Scouting ties in the Trump Administration

Look for new bumper sticker:

"" Support the Parmesan Initiative:   Make America Grate Again ""

A "new" bumper sticker? Wasn't the campaign last year? Though maybe it is still going on; after all, there are still campaign rallies going on. Or maybe that's the next campaign. It's getting difficult to tell.

Oh, by the way: Ha ha.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

I don't understand why you think it is ironic.

Maybe the Eagle Scouts in Trump's administration should take him camping. Get the President out in the woods, away from the TV and Twitter.  Have a nice campfire with lots of coffee and dutch oven m

In a 68-31 vote, the Senate confirmed Ryan Zinke as the next Secretary of the Interior.

A former boy scout turned Navy SEAL in the Iraq dessert, Zinke grew up 30 minutes outside of Glacier National Park in Montana, an experience he cites as the impetus for his interest and dedication to environmental stewardship. He has promised to “restore trust†in the department and address the $12-billion maintenance backlog in America’s national parks from Alaska to the beaches of Maine.

Republicans hope Zinke will also usher in a “culture of change†to the Interior by repealing many of the Obama administration’s land management policies seen to favor environmentalists over local interests.

http://glacierhub.org/2017/03/01/zinke-trumps-pick-for-interior-talks-glacier-retreat/

In a 68-31 vote, the Senate confirmed Ryan Zinke as the next Secretary of the Interior.

Let's hope he doesn't give in to pressure from within his party to dump public lands. So far he seems to favor protecting public land. Finger crossed that he keeps with that stance... 

In an email today to DOI employees, Zinke had the following statement:

"I approach this job in the same way that Boy Scouts taught me so long ago: leave the campsite in better condition than I found it."

Well, given his current job and the issue of public lands, one can only hope that his Scouting experience ended before the councils started selling off their camps...

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

President Donald Trump’s nominee for Ambassador to Japan, Bill Hagerty, is an Eagle Scout.

... told those at the Friends of Scouting 2017 Williamson County Good Scout Event that being Senior Patrol Leader of his scout troop in Gallatin 40 years ago helped develop his confidence as a leader.

Hagerty, 57, co-founder of Hagerty Peterson & Company, a private equity investment firm, and Eagle Scout, who served as Tennessee Commissioner of Economic Development from 2011-2014 and on the Trump transition, spoke At Embassy Suites Hotel Cool Springs about how the skills he learned in The Boy Scouts of America helped him in his life and business career.

“I think the two points I made that Scouts teaches you leadership and confidence,†Hagerty said referencing his speech. “The leadership skills are all learned through the patrol method in Scouting.â€

The patrol method, which breaks the scouts in to smaller groups that work together within the troop with its own leadership structure, helped Hagerty have the confidence get his first job at 14 and was named senior patrol leader in his Gallatin, Tenn., Troop at 17 which went to the BSA National Jamboree in Washington D.C.

“I think it’s the recognition of the investment that adult leaders placed in me as a boy,†said Hagerty who now works with his son’s troop. “It’s taken a lifetime to translate but I hope that the leadership abilities that I learned in Scouting as a boy will continue to guide me as I move on to Japan and try to represent our nation there to the best of my ability.â€

“I didn’t think about it at the time, but as I look back on it was because I understood how to be a leader, how to listen, how to organize my thoughts, how to set goals and how to execute them,†he said.

https://springhillhomepage.com/new-ambassador-to-japan-traces-leadership-skills-to-scouting/

• Upvote 1

President Donald Trump’s nominee for Ambassador to Japan, Bill Hagerty, is an Eagle Scout.

... told those at the Friends of Scouting 2017 Williamson County Good Scout Event that being Senior Patrol Leader of his scout troop in Gallatin 40 years ago helped develop his confidence as a leader.

Hagerty, 57, co-founder of Hagerty Peterson & Company, a private equity investment firm, and Eagle Scout, who served as Tennessee Commissioner of Economic Development from 2011-2014 and on the Trump transition, spoke At Embassy Suites Hotel Cool Springs about how the skills he learned in The Boy Scouts of America helped him in his life and business career.

