National Scouting Museum moving to Philmont

Museums aren't nearly as fun as scouters. When I was passing through TX last spring, I opted to for barbecue with someone on this forum instead. Even the side of chili was spicier than any scout exhibit I've ever seen, but the conversation was truly a priceless gem.

The ranch is the one place where you'll have the highest concentration of scouters from everywhere ... More gems on the floor of the exhibit hall!

Absolutely any museum worth its salt should share/rotate exhibits.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm. An interesting proposition? I think Family Life is still essential for any boy, but I do think Scouting Heritage needs to be required, especially with all the new kids that will be coming in. The

Do we need to tell our story (l'histoire) to ourselves or to others?     Bill has once recognized, but has been forgotten by an organization never much interested in its actual history.  (Recall nt

The group said Monday that it will move its National Scouting Museum, (from Irving) which opened in 2002, to the Philmont Scout Ranchnear the town of Cimarron in northern New Mexico. Philmont has serv

Going to Nathan L. Dauby Scout Museum today for quarterly rotation of exhibits.

We should start getting the Bill exhibit ready for its next appearance.  :D  "Scoutmaster to the World"

With all due respect, Bill deserves a permanent exhibit. ;)

• Upvote 1

I only ever met the man as a youth at a BL exhibit. He was stuck there signing autographs. Looked like he would rather have been moving around. :p

• Upvote 1

We have 20 display cases.  When we get a major donation, we do a display on the donor and like to leave it up so the family and friends can see it.  Like the guy who just gave $100,000 to Council to rehab a 54-occupant troop cabin to be permanently named the "William Hillcourt -- Scoutmaster to the World -- Cabin."  I think Bill would understand the display cases devoted to John Guerra and the other deceased Scouters.  He was one of them - a "Red Jacket" Scouter.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see it in the Boyce Building in Chicago, along with a Lone Scout museum.  I believe the Boyce building is privately owned, so acquiring the property would probably be cost prohibitive.

There is a museum in Ottawa, Illinois.  I don't know if they would be capable of expanding to include a larger collection.

The idea of a traveling exhibit might be best.

Philmont is probably the worst location I can think of, so it would naturally appeal to BSA executives.

Edited by David CO

I am sure the fact that they already own Philmont had a lot to do with it.

Of course it did.

A good campground needs to be in a more remote area, off the beaten path, not near airports and six-lane highways. A good museum must be more easily accessible. Campgrounds and museums just don't mix.

Edited by David CO

it won't be a museum as much as it will be a storehouse of scouting paraphernalia,  I really don't think BSA is seriously into the museum business or they would have put more thought into this unfortunate decision.

• Upvote 1

.... I really don't think BSA is seriously into the museum business ...

LOL ... Most museums are about survival, not profit.  BSA is a niche museum at best.  

Philmont is an understandable choice.  You have a guaranteed visitor base from all over the nation with all the high adventure scouts.  I don't understand though why not the Summit too?  Or, multiple locations.

The new museum will be busy.  At least from June to August.   Lots of trekkers and training center folks strolling thru, looking to fill a couple hours before dinner or before they catch their bus to the train station for the trip home.

And the gift shop will be fully stocked with all sorts of items that folks will want to buy.

I know it's Wiki, but they state that about 23,000 scouts and scouters will be at Philmont for a trek during a year.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philmont_Scout_Ranch

Add a couple thousand more for the Philmont Training Center (I didn't look for a number for PTC) and now you've got an audience.

The rest of the year, I envision reduced staffing at the museum but they'll be open nonetheless.   In the fall, you'll have the autumn adventure folks, and then the winter camps.  Not big numbers there, but I'm sure it will be on par or near it compared to the numbers that visit Irving now (high-dollar real estate).

"We wanted the National Scouting Museum to be something very special," says Anderson Chandler, National Executive Board member and chair of the Properties Committee, "and it is. It is an educational experience that reaches beyond cases and collections to show us the glory of our past, and the bright promise of our future. This is not a tribute to days gone by, but a bold, exciting testament to the volunteers, members, and supporters who have built an entire movement around the Scout Oath and the 12 points of the Scout Law."

Excluding Bill, of course.  50,000 square feet, but no room for him.

Excluding Bill, of course.  50,000 square feet, but no room for him.

Very true.  Those idealistic young execs in the '70s who were true believers in the Improved Scouting Program apparently haven't gotten over the fact that the ISP failed.   Though they are retired or in senior positions now, they still won't forgive Bill for saving the BSA.