Different Handbooks - Different Kids??

But, that was my point, illustrated by the example I gave -- the current handbook doesn't contain all the information a Scout needs to get to First Class -- steps to perform CPR being the example. Maybe a "sample of one" as far as content is concerned, but there you go. And, it's still true that laid side-by-side, more Scouts will pick up and read the old book than the new one.

I like the CD/DVD idea, but not necessarily with every book; perhaps as an option or a supplement...

KS

What I do like about the newer handbook is the way it is laid out. What I don't like is all that was taken out! And a lot of good stuff was taken out. I keep a copy of the 10th edition for reference. It contained a lot more information than the current edition.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

My own youth was in the 1965 edition. I think the Oath and Law have better explanations in that edition than the current. To that end, sometimes I use it to explain those.

OTOH, signalling with flags in the bandwidth era is about the same as making Longaberger baskets ... an extreme niche skill.

Also OTOH, the first aid I learned is not "best technique" available. Witness salt tablets :(

The program is the program. Sure, there are improvements I want to see the National Council take ... like putting Cooking back into the Eagle Required MB list (even if it means 22MB to Eagle). That's not my call, though.

My job is to help young men approach a well-rounded manhood using the 8 methods.

John

"OTOH, signalling with flags in the bandwidth era is about the same as making Longaberger baskets ... an extreme niche skill."

What do you do when the cell towers are down? What about when you are out of range of those silly little FRS radios? The Navy still teaches flashing light and semaphore.

"Also OTOH, the first aid I learned is not "best technique" available. Witness salt tablets"

I dunno about that. I've spent too much time in hot environments and I've seen too many people keel over because they didn't take in enough salt.

In any case, you sound like Bobo Blanco. He yaps constantly about First Aid. In his mind, the old handbooks are horrible because they don't include CPR. It never occurred to him that first aid could be updated and the information about stars, tracking and history could be left in.

As a former dialysis patient I, too, do not underestimate the use of salt and fluid intake!

I have shown my copy of "Scouting for Boys" to my PLC. As Eamonn hinted, it may as well have been in Chinese. I've had Scouts who could quote from their father's Fieldbook but, never knew that cooking, camping, and First Aid were actually chapters in their Scout Handbook. "The grass is always greener..."

On a positive note I have had Scouts correct Scouters on knots, First Aid, and other minor issues because thay DID see it in their Scout Handbook!

For FOG and BobWhite: I- and all the firemen I know- would rather have some blood and oxygen going to the brain rather than die while the Red Cross changes the breathe/thrust count yet again. Do any editions of the Scout Handbook make that point?

" I- and all the firemen I know- would rather have some blood and oxygen going to the brain rather than die while the Red Cross changes the breathe/thrust count yet again."

I think that's the point that I've tried to make in the past. Bobo gets hung up on the modern technique. I learned CPR back in 1970 and I'm sure that the style that I learned is old fashioned BUT it could still save someone's life.

My wife looks for those old books at yard sales, they're fantastic.

It was the seventh edition that got me interested in scouting,just because of the enormous amount of outdoor knowledge within. The new books are nice, colorful, and somewhat informative, but I'm not sure they have the same lore that the old ones have.

I have a patrol leaders handbook from 1935 it tells how to take fresh meat backpacking. Great moral stories, and old skits that nobody has ever seen.

I'm new on here, and to the web period, and am very pleased to be able to talk to other scouters.So this is just my 2cents. Alan

green Sm and Fat Old Guy

When I took 1st aid training 3 years ago, the instructor said if you do not use the new improved method of CPR, do not even bother. If you save the person, they would probably have brain damage.

GreenSM

I do not know what the other poster has written as I choose not to read his posts, However, if you revisit mine, you will see that all I said was... had the same information on CPR been included in the new handbook it would have soon been outdated and incorrect according to current practices. By emphasizing the need to know CPR and encouraging the scouts to seek certified and knowledgeable instructors the BSA has helped to reflect current methods and insure the abilities of its members.

I made no quality comparison to the past or current methods, other than one is current and one is not.

Please do not link my statement to anything another person may have written or inferred regarding the quality of either method.

As for what a picture is worth... in my son's scoutbook, the lashing picture shows the impossible, there is no hitch to hold the lashing together on the shear lashing picture.

If it is true that the book is designed for mostly up to first class, then we are cheating the kids and this will cause me to come up with another reason for emphasizing the book. I used to tell the scouts that this is the book with all the info to become an eagle scout.

Infact, I would not only add back in the pages, but would include the PL book section also to serve as a goal/reminder to all scouts the responsibilities of a PL.

HMMMMM

Maybe it's time you get your son a current Boy Scout Handbook jbroganjr.

On page 142 he will find two illustrations of the Shear lash, each with two clove hitches.

On page 22 he will find a description of the Patrol Leaders position and responsibilities.

No book gets a scout to Eagle.

Cheating the kids would be to have them read the Scout handbook and then the adult unit leaders not keeping the promises made to them by scouting.

It is unfortunate your son has not had the benefit of a current handbook to use.

"hen I took 1st aid training 3 years ago, the instructor said if you do not use the new improved method of CPR, do not even bother. If you save the person, they would probably have brain damage."

I feel sorry for all the people that were saved using the old method. I'll check on that with our resident CPR instructor who is also an ER doctor.