So this is a load of my little horrors at Gilwell for the weekend, it's a mini jamboree, about 3000 people, called wintercamp. Lot of mud! Temperature currently about 4C with steady drizzle. It's been below freezing for a couple of days so we now have rock hard ground covered in about a Cm thick of slimey mud. Bit interesting under foot!

We're tweeting the weekends events on @12thcambridge and our Facebook group Facebook.com/12thCambridge

Thinking kind thoughts about my sleeping bag..:::

Even back in the real world and access to a PC I can't get photos to upload. Something about error Code 500?

Anyway, great weekend, lot of fun, lot of mud. We're having an unusually mild period for winter at the moment, mostly grey and damp.

When I have all our photos on our group website I'll post some links. There was a company came in for the weekend who organise stunts on film sets, they had the massive cushion they use for people falling from heights. Scouts got to fall on it from a quite knee trembling height....

checked out your twitter posts

looks like fun!

I especially liked the leave no trace parting shot of your campsite!

and the tanks looks like they could have been a blast.

And carnival rides too?!?

checked out your twitter posts

looks like fun!

I especially liked the leave no trace parting shot of your campsite!

and the tanks looks like they could have been a blast.

And carnival rides too?!?

Yes, they bring a couple of rides into Gilwell for major events like this. Adds a strange extra flavour to proceedings! It's not all about the rides though, there's plenty of more traditional stuff going on although you can forget any concept of camping 300 feet apart. Guy lines from tents are typically crossed with those from the troop camping next to you......

Our photos on our website here now. Includes video of the bag drop, which was awesome!

This is the photo I was trying to upload on Friday evening

And this is my favourite one of the weekend. It's what happens when you let your scouts look after your phone while you get a go on the climbing tower. Cheeky little wretches :)

31839017510_9bc7b3e22e_c.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a memorable experience for your scouts. I'm sure they will be talking about their mud-o-ree for years.

As it happens its nowhere near as bad as last year. In 2016 there was persistent rain for a couple of weeks before hand. Add that to clay soil and 3000 pairs of boots and ended up being a bit like Ypres circa 1917! Thankfully without the casualty rate.....

One of our scouts looked at your site and was SO jealous for the opportunity to drive the tracked 'tanks' (reminded me of BREN carriers)--said BSA would probably never let us do that--we would have only 1 at a time, on a set course, and with an adult riding shot gun with a kill switch or brake.