“I think the two points I made that Scouts teaches you leadership and confidence,†Hagerty said referencing his speech. “The leadership skills are all learned through the patrol method in Scouting.â€

The patrol method, which breaks the scouts in to smaller groups that work together within the troop with its own leadership structure, helped Hagerty have the confidence get his first job at 14 and was named senior patrol leader in his Gallatin, Tenn., Troop at 17 which went to the BSA National Jamboree in Washington D.C.

“I think it’s the recognition of the investment that adult leaders placed in me as a boy,†said Hagerty who now works with his son’s troop. “It’s taken a lifetime to translate but I hope that the leadership abilities that I learned in Scouting as a boy will continue to guide me as I move on to Japan and try to represent our nation there to the best of my ability.â€

“I didn’t think about it at the time, but as I look back on it was because I understood how to be a leader, how to listen, how to organize my thoughts, how to set goals and how to execute them,†he said.

https://springhillhomepage.com/new-ambassador-to-japan-traces-leadership-skills-to-scouting/

Update: 4/24/17:

Mr. Hagerty received the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award from the Middle Tennessee Council of the Boy Scouts of America. He is still awaiting Senate confirmation of his nomination of Ambassador to Japan.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/04/24/bill-hagerty-named-distinguished-eagle-scout-franklin-ceremony/100836538/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Rex Tillerson was fired before dawn this morning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/us/politics/trump-tillerson-pompeo.html

"Foreign diplomats — starting with the British and the French — said Mr. Tillerson neither returned phone calls nor, with much advance warning, set up meetings with his counterparts. Strategic dialogues with many nations, including nuclear weapons powers like Pakistan, were ended without explanation."

2 hours ago, hiker67 said:

Rex Tillerson was fired before dawn this morning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/us/politics/trump-tillerson-pompeo.html

"Foreign diplomats — starting with the British and the French — said Mr. Tillerson neither returned phone calls nor, with much advance warning, set up meetings with his counterparts. Strategic dialogues with many nations, including nuclear weapons powers like Pakistan, were ended without explanation."

I do not know why Rex Tillerson did not return phone calls or abruptly ended dialogues with other nations.  But I think that if I had been him, I might be hesitant to say anything to diplomats from foreign nations, because I knew there was a high probability that whatever I said, the president I was working for would make a tweet, or an offhand remark at a campaign rally, that completely contradicted what I had just said.  I mean, a few months ago, when Tillerson suggested we should talk to the North Koreans, the president publicly undercut and ridiculed him, and said he was wasting his time.  Now the president says he will talk with the North Koreans.  (And then his aides suggest that he won't, so who knows.)

Apart from any other opinions I have about this president, I just don't see how anyone works for this guy.  (Well, actually, they don't, for very long.  I guess that's the point.)

I do not think that Rex Tillerson was necessarily the greatest Secretary of State in our nation's history, but we will never really know what he could have accomplished, because he was not permitted to do his job.  I doubt the next guy will either, or the guy after that, or the guy after that.

• Like 1

What to tell our scouts?

When teaching citizenship, we often watch Mr Smith Goes to Washington with its positive message of participating and fighting for our principles. But  today, if there was a sequel would the message be reversed, Mr. Tillerson Expelled from Washington?

Will our scouts become more cynical of government service with the firing of Mr. Tillerson? I hope Mr. Tillerson speaks to American youth this week about government service, particularly under adverse circumstances.  Maybe he will come back to the BSA?

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

What to tell our scouts?

When teaching citizenship, we often watch Mr Smith Goes to Washington with its positive message of participating and fighting for our principles. But  today, if there was a sequel would the message be reversed, Mr. Tillerson Expelled from Washington?

Will our scouts become more cynical of government service with the firing of Mr. Tillerson? I hope Mr. Tillerson speaks to American youth this week about government service, particularly under adverse circumstances.  Maybe he will come back to the BSA?

The scouts understand better than anybody that not everybody is cut out to be the SPL. The troop is real life scaled down to a boys size.

Barry