Scouting ties in the Trump Administration

ahh, now there's some real ideas as to how the government and BSA might work together.  I was hoping for some of those.

Any other ideas as to how the administration might help the BSA, or visa versa?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

I don't understand why you think it is ironic.

Maybe the Eagle Scouts in Trump's administration should take him camping. Get the President out in the woods, away from the TV and Twitter.  Have a nice campfire with lots of coffee and dutch oven m

I remember reading somewhere that Badon Powell's vision for scouting was world peace. I can't remember where I read that, but it has always stuck in my mind as the perfect world vision for scouting. 

Barry

I know he talked quite a bit about "Peace Scouting."

I'm personally glad to see the Scouting 'presence' in the cabinet, but not all that surprised. My only observation after the grotesque spectacle of the campaign, and especially the things Trump said regarding women, he would find opposition to a leadership position in this unit. And if by some means he managed to attain such position anyway, I'd advise the women to consider wearing cups.

“Once again I send sincerest Christmas greetings to the Boy Scouts of America; bespeaking also the appreciation of the nation for the contribution which Scouts and scouting make to our national strength and morale by helping to keep alive the manly virtues of truthfulness, loyalty, courage and helpfulness. Now, as always, the nation needs to keep themselves physically fit, mentally alert and morally straight.â€

When? Whom?

“Once again I send sincerest Christmas greetings to the Boy Scouts of America; bespeaking also the appreciation of the nation for the contribution which Scouts and scouting make to our national strength and morale by helping to keep alive the manly virtues of truthfulness, loyalty, courage and helpfulness. Now, as always, the nation needs to keep themselves physically fit, mentally alert and morally straight.â€

When? Whom?

There's a hint there of a statement made during wartime, and it sounds like how FDR spoke, so I am guessing him, sometime during WW2.

• Upvote 1

Yes around Dec 25, 1941 by FDR. Pearl Harbor had been attacked weeks before; the west coast was preparing for a second wave. Our nation at war, a dark and fearful time, and yet our Commander-in-Chief took time to recognize and thank the Boy Scouts for their valued service to the Nation.

Yes around Dec 25, 1941 by FDR. Pearl Harbor had been attacked weeks before; the west coast was preparing for a second wave. Our nation at war, a dark and fearful time, and yet our Commander-in-Chief took time to recognize and thank the Boy Scouts for their valued service to the Nation.

Thank you for posting that. One of the Boy Scouts on that date was my father, at the age of 15.

Edited by NJCubScouter

My Godfather was a Marine on Wake Island at the beginning of the war and spent 4 years in a Japanese prison camp.  After the war he joined the Army and fought all the way through Korea.

He Eagled in 1936.  His love for the outdoors was his greatest gift to me.

He never talked about any of that.  I read it in his obituary a few years back.  Never knew I spent so many evenings around the campfire with a man like him.

I had an uncle that I spent a lot of time around a campfire with, too.  He was a scouter.  He also served in the Navy on board a PT boat.  His captain was John F. Kennedy.  That, too, I found out about when his obituary came out.

I really need to improve my campfire conversation skills.  I really seem to be missing a lot.  :)

'Did Gates Sleep in a Tent'. Yes.

One of our former ASM's (who also was a General working for the Joint Chiefs) was in the same Troop as Gates and said they did normal camping and everything except there was always a couple of 'war wagons' of security nearby and a helicopter in the area on standby. Said Gates was a real good ASM. 

My friend said he had to leave a trip once because of his 'job' and observing the helicopter departure was a highlight for many of the boys.

Given recent events, I wonder if Putin will extend an invitation to Tillerson for "some of his scouts" to visit the Kremlin? Say akin to Nixon's ping-pong diplomacy with China back when.

Another $0.02

I think this is a great idea.

More than ever, this old world is in need of diplomacy.   And the values that scouting represents.

• 2 weeks later...

and DJT went to a military themed high school, not a military school.  USMA, USNA, USAFA, USCGA, USMMA are military schools.  I would even grant VMI, Citadel, Norwich.  Current or former commissioned military officers on staff and who develop  and execute/supervise the educational and training curriculum.  As an Academy graduate I hardly consider DJT's experience remotely comparable.

• Upvote 1