Chosen to be the Scoutmaster of a new troop

You are where I was 4 years ago.  I had 1 boy to start with and so you have a nice head start.  Biggest problem is the lack of leadership of older boys which means you will need to focus on developing a solid basis for leadership at an age that most people tell you it can't be done.  Don't listen to them, it can be done.  Treat the boys like they are 14 year olds and let them step up to the plate,  They can and will do it.

You are where I was 4 years ago.  I had 1 boy to start with and so you have a nice head start.  Biggest problem is the lack of leadership of older boys which means you will need to focus on developing a solid basis for leadership at an age that most people tell you it can't be done.  Don't listen to them, it can be done.  Treat the boys like they are 14 year olds and let them step up to the plate,  They can and will do it.

Thanks.  The nice thing is that we are starting with a mix of 1st years, 2nd years , and 4th years.  Just a couple from each age group so at least we aren't all 1st years.

I have more faith in them than me.  I expect that I will learn a lot.

Edited by mashmaster

Get the CC to rally the parents for you.

Commit to training. Tell the boys you expect them to do the same.

You've seen on this blog that there is plenty of good advice for nearly every problem an SM has had.

Have a plan.  Share it with your ASMs.  If no ASMs, recruit some.

Sometimes, you'll do too much.  Sometimes, you'll do too little.  It's a learning process.

Freely admit your mistakes to the Scouts.

Do your best.

• Upvote 1

Best advice I got early on as a head coach.  Young boys will go overboard to please and accept challenges.  Tell them what you want them to do, always ask something just a tad above their perceived ability and they will try like heck to accomplish the task and succeed, for you as much as for them.  SMART goals are never a bad idea.  

Never been in your shoes. But if I found myself there, I think I would (1) start developing best practices with respect to conduct of troop business, (2) get everyone involved in recruiting, and (3) develop a good, strong calendar well ahead of time so scouts and their families can plan.

With respect to (1), this encompasses several things. For example, you need to establish and define the relationship between the SMs and the Committee as well as the troop and the CO. I know that Scouting already has a plan for all that, but sometimes the implementation is difficult to comport with theory because people are involved. You also need to make sure you have a budget, and that the money and the financial records are discussed at every committee meeting. You need to establish procedures for keeping and maintaining all manner records, from financial to troop equipment to advancement. You also need to develop processes for advancement, including expectations.

With respect to (3), you can set dates and things, but make sure the youth pick the themes and make the other plans. But it really helps for the scouts and their parents to block out certain weekends for campouts, for example, or high adventure. Don't be afraid to ask others to contribute. This will also force you to think about what activities you want the troop to participate in. District Camporee? Annual Scout Fair? Anything with the OA? Summer Camp? High adventure?

I know a lot of this sounds daunting. You might try looking at the websites for some of the larger troops in your area and see how they handle some of these things. You might also visit them and ask questions.

This advice isn't sage

but my 2 cents

a couple good reads for any scouter IMHO, both new to get grounded or experienced to get refreshed....

BP's Aids To Scoutmastership

can be read online here   http://scoutmastercg.com/aids-scoutmastership/

Clarke Green's "So Far So Good"

https://scoutmastercg.com/get-clarkes-books/

and I would really focus on Patrols.... with everything happening at the patrol level

I like the logic behind what Clarke Green said about one aim one method.... with the aim of building character and the method is the patrol method.    Encourage the scouts to do the stuff that scouts do and shield them from the rest of it....