New Cub Scout Requirements as of November 30th 2016!

Actually, cold weather is not the main impetus for the change. The primary reason is that many chartered organizations do not permit camping for boys as young as cub scouts, and so this gives them a better, more clearly established option for completing the adventure without having to resort to camping with boys they feel are too young. Hence the name change as well - from Camper to Outdoorsman. Since a large percentage of the Cub Scout program is chartered through organizations who go with this option anyway, it makes sense to provide a new name and new options to complete this important adventure.

In general, however, I think that the new program changes make the whole thing far too easy. I will be ignoring most of the changes with my Webelos den since I found that not only could they complete their Webelos and Arrow of Light ranks within the year I have with them, but they have even found time to complete 3-4 elective adventures in addition after the ranks have been earned. It's all in how the leaders organize their time and work with the families, not how "hard" the requirements are to complete.

Maybe that's just the over-achiever in me, lol.

Only CO that I know about that doesn't allow camping at the Cub Scout level is the LDS church. In my neck of the woods, I actually lost a Cub and his family my first year as a DL because "you don't camp enough."  And my pack was one of the most active ones with 3 pack camp outs per year.

I admit, I initially was concerned about the new program. It was radically different and I knew it would take heavy pre-planning in order to execute it. BUT after hearing what my sons are goign through, I do like it, and think the 2015 program is better, just needed time to for leaders to readjust. You can not implement a radical change in a program in 1 year. Heck you need about 3 years: one to implement the new program, one to tweak it and work out the challenges, and one year to perfect it. IMHO national is reacting too soon.

At my RTs when it was being unveiled, I not only emphasized the changes, but constantly emphasized planning, planning, planning. I knew from reading the changes that planning would be the key. IT IS PLANNING INTENSIVE (emphasis). The pack I'm associated with, and my wife is the WDL for, is essentially ignoring the new 11/30/16 changes and following the 6/1/15 program because A) those requirements are in their books and it will cause confusion and B) they already made plans for the year and do not want to redo any planning already done. Heck the majority of the Webelos IIs finished the last activity badge's requirement for AOL, and will  be crossing over on January 2nd.

The pack my troop is associated with is essentially doing the same thing. The Webelos IIs are almost done with the AOL and ready to Cross Over. Their WDL is not changing anything. From the quick chat I had last nite, most of the DLs didn't know a thing abut the changes, and the CM isn't promoting the changes. He's continueing with the plans they made last summer.

• Upvote 1

Actually, cold weather is not the main impetus for the change. The primary reason is that many chartered organizations do not permit camping for boys as young as cub scouts, and so this gives them a better, more clearly established option for completing the adventure without having to resort to camping with boys they feel are too young. ... 

Ah ... but that protection was already "baked into" the 2015 requirements.  Because those requirements stated "If your chartered organization does not permit Cub Scout camping, you may substitute a family campout or a daylong outdoor activity with your den or pack."

And note that the "outdoor activity" was not just "run around outside", but "daylong" ... so a more significant (and more fun) activity.  

Frankly, even for LDS and other Units that might have this restriction, being there at a camp, seeing the activity, all of that made for great good fun, and preparation for being a Camper ... even if you left when the campfire program ended.

... I not only emphasized the changes, but constantly emphasized planning, planning, planning. I knew from reading the changes that planning would be the key. IT IS PLANNING INTENSIVE (emphasis). ... 

Right on ... and all the more reason to share the planning and "Put All Den Leader Guides Online for Free!"!  If, as the Modifications introduction says, "Some Den Leaders are having difficulty fitting all the Adventures required for advancement into their program year", making it easier to share the Adventure plans and get other Parents, helpers, teachers, Boy Scouts, Troop Leaders, etc. to help deliver the Adventures would reduce difficulty.  Many hands make light work, right?

And goodness, sharing the Adventure / activity leadership is a good thing, especially in Webelos, which gets more complicated.  Even under the "old" program, there was something called "Activity Badge Counselors" who would specialize (sort of like Merit Badge Counselors).  Giving them "just the one Adventure they need" is just helpful, friendly, courteous and kind, etc.!

As the Cub Scout writer Bill Smith always noted: "In Cub Scouting, you’re either a den leader or your main job is to help den leaders. There is no other choice."  

How is this giving Den Leaders flexibility?  Seems like it's giving the kids flexibility, and making a nightmare for the Den Leaders.  Or is the DL choosing which "optional" requirement the Den should be doing?  

If it's the latter, than the way I'm reading it (at least for Tigers, I haven't read the other ranks/ages), is that a requirement now says "Complete Requirements 1 and 2 plus at least two others" meaning, as DL, I can, based on my assessment of the boys, our available time, where we are in the program vs year, etc, have them do all the requirements.... OR...  Should we be running into time issues, family schedule problems, ect, I can, as DL, shorten down that Adventure to 1, 2 and 4 and call it a day.  This seems to be how you'd give actual flexibility to the Den Leaders to run the program for their Den in the best possible way for their boys.  Not just a "lets find the quickest way to get these kids done by January" update.  

