weird patrol names

Oldscout:   If everyone is dressed the same (uniform), they have succeeded in blending in to the background! 

Unless they are still wearing the red shoulder loops, then they stand out like a flashing beacon.  Or so some people seem to think. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Scouts love the red berets, we use them for the color guard. 

HEY!  What's weird about Narwhals?  Just because they're marine mammals?  

Best so far: the Hey Chris patrol. They never came up with a patch or yell, but that wasn't the point.   At the time, it was both SPL and ASPL's first name. Thus regardless of who was presiding at r

• 2 weeks later...

I have a troop nearby who still wears the red berets from the '70s.  .  The scouts refused to give them up.

That was the official headgear when I was a youth. And how I hated them...the most useless piece of headwear yet devised.  I wouldn't join that troop for that very reason.

so my son tells me the other day that his patrol wants to change their name to "Illuminati".... I'm scratching my head on that one.... where are they getting this stuff from???

Currently they are "Cyber Ducks" but that was not by consensus and the scout pushing that one dropped out.

Hmmm, I have a garrison cap, a beret, an expedition hat and a campaign hat.  I hate baseball caps, they are as useless as the garrison and beret styles. My expedition hat has both Philmont brands on the brim as well as the Centennial Jamboree brand.  It has been worn at least once a week since I bought it in 1993...... that's now just under 25 years.....

so my son tells me the other day that his patrol wants to change their name to "Illuminati".... I'm scratching my head on that one.... where are they getting this stuff from???

Currently they are "Cyber Ducks" but that was not by consensus and the scout pushing that one dropped out.

They got it from The Davinci Code.

The red berets provoke a wide variety of reactions.  I remember that during my time as a Boy Scout, the red beret was introduced as an option, along with the campaign hat and the baseball cap.  (I don't remember whether you could still choose the garrison cap, which had been the only option up to that time.)  Our troop voted for the campaign hat, but within a few years, voted to switch to the baseball cap.  And yet other troops did go for the red beret.  I have seen a couple that still do, even though some effort is involved in obtaining them, since the BSA no longer sells them.