Mama Bear has good news!

On the eve of St. Nicholas, I am proud to announce that my son was awarded the rank of Eagle Scout.  I have never seen him so nervous.  Did not help that my hubby told him he would not need his sash and when we got to the community center, saw another Eagle with his sash on and had to race home for the sash before the meeting which would begin in 5 minutes.  The committee took me in first anyway, which gave hubby time to go home to retrieve sash.

The committee was soooo very nice.  Asked me a couple of questions and then it was my sons turn.  He went in there and did what he does best.  The answers he told my husband and I that he gave were excellent!  So much for being nervous.  The committee told him that he did a wonderful job on both his project and the write up, one of the gentlemen even went so far as to say it was one of the best he has seen.

I am so proud of my son and my husband as well.  Thankyou all so much on this forum for all of you words of wisdom and kindness when I needed them to support my son in scouting.

My son is now trying to figure out how he can plan all of these camping trips and such around his sports.   At least he doesn't have to feel that he is slighting either one any longer, the monkey is off his back.

Again thank you so much and happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

• Upvote 2

Congratulations to your son!

You don't mention the words "Board of Review" but I assume that's what this was, your son's Eagle Board of Review.  That being the case, I don't understand why they were asking you any questions.

As for the sash, if the Board was following the rules, your son did not need his sash.  Based on the EBOR's I have participated in, in our district it seems about 80 percent of Scouts do wear the sash, but they can't fail you for that.

Zuzyson, huzzah!

Yeah, I'm curious, too.  Why would you have to answer questions to the committee, assuming this was the EBOR?

@, many councils (like ours) comprise their EBoR's mainly of troop committee members with one district representative who coaches committee members on appropriate questions, the goals of the review, etc .... Other's comprise them entirely of district representatives, typically from the advancement committee. In both cases, the board may be referred to as a committee.

The SM, sometimes the parent, introduces the scout to the committee and waits outside.

The sash really wasn't necessary, but I can see how, if the guy in front of you has his, you'll feel naked without yours.

Edited by qwazse

The SM, sometimes the parent, introduces the scout to the committee and waits outside.

From zuzy's post it sounded like she was briefly meeting with the board on her own, before her son entered the room or sat down at the table or whatever the arrangements were.  Vclose and I seem to be wondering about that.

• Upvote 1

From zuzy's post it sounded like she was briefly meeting with the board on her own, before her son entered the room or sat down at the table or whatever the arrangements were.  Vclose and I seem to be wondering about that.

Correct.  From the way it was written, I got the impression she was being interviewed by the EBOR in advance.

I knew about the different ways councils staff their EBORs; my Scoutmaster introduced me before my EBOR.  The way this was written, Zuzy gave me the impression that she was being questioned by the board before her son went in.

Correct.  From the way it was written, I got the impression she was being interviewed by the EBOR in advance.

I knew about the different ways councils staff their EBORs; my Scoutmaster introduced me before my EBOR.  The way this was written, Zuzy gave me the impression that she was being questioned by the board before her son went in.

I dunno. If a parent were available, I'd love to talk to him or her before hand. Just to know how things are going or let them know of how proud we are of their son.

We're pretty informal in these parts. It's in our culture to let everyone who wants to say something have a say. So, we'd never think there would be anything wrong with having a conversation with the parents. We're usually reading their letter of recommendation anyway.(Remember this town has a history of closed doors leading to massive job losses. See other topics on letters of recommendation.)

I don't know if that's the attitude of @@zuzy's committee. But I certainly don't find it as peculiar as others do.