Playing Catch Up

I am having some issues moving forward with lack of participation from families that don't want to or can't bring their kids to den meetings.

After February, we will have one Webelos, One Bear, and 6 Wolves (we have Tigers and lions but the problem does not lie there) Past leadership has awarded rank badges in May, regardless of whether or not requirements were met. These leaders are now gone, and I am trying to build up a program that was not working. We have had great success and recruitment (from Wolves/Tigers/Lions) after I have taken the helm, but are struggling with our older boys.

This year we combined the 6 Wolves and 1 Bear into a Den, and built the meetings so they can both work on requirements that are similar together. Problem is, the Bear does not show up to most of the den meetings, and all the work put in to have him finish his requirements. 

I have a Wolf and a Lion, I am the Cubmaster, I wear a lot of hats, etc... I have involved parents, a great (but small) Committee, so things are looking bright. But I just can't do another year with having to run a Webelos, Bear, Tiger den as well as deal with recruitment, Pack Meetings etc.

Do I just say  to the older boy parents "Hey, you guys need to figure this out yourself, because I can't do it all" We may be a small pack, but we are very active. They expect their boys to advance and get their rank, even though requirements are not met, because thats what was happening for so long. There was not oversight. I can't let that happen.

Thoughts?

In reality you don't have a Webelos and a bear den. If anything they should pair up and work together and it should be one of their parents running the den. Dont do everything or you will burn yourself out.

In reality you don't have a Webelos and a bear den. If anything they should pair up and work together and it should be one of their parents running the den. Dont do everything or you will burn yourself out.

Right thats why I need to step back from it. They tried this once before with the Webelos dad running that den, didn't go very well. But that may be my only option

1. If you are burnt out, everybody loses. Encourage someone to step up as DL

2. If boys are awarded without even trying, everybody loses. Trust your first instincts and set things right.

Parents who complain about #2, direct them to #1. Remind them that what you had before may be why your membership is what it is.

• Upvote 1

Where is your local Troop?  As a Webelos, he can attend Troop activities and meetings, and with a concerned mentor/Troop Guide, complete his Webelos/Arrow of Light requirements there (or just turn 11 and switch shirts).  Harder to do if he's the older brother of one of the wolves/Tigers, or your local Troop does nothing but Merit Badge work.

Where is your local Troop?  As a Webelos, he can attend Troop activities and meetings, and with a concerned mentor/Troop Guide, complete his Webelos/Arrow of Light requirements there (or just turn 11 and switch shirts).  Harder to do if he's the older brother of one of the wolves/Tigers, or your local Troop does nothing but Merit Badge work.

We have a decent relationship with them. I will bring that up as a possibility. His older brother will be in the troop in February.