Hello from Sioux Falls South Dakota.

Hello,new Scoutmaster checking in . I've been the Cubmaster for our Pack for the last 10 years. The SScoutmaster for our Troop is retiring and I have been asked by the other leaders and parents to take over as Scoutmaster. I have always helped out with Troop activities. But this is my first leadership role in the Troop as the old saying goes " This ain't Cubscouts". I look forward to learning and growing as a leader but a little scared at the same time.

Welcome to the forum.

If one plays their cards right, trains up the boys with boy-led leadership using the patrol method, being a SM is quite easy.  The biggest decision one will need to make is whether or not they want cream and/or sugar in their coffee.

• Upvote 1

That's my first hurdle. The Troop has never had enough boys to do the Patrol method .The Scoutmaster basically ran everything then wondered why the boys didn't know how to do something. I've crossed over 20 AOL boys only 2 are still active..... mine. It seems like once they cross over they loose interest fast when your not doing anything Scout related. I have always kept the Pack active putting the 'Outing in Scouting" I think that's why they...the parents wanted me to take over as Scoutmaster.

The new Webelos boys if given the opportunity to channel their energy can do great things right out of the box.  Don't underestimate their ability to take over and run the show.  The older boys will do well to corral their enthusiasm into constructive energy without stifling their interest in adventure.

• 2 months later...