Manned lunar space flights have become obsolete.  We have robots to do that job. 

If modern computer chips were available 50 years ago, Gene Cernan would have never walked on the moon.  There would have been no need for him to do so.

I think the idea at the time was that that was just the first step toward something greater.  I think there is some benefit to mankind reaching beyond this planet.  Call me an idealist.  Call me a Star Trek fan.  Whatever.

Here is where it really started:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJrvT9sTPk

Even has original commercials.  

You can get it on DVD, too.   STEM movie night?  A double feature !    DESTINATION MOON:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m1lrf

and    IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9d9-pHZzIE

Scouts have their own popcorn, right?  

Manned lunar space flights have become obsolete.  We have robots to do that job. 

If modern computer chips were available 50 years ago, Gene Cernan would have never walked on the moon.  There would have been no need for him to do so.

Yes, it is getting much harder to impress young people.  That is why the Barnum & Bailey Circus is shutting down.

Naw, PETA took the circus out of the circus. 

Yeah, "just".  Well, as long as it's easy.

LIke Jules Verne, his science fiction became science reality on many occasions.  Star Trek, too, and what someone imagines, someone else makes real.  Been happening on a regular basis now for about 100 years.  A pace faster than any time in human history.

LIke Jules Verne, his science fiction became science reality on many occasions.  Star Trek, too, and what someone imagines, someone else makes real.  Been happening on a regular basis now for about 100 years.  A pace faster than any time in human history.

Listen, I'm all for people trying to figure out how to warp space and time and stuff.  When you figure it out, let us know.

When Stephen Hawking made his guest appearance on Star Trek: The Next Generation, they took him on a tour of the set, and when they got to the "warp core", he smiled and said, "We're working on that."

I'm sure there were plenty of people back in the 1800's that smiled nicely around Mr. Verne and enjoyed his science FICTION.novels like we like our science fiction today.

It always reminds me of the Living History Farms in Des Moines, Iowa.  They had an Indian farmstead, a colonial farmstead, a pioneer farmstead, a farm of the 1930's, a modern farm and a future farm.  The future farm is now an administrative facility because everything in in is no longer future.