Before the purists jump in, I'll point out that like Stosh, the main function of our camper is as a portable hotel room to save money on hotels and food.  As they say, a Scout is Cheap--er, I mean Thrifty. 

I'm an RV'er and on your side, but I have to think that in many cases, most perhaps, this isn't really being intellectually honest.  Unless a camper was bought at a very bargain price, and it's used it a lot, it'll likely cost more per night in the long haul than hotels.

Considering purchase price, maintenance, fuel to drive or tow, campground fees, etc....

RVing is a great way to travel though, and I'm like you in that i love having my own mattress, my own shower, etc.... and it's good family time.

(I had a popup, and traded up a few years ago to a class c motorhome)

I still like camping though (in a tent), and that's a small part of my appeal in being active in my son's scout troop.  It's the only excuse I have anymore to sleep under the nylon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have the 'Old Gray Hair Patrol,' complete with a patch! When I become scoutmaster here in a couple weeks I plan to take our patrol a few steps farther and make sure we all have scout to 1st class s

I have mixed feelings..... If not very careful, the idea crosses a line.... well maybe it crosses that line anyway.....   Scouting is a game for boys, with the aim of building character.  It's real

Go ahead, bring your pop-up camper. We're hiking five miles through rocks and bogs to pitch our tent. No motorized vehicles, so have fun dragging it.   Seriously, if I can get physical distance bet