weird patrol names

some of the scouts asked me what the oddest patrol name I had encountered was.  I thought for a minute and said it was a tie between " The Flying Purple Feathered Bananas" and the " Vermicious Knids"  

So what's the weirdest / most creative patrol name you have run into?

Oldscout

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Scouts love the red berets, we use them for the color guard. 

HEY!  What's weird about Narwhals?  Just because they're marine mammals?  

Best so far: the Hey Chris patrol. They never came up with a patch or yell, but that wasn't the point.   At the time, it was both SPL and ASPL's first name. Thus regardless of who was presiding at r

Best so far: the Hey Chris patrol. They never came up with a patch or yell, but that wasn't the point.

At the time, it was both SPL and ASPL's first name. Thus regardless of who was presiding at roll call, the PL could sound off, "Hey Chris, All present or accounted for."

• Upvote 1

One I thought was quite clever back in the 80's was the "generic patrol". This was before grocery stores had their store brands, there were white boxes with black lettering that said, "macaroni" or whatever. The patrol used a blank white patch.

• Upvote 1

Patrol had hard time agreeing on a name.  They would declare a name, then change it.  After this happened several times, the new name would be announced + "at the moment."  After a year of this, they settled on the ATM Patrol [at the moment] for the next four years.

Flaming Ice Cubes.

Meat Ball  (patrol flag =  brown kick ball on a staff)  Patrol Leader known as "Pasta Leader"

Bar Code

The Chairs.  During a patrol meeting, an ASM entered and chastised a scout or scouts for rocking back in a standard chair.   Explained the legs will break, the scout could fall over and hurt themselves, etc.  The patrol took it as a personal affront and renamed their patrol The Chairs as a snub back at the ASM.  The patrol and the ASM knew the story but no one else in the troop knew or cared the about the backstory.  My son was in the patrol so I learned the backstory.  

Troop had a loose tradition of renaming patrols about once a year so no great questions about a name change. 

Fleagles. Originally the Flying Eagles, but one of them shortened it to Fleagles, and it stuck.

Wasn't Fleagle in The Banana Splits?

Oooh, my memory, I'm sure we had silly patrol names on summer camp, but I can't remember a single one. I mean, apart from when we had flags for the best patrol and worst patrol, the best had a crown on, and the worst a pair of Y fronts. I think one patrol got it several days in a row and just renamed themselves the pants patrol. Losing something in translation but I couldn't ruin the alliteration.

One I thought was quite clever back in the 80's was the "generic patrol". This was before grocery stores had their store brands, there were white boxes with black lettering that said, "macaroni" or whatever. The patrol used a blank white patch.

If that was my patrol (~1985-1987) SCCC, we had a UPC barcode drawn with a sharpie on the blank batch.  Flag was also plain white with a UPC barcode drawn on.

Edited by gumbymaster

Scout leader basic training, '85:  Ferocious Ferrets.   Not the weirdest name in history, but the patrol yell was a high-pitched ree-ree sound that went on for at least ten seconds.  Not in sync by any means, but definitely frantic, loud and rabid.    Lots of laughter and strange glances from bystanders.