Fighting Anti-Muslim Bigotry?

No, the way to stop religious bigotry is to have a troop of scouts, not a troop of mostly Christian troop (as well as Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, etc.  I'm the last person in the world that will champion political correctness, but when we quit pointing out our religious differences then that will stop religious bigotry.

I have in my extended family all kids of different people of different races, national origin, sexes, religious beliefs, ages, mental states, physical and mental challenges, but they are all family.  I guess if I was talking about Pat, I might distinguish between Pat my nephew and Pat my granddaughter.  Otherwise, just names are fine.

There is no discrepancy in our approaches. 

Edit: We have to acknowledge some religious differences because of, for example, dietary restrictions among the various religions. I don't see how you get around that if you have a religiously diverse troop. On the other hand, we treat it no differently than, for example, dietary restrictions from allergies. We can't just pretend these differences don't exist while accommodating them at the same time.

Edited by Ankylus

I have a vegetarian boy in my troop.  I have no idea what his religious affiliation is.  I have a boy that doesn't like hotdogs, I have no idea what his religious affiliation is.  I have a boy that doesn't eat peanuts or peanut butter.  I  have no idea if he's allergic to peanuts or just doesn't like peanuts.  I don't know his religious affiliation either. 

Truth be told, I have a boy that likes rice and so even though he doesn't look it, I'm thinking he's Chinese.  I have another scout who looks Oriental, but he has a German shepherd for a pet dog.

A friend of mine was born in Kenya to missionaries.  He has blond hair and blue eyes, but I'm thinking he's really African-American.  Not sure, he likes rice too.

• Upvote 1

I  have no idea if he's allergic to peanuts or just doesn't like peanuts.  I don't know his religious affiliation either.

That's too bad, because if he has a peanut allergy it could kill him. You need to know that so you can help him be vigilant and be prepared should he make a mistake and consume peanuts. Happened to a scout from our troop at Philmont. He survived, but it was a close thing. 

That's too bad, because if he has a peanut allergy it could kill him. You need to know that so you can help him be vigilant and be prepared should he make a mistake and consume peanuts. Happened to a scout from our troop at Philmont. He survived, but it was a close thing. 

All medical forms are scrutinized for medical issues and if the scout has a peanut allergy it would show up on the form.  However, if the boy doesn't eat peanuts because he doesn't like peanuts, that is not a medical issue, might be a religious issue, or simply he just doesn't like peanuts all of which will not show up on his medical form.

If dietary issues are not on a medical form, the abstinence of such food items could be religious or personal taste preference.  I don't know and it makes no never mind.  If Johnny isn't going to eat hotdogs on a campout, that's fine with me.  I don't eat hotdogs either, and I'm not a vegetarian and I have no religious issues with them, and I'm not allergic to them,  I just don't like them.