SM, 1 ASM, CC, 2 or 3 committee members). But the committee members only fill in when needed and aren’t as active. 

I help with administrative stuff as SPL. For us, it’s more of a general administrative / oversee lead, but the PLC still meets and makes meeting plans & all that. 

All of our volunteers work on-Call jobs so sometimes they can not even come due to work. That’s why we have a SPL, so the other parents/volunteers don’t have to worry since they will have me (current SPL) to be able to instruct both patrols on what to do and oversee.

I have no problem with the SPL functioning as an JASM, but if they interfere with the Pls running the patrols that's a whole different story.  As a PL support person that's great.  Help the APLs be an asset to the patrol.