Texas ASM eats 23 Ghost Peppers for troop fundraiser

FREDERICKSBURG, Texas, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- An iron-stomached Boy Scout leader in Texas downed 23 ghost peppers in a bid to raise scholarship money for the troop.

Troop 137, based in Fredericksburg, posted a video

that opened with the troop's scoutmaster, Gayne Young, explaining that Assistant Scoutmaster Johnny was about to eat 23 ghost peppers.

Young says Johnny's attempt took place 20 hours earlier and the man was in bed with "really, really bad stomach pains" after being "sick at both ends."

"Do not try this at home," the scoutmaster says.  :blink:

More here

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/01/04/Boy-Scout-leader-downs-23-ghost-peppers-to-raise-funds-for-troop/6101483563094/

Youtube video

• Downvote 1

What a dip****.  This isn't what scouting is about at all.   Doesn't their council sell popcorn?

Edited by NJCubScouter
Word redacted by moderator; we try to maintain "family standards" here. I think people will get the idea without the whole word. - NJCubScouter, Moderator
  • Upvote 1

Capsaicin is a highly destructive toxin that affects the entire digestive system and liver that needs to try and clear it from the body. 

One has to remember that any time someone yells out, "Hey, guys, watch this!!" it is important that you do, it might be the last thing the idiot will do in this life.

Anytime the common consensus is "wear gloves, don't touch face or eyes and wash hand thoroughly after handling" might not be a good candidate to put in one's mouth.

Yeah, I too, would stick with the popcorn sales.

• Upvote 2

One has to remember that any time someone yells out, "Hey, guys, watch this!!" it is important that you do, it might be the last thing the idiot will do in this life.

Yes, I once saw that on a list of "famous last words", along with "Don't worry, the gun's not loaded."

I never heard the term "ghost pepper" until a couple of weeks ago and didn't really know what they were, but I took a guess that they were very hot. Without even knowing the chemical details as Stosh does, I stay far, far away from that stuff anyway - hot peppers, wild wings, etc. Give me the mild version - it tastes better, doesn't cause me pain, and won't land me in the hospital.

I take back many of the things I've thought and said about the requirement for Council pre-approval for fundraisers.

Does anyone have a clue as to how this was supposed to end up raising money?

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Upvote 2

I take back many of the things I've thought and said about the requirement for Council pre-approval for fundraisers.

Does anyone have a clue as to how this was supposed to end up raising money?

my guess

"Hey, I'll bet you $10 you can't do...."

I once dated a girl for whom I had "great expectations" to be literary in my image making.  We went to a Mexican restaurant. I watched her eat Habenaros like they were potato chips.....

We were "friends"  after that.

I wish I knew what it is about this species that makes us take pride in doing something like this. I've nibbled just a tiny piece of one of these things and subsequently wished bad things and had intemperate thoughts, made a few intemperate expressions of pain.

If one of the boys had followed this role model and chomped down even one of those peppers, well, in this unit I suspect the leadership would get an earful (maybe more) from some parents.

I think the age difference between these SM's and the regular forum members is showing.

Is this one more generational thing that I am not aware of?  Is eating peppers that are hot to the point of being poisonous a thing for "younger" people now?  If so, how young?  The guy in the image above looks like he's somewhere around 40.  I am in my late 50's.  At what point between those two age ranges is the border between this sort of stunt being acceptable and not?

And by the way, this ASM's younger age did not prevent him from getting sick, according to the article.

Age and maturity have less to do with it than the type and place of one's upbringing IMO. Some eat peppers with every meal. (Probably not ghost peppers however?) I've had people look at me like I'm crazy because I've munched on a habanero with lunch. Others have never tasted one, surely. Wife and I grow and enjoy different types of peppers as have my in-laws for many years. Age is irrelevant. HOW one decides to consume them is another story. I can think of far better ways to raise money than punishing myself by eating 23 ghost peppers.

Eating as many hot peppers as one can before losing it is a very common Friday-night college activity among the kind of fools who don't study hard enough and can't get a date by the weekend. Trust me, I was roommates with many of them only a few years ago, lol.

I personally like the flavor of ghost peppers, but then again half of my heritage is latino, and I am very acclimated to spices and heat in my food. I enjoy the way a good pepper can enhance the flavor palate of a meal. But there is the difference - for me, with a developed tolerance to such intensity, peppers like these add to and enhance flavor. It's not a matter of age, but eating habits, taste development, and even culture. So to my very, er, not-hispanic roommates who never eat anything hotter than the "hot sauce" at Taco Bell, it was just another dumb way to see how for they could push each other or themselves to do something stupid. And that's all that I can see from this little stunt - people throwing money (not much I imagine) at some guy just to watch his reaction. You wouldn't believe how enormous the ratings are for youtube videos of folks doing dumb things and getting reactions out of people. 

Are these people giving money to Scouting? Not as much as they are paying for the chance to see some poor fool intoxicate himself with acids in front of a camera. It's the same mindset as those who watched gladiators slaughter each other in Rome, or those who paid to see the bearded lady at the sideshow, or any other pitiful production we go to see in our desperate attempts to keep ourselves from dealing with the realities of daily life. Which, ironically enough, is exactly the kind of sorry existence the Boy Scouts of America is fighting so hard to counteract.

Edited by The Latin Scot