How big is your committee/troop?

I just thought it might be interesting to get a feel for what might be average ratios

scouts:scout masters:committee

22 scouts

1 SM

4 ASM

13 committee (not counting the CO rep)

approx 4 of us are very active, 2 or maybe 3 others are moderately active - so the functioning active committee is really more like 7....  although there are still some multi-role hats being worn, without some positions being formally and actively filled

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really don't understand the point of having so many adults as committee members.  The ratio of ASMs to youth is one thing, but 13 committee members???   Enough adults to spread out the work and get

Our CCs understood our program very well, which is why they were selected.   And typically committees were about 50/50 male female.   The thing I learned about moms in general is that you can sell

I'm guessing because I don't hold the troop's roster and the numbers have been fluctuating:

35 scouts

2 ASM (plus this Crew advisor who wanders in on random occasions ;) )

3 ASM emeritus

1 SM

6 Committee members, as many more parents who will pitch in when asked.

1 Elusive CO rep

4 Venturers, who, although not Unit Scouter Reserve or ASM, would pitch in in a heartbeat if needed and time allowed.

What a good question! (We need to clear our some deadwood!)

54 Scouts (40ish active)

1 SPL

2 ASPL

7 PL

1 SM

8 ASM (active +4-6 past ASM good for one event a year)

2 ASM(jg) (Past Eagles who are 18 who make occasional appearence)

9 Committee (active + 9 on paper not sure why)

14 Parents w YPT, MBC, occasional campouts, drivers

I really don't understand the point of having so many adults as committee members.  The ratio of ASMs to youth is one thing, but 13 committee members???   Enough adults to spread out the work and get the job done is all that is needed.  It's simply more efficient. (not to mention much less costly at recharter time.)

Edited by frankpalazzi
  • Upvote 1

25ish scouts.

1 SM

1 ASM

4 Committee members

8-10 or so parents help out a lot as needed

We don't typically register every parent as as MC due to cost, but do register those who camp with the troop (and are drivers for events).

I really don't understand the point of having so many adults as committee members.  The ratio of ASMs to youth is one thing, but 13 committee members???   Enough adults to spread out the work and get the job done is all that is needed.  It's simply more efficient. (not to mention much less costly at recharter time.)

Some Troops in this area will have a new parent be a committee member for a year before being considered as an ASM.  It can help the parent to get out of Cub Scout mode.  

Some other Troops in the area require the parents to be either a committee member, an ASM or a merit badge counselor.

honestly I don't get it either.

Part of the reason ours is so big is they are trying to build the pool for BOR's, and they for some reason want only MC's to sit on boards.

Personally, I would not sign on a MC unless they were taking a specific job and indicated interest/willingness in doing it. (treasurer, QM, etc..)....  Except I do see value in having a small number (1 or 2 maybe) of general MC's that pitch in at random..... but these would be people with proven track records of attending and doing.  We have folks that I still don't know & have never officially met!

In our case, I think I would just set up a troop level BOR orientation for willing parents, similar to what is done for MB counselors.  That way we would have a pool to pull from, and they would all be familiar with the program and what the BOR is.   I would probably require that they have our CO required youth training and background check, but would not register them as MC's unless doing a regular POR type job.

There's a method to my madness when it comes to having all adults registered as MC's.

1) They all pay their registration.  It doesn't cost the troop anything.  Because they have a $$ stake in the game they are more apt to take on requests throughout the year.

2) They are all YPT trained and know the routine.

3) They are all trained in their role as MC (taking them from the role of "just a parent" to a member of the committee, i.e. focus from just their scout to all the scouts.

4) Most apt to react in the affirmative if asked to drive, go on an outing, sit on a BOR, etc.