Modifying/Updating Vintage BSA Backpack Frames

My troop acquired a bunch of gear. Some too old and torn up to be of any use, some old but still quite usable. And some that are like new. Two of the old but usable items are vintage BSA backpack frame, specifically the "Large Cruiser" and the the smaller L-shaped "Frontier Frame" What the troop is looking to do is get a hip belt, and possibly updated straps, so that we can loan it out for those getting started in backpacking.  Any ideas on which hipbelts and pads top go after?

Only thing I can thing of is going after old Camp Trail hipbelts and straps since they made the BSA frames.

Eagle, I think you are on the right track--a lot of the Camp Trails stuff would work just fine.

Just a thought/memory--the old hip belts were very primitive by today's standards.   Some weren't even padded, they were just web belts with buckles. 

Glad to hear the old equipment will be back on the trail.   

Edited by desertrat77

I'm thinking scuba diving shops would be a source for cheap webbing belts and buckles similar o what I remember old packs having for waist belts...

like this

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Diving-Webbing-Plastic/dp/B006UMNWES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484579846&sr=8-4&keywords=scuba+weight+belt

a bit of retrofitting required, but maybe an option

Edited by blw2

well there you go....

well, cost maybe, and it looks like those might still require some rigging to attach to an old frame but much better than a diving weight belt!

• 4 weeks later...

Back about a hundred years ago when I was a scout, my scoutmaster replaced the hip belt on his backpack with a car seat belt.  I assume he got it at a junkyard.  It looked kind of ridiculous, and maybe it weighed more than the original equipment, but it worked a lot better than what anyone else had, and it was a lot easier to put on and off.

Back about a hundred years ago when I was a scout, my scoutmaster replaced the hip belt on his backpack with a car seat belt.  I assume he got it at a junkyard.  It looked kind of ridiculous, and maybe it weighed more than the original equipment, but it worked a lot better than what anyone else had, and it was a lot easier to put on and off.

Now that you mention it, gear was not as "Gucci" back then as it is today.

It just had to be functional, and if it ugly as sin or weighed a little extra, that was okay.   Kids backpacking with ancient canvas packs, lots of heavy GI surplus items, etc.   It it worked, it worked.

Now that you mention it, gear was not as "Gucci" back then as it is today.

It just had to be functional, and if it ugly as sin or weighed a little extra, that was okay.   Kids backpacking with ancient canvas packs, lots of heavy GI surplus items, etc.   It it worked, it worked.

"Government surplus: if it's designed for combat, it may survive Boy Scouts." I still have my old A.L.I.C.E. pack that I did two 50 milers with.

"Government surplus: if it's designed for combat, it may survive Boy Scouts." I still have my old A.L.I.C.E. pack that I did two 50 milers with.

ALICE rocks!

Among my artifacts, things that as a scout I faithfully packed for each campout and backpacking trip:

- WWII mess kit

- GI 1 quart green canteen, 2 each (my sole water storage devices for a Philmont trek)

- Korea War era canteen cup

These items are rock solid, built like a tank.   Now and again I sip my morning coffee from the canteen cup.

I know technology has come a long ways.  But....

ALICE rocks!

Among my artifacts, things that as a scout I faithfully packed for each campout and backpacking trip:

- WWII mess kit

- GI 1 quart green canteen, 2 each (my sole water storage devices for a Philmont trek)

- Korea War era canteen cup

These items are rock solid, built like a tank.   Now and again I sip my morning coffee from the canteen cup.

I know technology has come a long ways.  But....

Bear Cub son snuck in on older brothers'  Castaway/ Wilderness Survival weekend back in December and had a blast. For Christmas, he got USGI canteen, canteen cup, case, and a Rothco stove for the rig. Happy Camper :)

One weekend outings it's only the ALICE or BSA Yucca packs for me.  Only if I'm going to be out for a week does the modern backpack make it off he shelf.

I hear ya. Up until very recently, I had to use my modern pack because I was lending it to oldest son. He bought an 1980s Coleman external frame, and was planning on lending A.L.I.C.E. to middle son. Wife found another 1980s Coleman external friend sized just right for the new Scout.

So now I have A.L.I.C.E. All to myself for 2 more years, unless youngest gets his on pack too. :)

• Upvote 1