Edited by Gwaihir

How is this giving Den Leaders flexibility?  ... a requirement now says "Complete Requirements 1 and 2 plus at least two others" meaning, as DL, I can, based on my assessment of the boys, our available time, where we are in the program vs year, etc, have them do all the requirements.... OR...  Should we be running into time issues, family schedule problems, ect, I can, as DL, shorten down that Adventure to 1, 2 and 4 and call it a day

I think that the key flexibility is what you describe, allowing a Den Leader to "pare it down" to shorter/fewer sessions, or to allow a Scout who "misses a day" to still earn the Adventure Loop ... for example, the Backyard Jungle Adventure, now "My Tiger Jungle" has a 3 session activity in the Den Leader Guide.  

The Adventure has five "requirements":  a one foot hike, two birds, plant a tree or something, build a birdhouse, and go for a walk and listen to nature.  

Old requirement was "do all five".

New requirement is "Complete Requirement 1 plus at least two others".  

So, you can do all three sessions of the Den Leader guide, and someone who misses one may still have earned the Adventure Loop, or at least won't have as difficult a "make up at home" task (like building a birdhouse).

Or as Den Leader, you can say "I can't build a birdhouse so we're not doing that one" or "we're out of time ... we're not going to do the birdhouses", and the kids still earn the Adventure Loop. 

Now, a point that some can make is ... this gives such an easy button that a Scout could do the one foot hike, two birds, and go for a walk and listen to nature, and not get to do the "hands on / digging in the dirt" elements ... the true "fun stuff".  And now that I've made that point ... yeah, that's too bad.  Better to have to do either birdhouse or plant.  

I think that the key flexibility is what you describe, allowing a Den Leader to "pare it down" to shorter/fewer sessions, or to allow a Scout who "misses a day" to still earn the Adventure Loop ... for example, the Backyard Jungle Adventure, now "My Tiger Jungle" has a 3 session activity in the Den Leader Guide.  

The Adventure has five "requirements":  a one foot hike, two birds, plant a tree or something, build a birdhouse, and go for a walk and listen to nature.  

Old requirement was "do all five".

New requirement is "Complete Requirement 1 plus at least two others".  

So, you can do all three sessions of the Den Leader guide, and someone who misses one may still have earned the Adventure Loop, or at least won't have as difficult a "make up at home" task (like building a birdhouse).

Or as Den Leader, you can say "I can't build a birdhouse so we're not doing that one" or "we're out of time ... we're not going to do the birdhouses", and the kids still earn the Adventure Loop. 

Now, a point that some can make is ... this gives such an easy button that a Scout could do the one foot hike, two birds, and go for a walk and listen to nature, and not get to do the "hands on / digging in the dirt" elements ... the true "fun stuff".  And now that I've made that point ... yeah, that's too bad.  Better to have to do either birdhouse or plant.  

right, that's why I was saying that in a truly "flexible" program, the Den Leader can still have the boys do all the requirements.  It says "at least", it doesn't say "do 1, 2 and one more of the other ones".  The benefit now would be that should you run into big obstacles that would impede your den, you can effectively pair the adventure down it's most basic minimums to ensure the program is moving forward and you're not holding things up to the point where it will have down stream ill effects.  Conversely, if the kids are moving along well, you can challenge them and open them up to more of the adventure's experiences by having them complete more of the requirements.   

If that's the way it's meant to be, I think this is a positive change.  

right, that's why I was saying that in a truly "flexible" program, the Den Leader can still have the boys do all the requirements.  It says "at least", it doesn't say "do 1, 2 and one more of the other ones".  ... 

Ah, and I see what should be in each of the adventures, just to be sure.  

Statements like "Complete Requirement 1 plus at least two others" to make it clear that doing it all is OK.

And not statements like "Complete 1–3 and one from 4–6".

Because it is technically possible that a leader or parent might think "No, we can't do more than one from 4-6!"  So, the language should add there "at least" and it should work for all.

I know that's the way it should work.  Frankly, I train leaders on this basic rule of thumb adapted from Bill Smith years ago:  

"If it's fun for kids ... and fun for families ... and safe ... then it's Cub Scouting!"

It doesn't have to be an item in the Advancement requirements ... 

• Upvote 1

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to run things that way and play it by ear.  The whole point being, as long as the kids are having fun, having more requirements that facilitate them exploring and learning isn't a punishment.  If we looked at doing requirements as punishment, why are we even an organization?  If I see things getting bogged down, I'll trim fat and keep things moving so the boys are engaged and having a good time.  

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Having finished several deep dives through the requirements changes, I've updated the page at http://www.southfultonscouting.com/node/3557 to not only show exactly what got changed and what didn't change, but now also add comments intended to be a practical guide to whether you need to look at the new 11/30/16 language, and whether when those might be a useful alternative. 

Some of the comments after each Adventure encourage (sometimes plead) that dens avoid the “easy button†approach.  Doing the June 1, 2015 handbook elements will often result in the best outcomes and experience in Cub Scouting. 

There appear to be unanswered questions about why these changes came down, and more will be known, I am sure.  For me, I want to make the program better, because Scouting is a good program that we need to help remain strong, so the ideas in that page and related pages are all about helping kids and families and making the program better in light of all this.

If you like it, share with your friends, if you don’t, let me know how to make it better!