Thinking of the Inauguration?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee, I didn't know 6:30 am on January 1st even existed......

6:30 am on January 1st? My dogs bladder keeps me motivated to get out of bed! 

It might help @@Tampa Turtle if you didn't let your dog over-indulge on New Year's Eve, those beers can be a real bladder killer.

The OA lodge for Washington DC has traditionally helped out with inaugurations. But as far as I know we have not yet been asked. A number of scouts and scouters have planned to take time off to be there. But right now we are in a holding pattern.

You are awake at 6:30am on January first? "Thou art a better man than I am Gunga Din."

I feel for the scouts they were quite exited at the prospect of helping at a national event. Of course the fancy patches that the older scouts proudly wear from the '09 election may have something to do wirh it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no word.  looks like I better plan a hike on the A trail instead.

Nothing beyond the Eagle Scouts requested.  Our chief from the north was chosen to march though.

I would have really liked to do some service, as would so many of our other chapter mates, but, it looks like it is Klondike Derby for us that weekend.  Maybe in 4 years. 

Okay,  I'll bite

1) Mrs. Trump has been a US citizen for only 10 years.  I will cut her a little slack in the US Flag Code for civilians.  Is the First Lady a "civilian"?    I dunno.  Probably.   I'm not going to judge. When in doubt, stand at attention.  Which she is doing.

2) President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of all US military.  Military salute is in order.  Civilian FLAG CODE does not apply to non-civilians.  By the way, what uniform does the Commander-in-Chief wear?  From what I can tell, it's always been a suit, shirt and tie, unless they are playing golf.

3) Solider in full uniform does a military salute.  Okay, I can see that.

4) VP Pence does a civilian salute, he is not military unless something happens to the president.  The original US Flag Code adopted in 1923 said all male civilians without hats were to simply stand at attention and only women and children were to salute with their hand over their heart.  If a man did have a hat on he was to take it off and hold it in his hand which was over his heart.  UNLESS IT WAS RAINING,  Then he was to remove his hat and hold it over his head to keep the rain off.

5) Mrs. Pence does a civilian salute.  No problem.

Of course if President Trump saluting, it is now an appropriate practice that all military, active and veteran can salute the flag while in civilian clothing.  I do believe President Trump as Commander-in-Chief is active military in civilian clothing.

Seriously, I didn't really see anything being done by any of the 5 people as being disrespectful which the US Flag Code for civilians addresses.  That's why the posting confused me.

And I'll take to task any scouter in the BSA that is not in full uniform and salutes with a hand salute is showing more disrespect than any of these 5 people.  When a scout/scsouter is out of uniform, the civilian, hand-over-the-heart, is the proper salute.

He who is without sin can cast the first stone.

Edited by Stosh