Scouting ties in the Trump Administration

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

I don't understand why you think it is ironic.

Maybe the Eagle Scouts in Trump's administration should take him camping. Get the President out in the woods, away from the TV and Twitter.  Have a nice campfire with lots of coffee and dutch oven m

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

So, what are you saying that is actually relevant to the post? That people who accepted draft deferments cannot be good boy scouts? Or that he wouldn't have been a good boy scout as evidenced by the fact that he accepted draft deferments? What's the connection to scouting in your post? 

So, what are you saying that is actually relevant to the post? That people who accepted draft deferments cannot be good boy scouts? Or that he wouldn't have been a good boy scout as evidenced by the fact that he accepted draft deferments? What's the connection to scouting in your post? 

I was replying to the poster that claimed that Trump would have been a good Scout solely because he went to a military school.  The draft deferments don't have anything to do with Scouting, but they don't fit in with someone that would subscribe to the values taught at a military school.  I also mentioned that Trump also berated Senator John McCain for being a  prisoner of war.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/jul/19/donald-trump-john-mccain-not-a-war-hero-video

I would think that a Scout wouldn't have such an attitude as Trump's or, if he did, he wouldn't express it publicly for political purposes.

Not true.  I did not claim that Donald Trump would have been a good scout solely because he went to a military school.

In my post, I also mentioned his playing sports and working at his father's construction company.  I did not single out his military school education.

You can focus on his military school education, if you want, but that is not responding to what I said in my post.  Not really.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

Not true.  I did not claim that Donald Trump would have been a good scout solely because he went to a military school.  

Lots of kids play sports and have summer jobs (if not year-round jobs), but the military school is uncommon.

If you listen carefully, you will see Mr. Trump berates anyone who does not agree with him or who he is jealous of.  

That is obviously true but, on the other hand, POWs aren't just anyone.  That behavior doesn't seem Scout-like.

• Upvote 1

Gee  During the Vietnam War:

1) I carried a Student Deferment

2) I carried a Conscientious Objector Deferment

3) I carried a Seminary Religious Deferment

4) I carried a 4-F Medical Deferment

5) I tried to enlist as a chaplain in the Navy and was rejected

I guess that puts me in the Draft Dodger category...... :eek:

• Upvote 1

"""Trump also berated Senator John McCain for being a  prisoner of war."""

If you listen carefully, you will see Mr. Trump berates anyone who does not agree with him or who he is jealous of.  

That makes him the Washington Post.

• 2 weeks later...