Underneath we are all the same

Gentle Scouters:  I found this on the wall of the Counseling Office in a school I subbed at, and did some research to find the source (no one in the office knew. It was just a poster).   This is credited to =  Amy Maddox, age 16, Franklin Community High School, Bargerville IN =

It  seems she was 16 about 15 years ago .

“Underneath,  We’re All the Sameâ€

“He prayed  --  It wasn’t my religion.
He ate --  It wasn’t what I ate.
He spoke --  It wasn’t my language.
He dressed --  It wasn’t what I wore.
He took my hand --  It wasn’t the color of mine.
But when he laughed  --  it was how I laughed,
  And when he cried  --  it was how I cried.â€

• Upvote 1

Gentle Scouters:  I found this on the wall of the Counseling Office in a school I subbed at, and did some research to find the source (no one in the office knew. It was just a poster).   This is credited to =  Amy Maddox, age 16, Franklin Community High School, Bargerville IN =

It  seems she was 16 about 15 years ago .

“Underneath,  We’re All the Sameâ€

“He prayed  --  It wasn’t my religion.

He ate --  It wasn’t what I ate.

He spoke --  It wasn’t my language.

He dressed --  It wasn’t what I wore.

He took my hand --  It wasn’t the color of mine.

But when he laughed  --  it was how I laughed,

And when he cried  --  it was how I cried.â€

Thank you. I couldn't agree more with all of that. I shall be blatantly thieving that for use with my troop.

David CO: 

""“If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?".

- (Merchant of Venice, Act III, scene I).â€""

It's a very nice sentiment.

I knew someone was going to disagree with it, though. (I did not have anyone specific in mind.)

Well, at the DNA level...

Actually, I was watching QI the other day (esoteric UK "quiz"/comedy panel show), and they were talking about some rule of averages, or the rule of normal, or some other name that I've forgotten (fat lot of good that did then!). In australia the office of statistics worked out the "average Australian" from their stats, and discovered there wasn't a single australian that was their definition of average.

So really, when you look at it, we do have commonality at some level with everyone, but we are all different.

To quote The Life of Brian

Brian: "You're all individuals!"

[Lone voice]"I'm not"

Ian

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is at all true that people laugh and cry in the same way or at the same things.

Ian's quote of Monty Python provides me with a good example.  I don't find MP the slightest bit funny.  My cousin, however, finds them hilarious and quotes them often.

So much so, I can usually recognize the quotes, even though I never watch the TV shows or movies.

Edited by David CO

I don't think it is at all true that people laugh and cry in the same way or at the same things.

Ian's quote of Monty Python provides me with a good example.  I don't find MP the slightest bit funny.  My cousin, however, finds them hilarious and quotes them often.

So much so, I can usually recognize the quotes, even though I never watch the TV shows or movies.

Isn't that exactly the point of the original passage though?

You and Ian may laugh and cry at different things, but ultimately you both have times when you feel joy, you both have times when you feel sadness and distress. Different cultures mean people do that in reaction to different things, but all people do it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Well, I hope you never run in to the guy with the Cat Detector Van from the Ministry of Housinge. [someone will get this...I hope.]

Well, at the DNA level...

Actually, I was watching QI the other day (esoteric UK "quiz"/comedy panel show), and they were talking about some rule of averages, or the rule of normal, or some other name that I've forgotten (fat lot of good that did then!). In australia the office of statistics worked out the "average Australian" from their stats, and discovered there wasn't a single australian that was their definition of average.

So really, when you look at it, we do have commonality at some level with everyone, but we are all different.

National Geographic had a great special on the human genome and how we as a species spread all over the globe. It was part of their project to map the human genome and how we moved around the world. The special was called the Human Family Tree. It was pretty interesting to see color and race stereotypes blasted away when a black man had more in common with a white Norwegian man than he did with his alleged African ancestors. Or the white guy who thought he was European and turned out he was more Hispanic than white European.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • 1 month later...